Minimal Quiver: 4 Boards Max

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Like Retodd said, tough to choose only 4 but I’m game as well....
I’ve never had small wave boards as good as my Propers from local shredder and start to finish board builder Andy Prunauer. Since getting small wave boards from Andy I’ve stopped getting any type of fish or grovel boards from anyone else
5’2 EPS/epoxy Cosmo2
View attachment 94705
5’10 Burch Asymm, this one just feels comfortable and I ride it without ever wishing I was on another board when waves are clean and up to OH. Does what I want without any hiccups. Got waves on it during a trip to Kandui that I won’t forget. Poly/PU
View attachment 94706
You can’t go wrong with an FCD Huevo. Nothing fancy or attention grabbing but a damn good board with a quality build. If I only had to have ONE board for all conditions and wave sizes I’d be hard pressed to choose something other than my 6’8 XPS/epoxy Huevo
View attachment 94708
To round out the complete quiver, I’d go with my 9’4 Burch longboard. Not as heavy as my classically built Tylers so it’s easier turning. But with double stringers there is still some of that good weight and glide to it. It’s the best overall longboard I’ve owned
View attachment 94709
your quiver blows my mind.

Reactions: waxurDyl

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
If I went with boards I have now it would be:

5'3" stamps banjo fish
5'6" talon grovel shortboard
6'2" arakawa amplifier
11' mabile glider

but . . . i feel like my quiver needs some work.

had a bunch of boards for a long time and want to try some different boards.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
My quiver right now is:

6'6" Lost Speed Demon that will snap as soon as I breathe on it. Multiple buckles - has been a template reference board for a long time.
Daily driver: Well-aged 6'6" HPSB with a little sneaky volume to handle meatier waves - works in everything from thigh high to solid OH+. Thick stringer, strong glass, solid board, it flows. Still stocked on it after 10 years. Terry Senate is the man.
6'7" Lost roundpin that hasn't been needed in a while
8'2" Proctor pintail in the rafters that also hasn't been needed for a while.

Want to get a thinner, lower volume 6'6" that's a little quicker than the current driver. A semi-fish like board might be nice but those are more like a diversion than a staple.

But, nah, don't really need much more. I go with what's tried and true for me and don't really deviate too much. The pair of 6'6"s are enough of a quiver. If I needed to stack up to 4 boards in the quiver, I'd just use the other two as duplicates so they can be used as backups in case of breakage/needed repair.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I've harped on it before but I'm shocked at how small SoCal goes. Even if Souths are two HH closeouts every 45 minutes, BM is too sketchy, Blacks is too crowded, and El Porto is too closed out....
Mainland is half the price and 1/3rd the time, ditto Hawaii. I'm a road trip from Reef Road. You're a road trip from Mavericks and Todos Santos.

Where are the ground covering, bump eating, long range choob shooters? Where is the board that, when you're spinning on your first one, and you're at maximum poopy pants, you feel the thing implacably driving forward, the surf still feels big to you, but you and your board don't feel quite so small anymore?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Twin Fin, 5’?
70s Style Single Fin, 6’?
Thruster/Quad 6’?
Small gun, 7’4”

Lots of foam. Heavy glass. All swallow tails.

Last edited:
Reactions: urchined

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
6'0 stamps fish (fair to good)
6'2 Stamps flare (avg to good)
7'0 Nautilus (avg to very good )
11'0 Chris craft. (paddle training on this flatness to average)

hard chioces for just 4. good question.

close seconds.
6'8 vector. (fair to very good)
7'6 flat tracker (fair to very good)

Reactions: urchined

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
F-Rocket is awesome because in small/medium waves it's like a fun quad egg shape, but in big surf it is a legit step up.
Racer is 100% correct. F-Rockets are great, wish I could ride em more often, but my Huevo quiver gets more action. 90% of the days in SoCal just don’t warrant the
F-Rockets. The yellow 6’10 is magic, it’d be in my 4 board quiver if I rode it more often, but there aren’t enough big swells for it here
7’4/6’10(great in big winter PV)/6’6/6’2
C0C6A733-9800-4576-9236-D432302D4365.jpeg856FE44E-BA0F-438A-95CC-1690C0725E83.jpeg

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Racer is 100% correct. F-Rockets are great, wish I could ride em more often, but my Huevo quiver gets more action.
90% of the days in SoCal just don’t warrant the F-Rockets.
I've been riding mine in head high waves when the crowd looks thick. Mines only a 6'6 and I'm 6'1 so I can still ride it like a shortboard in smaller waves. It's really fun. I catch a lot of waves and bum guys out.

Reactions: retodd and waxurDyl

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
4 boards is not a quiver :cautious:
Bwah?!

I do actually fine with a two-board quiver. Everything from 1-8'. And, really, depending on level of masochism regarding being undergunned for fun (I am too old for that sh*t now), you can really get away with a 1 board quiver - simple HPSB squash tail thruster, no gimmicks. All around board that has always worked in most every condition - why deviate?

I'll show myself out now. :bricks:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
* He who should not be named, 5.8 Rasta Torus Twin
* JS Monstabox, 5.10
* I need a 6.2 .... not sure what it should be, but thinking T Patterson IF15
* I need a 6.6 ....for some reason I'm wanting a fish-esque step up, maybe another from he who should not be named, Entity pin.

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
Around here my 4 board quiver would be:
-Vernor Mini Simmons or Kinetic Deodorizer
-An easy-peasy HPSB - maybe WRV El Jefe
-Tube shooter - Super PigDog or Lost Mini Driver
-Summertime foamy

This is what is should be but somehow I've gone in the completely wrong direction.