Minimal Quiver: 4 Boards Max

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
4 boards is some BS, man. Might as well be my wife's idea...
A practical 4 for me (I would be fine riding these 96% days in SD):
5'6 Hydrodynamica GMM2 (XTR) for knee-high +
5'8 Mitsven DH tk fish for thigh-high to OH
5'9 Tomo SP2 (XTR) for waist-high +
5'9 Mitsven winged quad fish for chest-high +
*Leaving out the R. Blackbird stepup since I've only pulled it out 3 days in last 18 months.

For Reforest, an All Tomo MPH 4:
5'6 Hydrodynamica GMM2 (XTR) grovel
5'5 Evo (XTR) all-around
5'9 SP2 (XTR) punchy-good
5'9" Omni (LFT EPS) barrels
Was searching the forum and came across this thread.
Wondering if anyone else's Top 4 has changed in the last year and a half? I've drank all the koolaid and gone full album retard. They are just too fun for the waves I surf and my current style/age/ability. Would probably want to upgrade the first two to lighter builds than PU. #centerfinsareoverrated

6'4 PlasmEgg twin (PU) gravel - weak
5'8 Akila con fish twin (PU) weak - avg. waves
5'10 Lightbender twin (varial) avg. - good
6'1 twinsman RP (PU) mini stap for HH+

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
10'6" mitsven glider
5'9" stamps fluse
Slightly enlarged stamps gx maybe 6'1?
Wider outline 6'6" with gunny tail. 5 fin config either from rusty or mitsven

it's really fvcking sad that it makes my stomach uneasy thinking about only 4 boards
Changed a bit

Dank Farts Album Balance Groveler
Twinsman or Spark Plug
GX
6'6" Mitsven Stap

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Revised cuz I dumped a bunch of boars.

5'7 Album Psalmic - You know the deal.

6'0 Hess Traveler - Goes in anything stomach high to solid overhead beach break. A true "daily driver" for those that like fishy outlines. A good wave quad fish.

Want an alt stap in the 6'8-7'2 Range. Townsend, Traveler, MOTE?

8'3 Rusty Blackbird - My only remaining Blackbird. The best of the bunch, and so it remains. For the medium big hollow days.

8'6 Hess Traveler - For the extra grande days. Flat deck, wide point forward, swallowtail gun. Max paddle power and drive for wave hawking, getting in early, and driving around big sections. Makes the 8'3 feel chippy.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Same as everyone else it seems.

- fish at mustache height
- stubby shortboarf eye to forehead height
- GH egg at 6’10
- Rusty Blackburd at 6’6
Not much change. in current quiver speak it’s

- plasmic at soul patch height
- light bender at mustache height but this slot is on the chopping block
- GH egg (same as above)
- Blackbird can now be a 6’8 to account for my aging but my current is only 6’3.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
trusty 5'6 RNF retro, might be updating with something else
auditioning a spot for a 5'8 Lightbladder/Aipa Con Fish/RNF96
5'10 Mini Ghost
6'3 Blackbird, which hasn't been ridden in the better part of a year

having oeste's boards on loan have me thinking i need to go up 1-2 liters on everything

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Not much change. in current quiver speak it’s

- plasmic at soul patch height
- light bender at mustache height but this slot is on the chopping block
- GH egg (same as above)
- Blackbird can now be a 6’8 to account for my aging but my current is only 6’3.
Do you have anything around FUPA height?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
4 board quiver is what I'm carrying right now, partly because that's what I can get inside my car.

6'0 simmons-ish flat, square thing from Dale Walker. This one is my favorite board ever. It's my longboard. Weirdest looking, hardest to figure out, fun versatile board. You have to move around a lot and always be in just the right place on it, but once you dial your steps in...I've ridden this board from zero feet to pushing double overhead and it is a rocket ship with no regard for wave height. Fin changes make it wildly different, switching up twins and singles. It doesn't like hollow waves at all, square peg round hole, so I also have:

5'11 chilli hot knife. Kinda thick and wide, but not chunky. Probably my favorite board ever. The curves are perfect. Basic high(who am I kidding...mid, at best, with me on it) performance shortboard, but it is so intuitive. It goes where you want it to go, like you're riding the wave, never fighting the board. Good at any size up to overhead, but needs a wave to be a wave, have a little push to work with.

5'10 chilli rarest bird. My inch shorter step-up. I think this is my favorite board ever. Crazy fast, somehow both stable and loose. Needs more power to get working, handles as hollow of waves as I've found. Not the paddler I thought it would be, but if you can pull off the fall into waves style, it handles any face. I can't surf well enough to make the most of it, sometimes I kick out of waves and I can feel the board being disappointed in me. is that all you're going to do on me...I'm sad now...sorry surfboard, I'm trying. let's look for barrels together, it'll be ok.

6'8 Rusty Blackbird. I'm still trying to not judge this board harshly. It hasn't been in the waves it was meant for. But it just... doesn't move the way I hoped it would. It paddles ok. Very stable when taking off, which my other boards are not, that's nice. The V bottom near the nose...maybe it's doing something. I can't really see it. Bottom turns feel good, but look what turning it off the top turned me into:
1429794706-gettyimages-75955753.jpg

And then there's what happened when I left it on my lawn, which used to look like a pebble beach green, but after just one night now looks like this:

raised-bog-cushion-bog-Cordillera-Blanca-Peru.jpg

Not going to jump to conclusions before I get it into some juice, but so far it isn't my favorite board ever.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
5'8" Lost Retro Fish: gets the most use
6'0 Ghost: for hard breaking days chest high or better
7'2 Hollow wood replica of a 70s gun: Great in hard offshores and when I want to go straight
10' Wavestorm: Tiny days, fitness paddling and fishing.

Reactions: j_mac

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
5-7 Lost Hydra in Blackdart. Not my favorite board ever but has about the lowest end of anything I own other than a longboard. When I'm surfing well it will shred some pretty small mush but the short length in relation to my height sometimes bothers me. Looking to replace with something even chunkier, either a mini sims or a small wave midlength.

5-10 Plasmic EAST Carbon Varial. Super versatile and easy and one of the most fun boards in my quiver.

6-3 Sharpeye I72. Could be this or the Driver but I always have to have a good thruster for quality days. The Sharpeye has a little more low end so it gets the nod.

6-10 Blackbird. Quiver staple. Such a good board. Would like a bigger one some day but to be honest this one handles up to the level where it goes from fun to scary for me and I'd be okay with having an excuse. I don't think I could be friends with anyone who doesn't like the BB.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
5-7 Lost Hydra in Blackdart. Not my favorite board ever but has about the lowest end of anything I own other than a longboard. When I'm surfing well it will shred some pretty small mush but the short length in relation to my height sometimes bothers me. Looking to replace with something even chunkier, either a mini sims or a small wave midlength.

5-10 Plasmic EAST Carbon Varial. Super versatile and easy and one of the most fun boards in my quiver.

6-3 Sharpeye I72. Could be this or the Driver but I always have to have a good thruster for quality days. The Sharpeye has a little more low end so it gets the nod.

6-10 Blackbird. Quiver staple. Such a good board. Would like a bigger one some day but to be honest this one handles up to the level where it goes from fun to scary for me and I'd be okay with having an excuse. I don't think I could be friends with anyone who doesn't like the BB.
You tried a manta?

Reactions: Aruka

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
SoCal has really been reminding me how important the low end of my quiver is. I'd love to have more big boards on this list but they barely get surfed. This winter I almost exclusively rode the middle two - pulled out the step up a few times but mostly just because I wanted to surf it and didn't really "need" it.

5'6" Lost Bottom Feeder - don't love this as much as I used to and kind of want to try out other "ultra" grovelers or maybe just admit defeat and go the log route
5'8" Stamps Banjo - my main squeeze
5'10" Stamps GX - when I feel like getting my QS grind on
6'3" Pyzel Ghost - when I notice it has too much dust
Yep, definitely some changes. I’ve mostly surfed three boards the last year.

5’6” VS manta - FTW, tiny wave destroyer
5’8” Banjo - DD waist to head ish
6’6” VS shadow mid twin hipster stap - head high n up reefs
(6’3” ghost - shoulder and up beaches but I barely ever ride it at this point)

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Nope. I've never even seen one in person. If I ever see one used I will hop on it but for some reason I've always been a little turned off by the outline.
I can see that. It’s not pleasing to the eye. If you ever stop in sd on one of your mex trips you can try mine. We always have smol waves somewhere.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Really hard to pick 4 boards these days, but oddly enough I could pick a 2 board quiver fast..... Aipa/Ghost. The other 2 are tossups, but think I would go...

-5'7" Aipa Contemporary Fish
-6' Pyzel Shadow
-6'2" Album Moonstone
-6'3" Pyzel Ghost