Mental Health thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
you know you're getting old when every week or so someone you love or know dies before you.
I think people retire just so they can attend all the funerals and reminisce with other survivors.

surfing was supposed to be a distraction from all the stresses of life but these days it's just an additional source of stress unless you're lucky.

I found woodworking/woodturning on a lathe with an ultra sharp tool or cutting shapes or re-sawing on a bandsaw to be mentally freeing because of the level of concentration and agility required so you either don't screw up the piece or hurt yourself badly. we re-sawed these branches we saved from a 100+yr old wiliwili tree they cut down at iolani palace to make wood skins for our composite surfboards and handles from the left over scraps for wiliwili koa letter openers. Nothing like a wooden letter opener or fountain pen to rage against the digitalization of the cubical world. And a wooden manual back massager to release the work stress and rubberband guns from the scraps of those to shoot targets in your cube or fellow employees you don't like.. Plus all this effort seems to only bring smiles on those that are gifted such.
I wish to order several clocks please!

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
More drinking does wonders for mental health ;)
The irony, just had a few gallons of salt water thrust down my throat... it wasn't too good for my mental health as I pondered that I could drown and die, the ocean... always willing to take a life for free!

However, having survived, gotten my bearings and dropped into a few beasts, my mental health is now SO MUCH MO BETTA!!!

:waving::shaka:

Reactions: Aruka and Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The irony, just had a few gallons of salt water thrust down my throat... it wasn't too good for my mental health as I pondered that I could drown and die, the ocean... always willing to take a life for free!

However, having survived, gotten my bearings and dropped into a few beasts, my mental health is now SO MUCH MO BETTA!!!

:waving::shaka:
It’s tiny here and about 25 degrees F. However there are some snow showers on the way- a perfect snow globe within which to bundle up, walk down to my jetty, and burn a fatty. Might even smoke a joint while I’m down there too ;)

March is booked full of vermont mountain trips. Eleuthera in April. Life is good today

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My girl friend's step dad is dying.

I told if there is anything I can do to help, just ask.

She says, "You could go visit him in the hospital."

I was like "AAAAAAAH!" That is my kryptonite.

I can do any chore but don't make me go to the hospital and sit with a dying person.

I went, twice.

She and I and her sister were the only people visiting him.

He has a daughter and there are bunch of family members who will be looking for a cut when he dies. But they didn't go visit.

I was like Where are those fuckers?

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
It’s tiny here and about 25 degrees F. However there are some snow showers on the way- a perfect snow globe within which to bundle up, walk down to my jetty, and burn a fatty. Might even smoke a joint while I’m down there too ;)

March is booked full of vermont mountain trips. Eleuthera in April. Life is good today
Vt finally getting some snow, recently you seeem to be on the anti subwayed scene.

Reactions: Subway

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Bad rep takes a minute to get,
A lifetime to get rid of.

:shameonyou:;)
“You see that bridge over there? I build that bridge with me bare hands, but do they call me McGregor the bridge builder? No.

You see those brick houses over there? I build those houses with me bare hands, but do they call me McGregor the bricklayer? No.

And you see those boats in the harbor down there? I build those boats with me bare hands, but do they call my McGregor the boatbuilder? Nuuuuu.

But you fuck oooone goat . , . . “
:drowning: :toilet:

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD and Subway

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
you know you're getting old when every week or so someone you love or know dies before you.
I think people retire just so they can attend all the funerals and reminisce with other survivors.

surfing was supposed to be a distraction from all the stresses of life but these days it's just an additional source of stress unless you're lucky.

I found woodworking/woodturning on a lathe with an ultra sharp tool or cutting shapes or re-sawing on a bandsaw to be mentally freeing because of the level of concentration and agility required so you either don't screw up the piece or hurt yourself badly. we re-sawed these branches we saved from a 100+yr old wiliwili tree they cut down at iolani palace to make wood skins for our composite surfboards and handles from the left over scraps for wiliwili koa letter openers. Nothing like a wooden letter opener or fountain pen to rage against the digitalization of the cubical world. And a wooden manual back massager to release the work stress and rubberband guns from the scraps of those to shoot targets in your cube or fellow employees you don't like.. Plus all this effort seems to only bring smiles on those that are gifted such.
I started woodworking in my 50s and love it. I only have to please myself and am never rushed. Very stress-reducing and satisfying.

Reactions: Aruka

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Vt finally getting some snow, recently you seeem to be on the anti subwayed scene.
Driving to stratton Thursday in the new whip I picked up yesterday. I present the brand new long body 3 rows of adult sized seating grand Cherokee “L” Limited. Significantly longer than the regular Limited and SO many bells and whistles. Game changer for the grand Cherokee line

more importantly. Forecast calling for a foot of snow Friday night up there. And we ride with private guides all weekend skipping every lift line

B7DEF9F1-FFDB-4039-A805-0AED3B22F7E9.jpeg

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Driving to stratton Thursday in the new whip I picked up yesterday. I present the brand new long body 3 rows of adult sized seating grand Cherokee “L” Limited. Significantly longer than the regular Limited and SO many bells and whistles. Game changer for the grand Cherokee line

more importantly. Forecast calling for a foot of snow Friday night up there. And we ride with private guides all weekend skipping every lift line

View attachment 149250
Good on ya. Nice to see someone doing it right who is not a douchebag. I am gonna try to enjoy the run of crappy cold surf we got comming up. Plus counting the days until the stipers arrive.