Mental Health thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Teladoc is a great option too. Might have “session by session” pricing. I think talkspace had a six month commitment? I have no clue

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Something positive.
Pops has been dealing with Early onset Alzeheimers.

The docs got him on some new drug and I will be damned if he is not like his old self again.
Not sure how long it will last so I am calling him constantly, think he may be sick of it already ha!

Appreciate your parents while you can.
Been "appreciating" my mom since July 2020, non stop, no interruptions.

Wishing my 2 brother, or younger sister, gave a rats arse enough about her,or me, to come give me at least a week long break.

Wishful thinking... ftw.... NOT!

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Another guy I grew up with hung himself. The pace of this is mind blowing. I think I have to take this like it's a 12 step program or something. One day at a time. I have spent far too much time looking back or worrying about what's going to happen down the road. Rarely am I ever where I am. Be good.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Another guy I grew up with hung himself. The pace of this is mind blowing. I think I have to take this like it's a 12 step program or something. One day at a time. I have spent far too much time looking back or worrying about what's going to happen down the road. Rarely am I ever where I am. Be good.
1679670497063.jpeg
Wherever you go … there you are

It’s not limited to the physical plane

That would be easy.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That’s brutal man. It won’t get easier unless you will yourself to simply not feel the pain as much. We’re empathetic, mostly, and suicide is just one of those sudden deaths that hit so much harder than a tragic but “act of god” type death. Accidents and illness etc. So at a certain point, feeling ALLLLL of that pain for all those lost souls, souls who were likely lost for much of their earthly lives too, it’s just too much to subject oneself to. And you’ve been on a hell of a run recently, and that’s coming from a man who’s buried most of his family and far too many friends, starting at a very young age.

easier said than done. The sober “slip” suicides suck most of all for me personally and I gotta try reeeal real hard to let some of the pain just drift away, like a dark cloud in the distance. It’s still there, and always will be. The dark cloud is always just on one side of the horizon or the other. The trick is keeping it far enough away to be mindful of it; but not be prey to its storms and destructive forces

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I won’t spoil it by telling you I typed it on my iPad whilst in my sauna post peloton ride.

But it is indeed a metaphor or strategy or what have you that I have thought a lot about. The English guy narrating the headspace mediations uses the cloud metaphor a lot and it’s always resonated with me. I try to apply to it the really hard stuff.

probably a better coping device than selling all my possessions and fleeing off into south east Asia on a great and final bender to end them all

BTW i am so NOT a spam bot from head space OR talk space

Reactions: Sharky

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I got no words of wisdom
just want to agree That you’re seeing a lot of sh*t lately
hang in there, man*

* those are the only words I could come up with even though they seem maybe kind of a little inappropriate

Reactions: Sharky

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
So sorry sharky.
The deaths of all my friends who committed suicide sit with my heavily.
the best way I can honor them is to live life to the fullest and be the best person I can to those I love.

Be kind to yourself, talk to loved ones or us degenerates in a pinch.
maybe go on a surf trip with your kids.

There are better days ahead.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Screenshot_2023-03-28_155951.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-28_110610.jpg

Late season swell run at Lobos got me all..... :jamon::socrazy::monkey::foreheadslap::crazy2::cheers::beer::applause2::bowdown:;):cool::eek:o_O:censored::love::waving::shaka:

Efit: yesterday was HUGE AND UNRULY. here's hoping it calms down today. :waving::shaka:

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
6 days out of the house, made me wish it was 3 weeks really, but truth be told... there is no betterer place on earth for mental health than sitting listening to my dogs snore cause they are so happy I'm back. :bowdown:

Reactions: Subway

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Been awhile since I checked in. Got laid off (expected) sat on my ass unemployed through christmas.
Was going to cruise for a lil while longer but the fear crept in.

Got a job on my first interview, stoked.
Similar but different, doing compliance for chemical sales now, making sure customs paperwork is right for trains and ships.
Money is a big step up but the stress is too, hopefully I can get in the water more consistently soon.

Stay up Sharky, I have no words but my condolences.
Friend just got out a voluntary psych ward stay, no breakdown or anything he just said he "needed a break"
Job burn out.
I respect him for doing that rather than hitting the bottle

Reactions: wedge2 and Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah man. In a career like mine if you want a sabbatical that won’t just get you unemployed, you had better just go to a nice facility in the countryside that takes your insurance. Boom. 90 day vacation. You don’t even need to be rehabbing or detoxifying. Just psych burnout and emotional exhaustion- if a doc signs off on it as well as your insurance, they would basically have to treat it as if I went on paternity leave for 3 months. And I would spend 3 months in a hotel-Esque retreat, just mediating and doing yoga and napping and exercising.

this started as another random subway freestyle ramble but now I’m actually spinning my wheels. I could definitely find a nice place in the mountains to take a month off and not loose my job :)

catskills and poconos alone probably have 10 places each

Reactions: Waterlogged05

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The fear mongering in nyc is getting so old and toothless that even the Post is moving on. New York is fine. Old restaurants made it and are thriving. Many new ones opened. The amount of entertainment options, many of them pandemic-eta innovations that actually have staying power- it’s an awesome place to work again.

And Spring in the village and soho is simply sublime. All the beautiful people are out, and the women are wearing as little as they can get away with and still get a seat at Balthazar