Mental Health thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah kind of works- I still have another 2 weeks of no surfing anyway, but at least I can ride

and ask any of my friends- I can be an enormous douchebag but I appreciate the sentiment! :) :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: mundus

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Dec - February on the east coast flat out sucks. Less light, it's cold, and the fishing drops way off - but i've found growing herb is pretty Zen and rewarding. Made it through another winter, getting the garden going this week and prepping the plants (tomatoes, peppers, ganja) and just being outside helps a lot.

Reactions: mundus and Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah false spring fever is a drawback to living on the ocean in the northeast. It’s April, the sun is out, the days forecast for the region is a balmy early spring day in the 60s, meanwhile down here on the MV Long Beach, we have 30 knot winds coming off a 45 degree ocean and the air is about the same, but with a windchill….So you run outside to feel the glorious spring sun and warmth, develop an acute case of seasonal affect disorder in about 2 seconds flat, and run right back inside, build a fire, and shiver for the next month.

Reactions: wedge2

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah false spring fever is a drawback to living on the ocean in the northeast. It’s April, the sun is out, the days forecast for the region is a balmy early spring day in the 60s, meanwhile down here on the MV Long Beach, we have 30 knot winds coming off a 45 degree ocean and the air is about the same, but with a windchill….So you run outside to feel the glorious spring sun and warmth, develop an acute case of seasonal affect disorder in about 2 seconds flat, and run right back inside, build a fire, and shiver for the next month.
Yeah, I'm sure we'll have a Noreaster sit on us for a week this coming March after a few 70 degree days.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Dec - February on the east coast flat out sucks. Less light, it's cold, and the fishing drops way off - but i've found growing herb is pretty Zen and rewarding. Made it through another winter, getting the garden going this week and prepping the plants (tomatoes, peppers, ganja) and just being outside helps a lot.
Another feature of Climate Change is no winter, but long cold springs that go directly into heat of summer :violin:

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Another feature of Climate Change is no winter, but long cold springs that go directly into heat of summer :violin:
They are finding cobia as far north as CT nowadays..They didn't have regulations or limits on them in NY and CT because Cobia never were caught that far north until the last couple seasons.

• Wow

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
They are finding cobia as far north as CT nowadays..They didn't have regulations or limits on them in NY and CT because Cobia never were caught that far north until the last couple seasons.
We always used get a few Barnegat south around the buoys in late August, now it is a regular thing in numbers. You starting to see any Tarpon in the Chessie?

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
We always used get a few Barnegat south around the buoys in late August, now it is a regular thing in numbers. You starting to see any Tarpon in the Chessie?
Yeah, they've been showing for a few decades...very rare, but usually a couple hookups a year down near VB

Reactions: mundus

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Driving to stratton Thursday in the new whip I picked up yesterday. I present the brand new long body 3 rows of adult sized seating grand Cherokee “L” Limited. Significantly longer than the regular Limited and SO many bells and whistles. Game changer for the grand Cherokee line

more importantly. Forecast calling for a foot of snow Friday night up there. And we ride with private guides all weekend skipping every lift line

View attachment 149250
Nice ride!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I'm not a "car guy" per se, and have loved Jeeps since my first one: a hand me down 94 Wrangler soft top from my big sister, when I was 18 years old. But this new L series...it's insane. it's like driving a slimmed down and sleeker suburban, but with much better acceleration, handling, and gas mileage. there are USB ports and cup holders all over the damn thing, and instead of looking odd, they blend right in. a LOT of thought went into the interior of the new model. the dealers can't keep them on the lot. Even the place that had the white one i wanted (after calling 5 others that didn't have ANY on their lots) said "we get about 10 of these per shipment, and they are all sold within 72 hours or so" and that was told to me AFTER the deal was closed (meaning it wasn't false urgency to close the deal.) I guess on Long Island anyway, fears of recession are greatly exaggerated

The guy at the table next to me was an Hispanic business owner, and we chatted briefly as we were waiting for various forms and stages of the buying process- he was there for a new work truck.

A few minutes later when his rep came back with paperwork, i overheard him say "ok i'll run to the bank and get you that $65,000 check now and we'll wrap it up" all casual.

Also, they had a 700 HP lifted and tricked out Dodge Ram parked in front of the main entrance: sticker price? $137,000. for a 4 door, short bed ram. Yes, 700 HP and tires and all the style extras of course, but WTF is buying a pick up for $137,000? That's a nice little condo in Florida right there

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
That Jeep looks nice.
I've never been drawn to them, particularly. A friend had one and it seemed nice. He liked it.
But you make a good point. The Suburbans looks funny to me know.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That Jeep looks nice.
I've never been drawn to them, particularly. A friend had one and it seemed nice. He liked it.
But you make a good point. The Suburbans looks funny to me know.
i would go so far as to say they have found the perfect mid to ALMOST full size suv. keeping the qualities of the smaller while gaining huge bennies with just that extra however many inches in every direction. A Durango w/ 3rd row seating would be a very similar size, I sat in one while i was goofing off at the dealership, and they are fine; but not nearly as refined and comfortable and "modern" as the JGC.

And they also don't cost $85K. it FEELS like a sporty $85,000 SUV, but with Jeep comfort and reliability. I don't need a Range Rover Sport for twice the price, and all the mech issues that plague that brand to this day. I've leased new Jeeps, 39 months at a time, for going on 10 years now, never once have i brought one to a shop for anything other than a nail in a tire

My dentist just got a RR Sport, he loves it, it's been in the shop 3x in the first 6 months he's owned it

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
i would go so far as to say they have found the perfect mid to ALMOST full size suv. keeping the qualities of the smaller while gaining huge bennies with just that extra however many inches in every direction. A Durango w/ 3rd row seating would be a very similar size, I sat in one while i was goofing off at the dealership, and they are fine; but not nearly as refined and comfortable and "modern" as the JGC.

And they also don't cost $85K. it FEELS like a sporty $85,000 SUV, but with Jeep comfort and reliability. I don't need a Range Rover Sport for twice the price, and all the mech issues that plague that brand to this day. I've leased new Jeeps, 39 months at a time, for going on 10 years now, never once have i brought one to a shop for anything other than a nail in a tire

My dentist just got a RR Sport, he loves it, it's been in the shop 3x in the first 6 months he's owned it
Good for you, yolo bro. It sounds like you’ve found yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile, in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife, and soon to be surfing in another part of the world.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

Might want to head up to VT thurs if possible, big storm fri and sat.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
leaving LB Thursday morning. We’ll be in Long House by 3 pm…a foot of snow Friday night, and private guides to cut us through every lift line all weekend. Just lap the gondola for hours until exhaustion. That line will be up to an hour on Saturday for everyone else :waving: :cool:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Tried out an hour long Pilates class on one of those Reformer machines... not sore the day after, but today 2nd day after, feel like I played full contact football. Going to give it a go at 2x week for a month, see what it does for my back and neck. Surely something to add to the efforts for a better state of mental health. If I can strengthen my core, and get rid of even a bit of my neck and back pain, mental health should thrive. At least, that's what I'm aiming to achieve.

:violin:;):waving::shaka:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
leaving LB Thursday morning. We’ll be in Long House by 3 pm…a foot of snow Friday night, and private guides to cut us through every lift line all weekend. Just lap the gondola for hours until exhaustion. That line will be up to an hour on Saturday for everyone else :waving: :cool:
I just have to **** on your parade a bit, I bet Lb was going off yesterday and the swell is still here. Plus more to come, we thank you for being drydocked and bringing the swell. The old reverse subwayed :)

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I just have to **** on your parade a bit, I bet Lb was going off yesterday and the swell is still here. Plus more to come, we thank you for being drydocked and bringing the swell. The old reverse subwayed :)
Yes it was firing yesterday and I will not be attending Surfline this week or next :):shaka: