Mental Health thread

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
my brain is fried, my soul is tired, my body is trashed and it's been almost two years since i last surfed so i'm thinking something like this would be pretty good for me right about now...

1683841569530.png

i think i could spend a couple weeks just getting my cross-step frontwards and backwards back in order

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I sure could use some of that, flat for foreseeable future :foreheadslap:
Dude. We’ve covered this. There is room for one more. And I spend lavishly on all those around me. It’s going to be pumping down there in a couple weeks. The choice is yours. Money is not an obstacle, TIME is the only truly valuable commodity. That and empty Mexican point breaks

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Life throws yet another curve ball my way, and I got struck square in the chest. It fucking hurts too this one.

About a decade ago, our neighbor rented his illegal airbnb apt to, of all people, the vp of airbnb from madrid who was down here for some business. He spent an afternoon with my wife and I, we reminisced about Madrid life, explained our scene here and showed him our home and animals. He fell in love with our Podenco, Marvin, a total character of a dog....

IMG-20220605-WA0008.jpeg

Long story short, Mauro left to Madrid and back to his life. A week into it, he started thinking about us, and some of the things we'd said about living life over chasing duckets. He quit his job, sold everything and broke his lease. He came down and rented from us for a month. He was SO HAPPY. He moved to the tourist town up north, git a pt job in tourism and enjoyed his bachelor life. He had brought a pointer with him named Curro, and after becoming involved in the dog rescue program here adopted a Podenco, he named Chester. The guy was the life of the town. Literally everyone knew him, had only good things to say about him, etc...

Long story short, he moved back to town here this year because of the high rents and lack of availability recently since the island population exploded after the lockdowns. One day we crossed paths and he mentioned living in this town would be the death of his social life, that he understood how we do it as a couple, but that he was authentically worried he'd start to consider the goats after a while. I told him to be sure and pick a sexy one. We all laughed and went our way, promising to meet up for an afternoon of chit chat sooner than later. Two days later we were walking our dogs and again ran into him, but only waved from across the street because he was saying goodbye to a young lady he'd clearly spent the night with. He emphatically waved and reminded us of our promise to hang out soon.

Yesterday we got the news he died of a massive heart attack. Apparently he was with a lady he'd brought home, and just after finishing making love he stood up, said he felt dizzy and dropped dead.

My wife is crushed, her sister too... they were both closer to him than I was. He was a perfectly healthy 50 year old guy. Just turned 50 in March.

Fucking wierd.

:cry:

There's a gofundme to take care of his dogs and his funeral. He had no family what so ever.

We're all totally stunned by his loss.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That’s awful and sounds like a widow maker event. The Left Anterior Descending artery. Some people (myself included) can just have the genetic luck to accumulate plaque in THAT specific artery; regardless of health age fitness level etc. docs noticed and established mine early (43) so we now know to have it checked every couple years

they call it a widow maker for the obvious reason, but more specifically for these other reasons. It’s a genetic thing and when it’s unknown/ those are almost ALWAYS the cause of those fatal heart attacks of healthy active men in their 50s. A “LAD” event is virtually a death sentence. I’ve read that if you have a LAD heart attack sitting IN A HOSPITAL, you only have a 25% survival rate. Outside? Single digits.

Im terribly sorry bud, that’s way too young in this era

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Held my dad's hand a couple days ago as he breathed his last. Cried so hard it felt like someone kicked me in the nuts. The pain and sorrow of losing him is offset by an equal measure of joy as the love pours in from all the people who shared his life. He lived a very good life. Took care of his immediate and extended family. Contributed to his community. Served his country. Passed on his love of nature from his Dad to me and I passed it on to his grandsons.

Fly high, Dad. I love you so so much.

View attachment 153383
Much love brother. Much love.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Dude. We’ve covered this. There is room for one more. And I spend lavishly on all those around me. It’s going to be pumping down there in a couple weeks. The choice is yours. Money is not an obstacle, TIME is the only truly valuable commodity. That and empty Mexican point breaks
Offer was and is appreciated!

• Love
Reactions: wedge2 and Subway

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Sorry for everyone's losses...Dealt with quite a few lately and I can say that a quick trip has me stoked for a little while - though I wonder why I even left (oh yeah that work thing). Apparently a new (larger) sw filled in today with the outer spots showing. Most of these pics are from a popular spot that shifted over the winter into two river mouths, the smaller of the two straight throwing on the more southern sets. This was a mix of S, SSW and SW (apparently some of the Tahiti swell in the SW)- super consistent and got lucky with offshores all day, not super normal in middle Nica everyday.

ALL waves were ridden on my freshly shaped 5'8 twinnie from ThrashCraft (a local guy making gooood boards). I couldn't get off it. Didn't even jump on my 6'0 Chilli A2, though I needed it on a couple drops (as shown). Get down there!!!!!! Swell looks super consistent :socrazy: :socrazy:

1684110944903.jpeg1684111003993.png1684111022182.jpeg1684111049131.jpeg1684111072164.jpeg1684111313524.jpeg1684111370661.jpeg 1684111335269.jpeg

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The 2 week forecast (knock it all you want but Surfline is eerily accurate with their extended forecast) for the region is promising.

As of now, Surfline is suggesting a very large and prolonged south swell starting May 27 (when we arrive). 10-15 feet on the 27th (we fly in that day, too late to surf) but it very well could be mental for the first few days of our 8. We’ll see. It’s active down there right now for sure.

Reactions: wedge2

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
The 2 week forecast (knock it all you want but Surfline is eerily accurate with their extended forecast) for the region is promising.

As of now, Surfline is suggesting a very large and prolonged south swell starting May 27 (when we arrive). 10-15 feet on the 27th (we fly in that day, too late to surf) but it very well could be mental for the first few days of our 8. We’ll see. It’s active down there right now for sure.
Wedding season is starting (yeah I'm at that age) so my summer is fcked. I've got three weddings and bachelor parties and so on or I'd try and make it out there...I think Mexico is next on the list, but as you can tell I like left points so Nica has been great. Saving up for three weeks in INDO atm - Get IT!

Last edited:
Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah weddings and Bacchys suck up entire chunks of time and financial resources of one’s prime young-adult years.

I agree with my late father. Everyone should just elope. The large expensive (especially destination) wedding thing has gotten dystopian at this point.

bachelor parties- fine if they’re in a surf zone or at the very least a ski mountain so you have something fun to do in between bumps and blow jobs ;)

Old curmudgeon OUT

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I told my daughter that if and when she gets married, I wouldn't give her any money for the wedding, but I'll toss in 10 grand for a raging reception. She can get married here for free:

1684165793270.png

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Kinda feeling blah, surf went flat, fishing as been so so this spring. Had been training fairly hard for 2 mile swim in july but starting to get sick of that. Get to do some Demo on shithole crackhouse tomorrow so maybe some actual misery will snap me out of it?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Sorry for everyone's losses...Dealt with quite a few lately and I can say that a quick trip has me stoked for a little while - though I wonder why I even left (oh yeah that work thing). Apparently a new (larger) sw filled in today with the outer spots showing. Most of these pics are from a popular spot that shifted over the winter into two river mouths, the smaller of the two straight throwing on the more southern sets. This was a mix of S, SSW and SW (apparently some of the Tahiti swell in the SW)- super consistent and got lucky with offshores all day, not super normal in middle Nica everyday.

ALL waves were ridden on my freshly shaped 5'8 twinnie from ThrashCraft (a local guy making gooood boards). I couldn't get off it. Didn't even jump on my 6'0 Chilli A2, though I needed it on a couple drops (as shown). Get down there!!!!!! Swell looks super consistent :socrazy: :socrazy:

View attachment 154210View attachment 154211View attachment 154212View attachment 154213View attachment 154214View attachment 154215View attachment 154217 View attachment 154216
The surfing pics are cool and all, Rambo statue = epic

• Haha
Reactions: wedge2

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
When Ortega dies and his wife is either dead as well or at least nullified I think the people of Nicaragua have a number of great leaders waiting to get their chance to bring Nicaragua into the 21st century. Most of them were locked up during the summer before the most recent elections.

Ortega may very well be dead and his wife is just keeping him propped up (literally and figuratively) a La “weekend at Bernie’s” to keep her own slim grasp on “power”. She is universally loathed. Her husband is equally loathed by 90% of the country but he still has his Sandinista history giving him what little mandate may remain.

when they are gone that Rambo statue may be holding a soft top in one hand and a yoga mat in the other

• Haha
Reactions: wedge2 and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
When Ortega dies and his wife is either dead as well or at least nullified I think the people of Nicaragua have a number of great leaders waiting to get their chance to bring Nicaragua into the 21st century. Most of them were locked up during the summer before the most recent elections.

Ortega may very well be dead and his wife is just keeping him propped up (literally and figuratively) a La “weekend at Bernie’s” to keep her own slim grasp on “power”. She is universally loathed. Her husband is equally loathed by 90% of the country but he still has his Sandinista history giving him what little mandate may remain.

when they are gone that Rambo statue may be holding a soft top in one hand and a yoga mat in the other
I was in the far north last spring and it was already crawling with fly by night Yoga/Wellness retreats.

Last edited:

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I've got my eye on a few properties - 200k buys a lot down there and I've worked in home building/renovations b/f I got my sh!t together...See what happens here in the next year or two.

Reactions: mundus