Mental Health thread

nrthcty

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 30, 2009
N.S.D
G.W. University Hospital.
Burbs inside the Beltway.
UofMd.

I know spring, summer, fall and winter there.

I know the flies, skeeter and ponies on that island out at O.C.

I know the Secadas.

I know what it's like to sit in Albert Einstein and Abe Lincoln's laps.

I know what a sunrise on the west side of the Shrine of Immaculate Conception looks like when peaking on LSD.

I know Georgetown, before it went all yuppie.

I know Dupont Circle back when it was the gay and counter culture spot before it got redone.

I know a D.C. that maybe does not exist anymore, especially seeing my brother, who still lives there, cannot wait to sell and gtfo.

I love D.C. and the Bullets and Redskins.

Born & raised in DC too and all your points bring back many memories:

+ Royal Palace in Dupont Circle - the source of many of my teenage boners
+ hardcore/DC punk shows in the old churces & various clubs (930 etc)
+ Burrito Brothers in Georgetown

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Depends (no pun intended) on level of care and where yo are located. At the end, my Mom need100% hands on care. It ran about $10K/mo at a good facility.
My mom "pays" us €1250/mo.

That includes "everything".

I had to quit work to take full time care of her.

And she gets freaked out when I tell her she needs to pay more, she brings in 2500/mo from her 2 pensions.

10k/mo indeed.

:socrazy:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Held my dad's hand a couple days ago as he breathed his last. Cried so hard it felt like someone kicked me in the nuts. The pain and sorrow of losing him is offset by an equal measure of joy as the love pours in from all the people who shared his life. He lived a very good life. Took care of his immediate and extended family. Contributed to his community. Served his country. Passed on his love of nature from his Dad to me and I passed it on to his grandsons.

Fly high, Dad. I love you so so much.

Screenshot_20230501-191517.png

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
my thoughts go out to you all losing family.

Although the positive note you mentioned resonated. Outflow of love and support from those who are part of their lives is a blessing.

stay up bruddahs!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Man what a gut punch. I’m sorry brother. I know they say how powerful it is (long term) to have been there at the end holding his hand, and in time I bet it will in fact become a cathartic memory. But man that’s gotta be tough to be there.

Reactions: crustBrother

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I turned 44 today. My uncle drank hisself down at 43

go me? I guess? Thanks for dying young, Uncle Greg, and showing me just how young you can really be and simply drink yourself to death

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
So sorry for your loss Crust. Sounds like your dad had a fulfilling and impactful life.

A ton of us dealing with grief and loss this year.
Dont try to deal with everything solo and reach out to friends if things get overwhelming.

Wish my uncle didnt. Such a trip that he had reached out to me a year ago about his youngest son struggling
His sons both surf and youngest is a ripping skater. He wanted to link us up to talk as we would be able to relate.
Had no idea he was in such a bad place himself.

It is now my mission to get together with his sons for some family surf healing time.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Sorry crustbro

I went to my dad’s visitation Wednesday. It was pretty cool to talk with all his friends. He was well-loved and well-respected. Several guys told me how he helped them keep their sobriety. I guess he sponsored a bunch of guys - he didn’t really talk to me about that kind of stuff. I’m still reeling in flashes.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Talked to my cousin who lost his dad last night. Was a really heavy moment, he told me he felt at peace knowing he isnt alone and has more family in this world. We both cried and I promised to get out to Sweden soon. Suicide leaves such damage and emotional qreckage for your loved ones left behind.

Off to Indo today and then will be planning a Sweden trip to meet my cousin when I get back. Take care of yourselves erbb bros