Mental Health thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I just read an obituary for a former student of mine. He was only 26, great kid, super smart. It didn't give a cause of death but you gotta think suicide.
I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this one.
thats the worst. i'm sorry bud

Yeah i see those a lot, and it's almost always OD or own hand :(

Reactions: hammies

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I sure hope so, have to be honest though... I struggle to remember when was the last time I felt no physical pain.

My family tells me I'm a super human to lead the life I have lived, with the pain I've suffered taken into account.

I just know one thing, it hurts when I'm sitting around kicking my wounds feeling sorry for myself, just as much as when I get off my arse and do stuff, despite the hindering pain.

Get this, apparently my bones are porous, not solid. Like Samuel L. Jackson .... in that movie with Bruce Willis where they're antithesis to each other..... I think it was called "Unbreakable ".

Lupus, the gift that keeps on giving.

:crazy2:
I have had a chronic pain condition for 20 years. I take your approach to it. Pain is very much modulated by your mindset.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Just had a surprisingly fun session in surf that looked like crap from the beach, first one in while. Feeling great until I find something to ruin my mood :)

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
My yogini wife, bless her fiery little spirit, was blocked in by a work-van when she was trying to pull out of the garage to go teach a private client this afternoon. She left a SCATHING note, enough that even i calmly tried to talk her out of leaving it on the windshield. I even said it wasn't very "Namaste" of her... Nope nope nope, I'm an idiot. THat just had her pissed at the van-guy AND me.

So naturally when i heard the tradesman return to his van, i came out and had a good laugh about "women" and i said "bro, I'm sorry she left a nasty note, but at least i kept her from calling the cops and having you towed" and we laughed and laughed. Literally, the only thing LBPD is known for is a rapid towing-response to a blocked driveway. they LOVE that easy money

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
My yogini wife, bless her fiery little spirit, was blocked in by a work-van when she was trying to pull out of the garage to go teach a private client this afternoon. She left a SCATHING note, enough that even i calmly tried to talk her out of leaving it on the windshield. I even said it wasn't very "Namaste" of her... Nope nope nope, I'm an idiot. THat just had her pissed at the van-guy AND me.

So naturally when i heard the tradesman return to his van, i came out and had a good laugh about "women" and i said "bro, I'm sorry she left a nasty note, but at least i kept her from calling the cops and having you towed" and we laughed and laughed. Literally, the only thing LBPD is known for is a rapid towing-response to a blocked driveway. they LOVE that easy money
She must have loved the "Namaste" comment!

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I mean, it’s karma amirtie? She left an angry note, and guess what? She bumped her forehead getting something out of the jeep when she got home and I was all “see? You of all people should know better“

Also, if it was some lazy kids little street crawler, or a Tesla or something, I would have called the tow myself. But it was just a guys’ beat up old work van, easily 25 years and 300k on it. Last thing I want to do is make another headache for a guy who has to actually work for a living (no offense to my fellow lap top elitists, but, let’s be real, other than stress and mental burnout, we just yell and nag and cajole via e-mail for a living, we don’t “work“ work)

Reactions: Aruka and mundus

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I mean, it’s karma amirtie? She left an angry note, and guess what? She bumped her forehead getting something out of the jeep when she got home and I was all “see? You of all people should know better“

Also, if it was some lazy kids little street crawler, or a Tesla or something, I would have called the tow myself. But it was just a guys’ beat up old work van, easily 25 years and 300k on it. Last thing I want to do is make another headache for a guy who has to actually work for a living (no offense to my fellow lap top elitists, but, let’s be real, other than stress and mental burnout, we just yell and nag and cajole via e-mail for a living, we don’t “work“ work)
Good call. It’s getting harder and harder to find a good contractor, plumber, electrician etc for whom living near the coast viable, let alone even worth their while to drive out from who knows where.

First world problems, out!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil

Sometimes I wonder how freeing doing simple work would be. stress and mental burnout are hell and a slow death.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Sometimes I wonder how freeing doing simple work would be. stress and mental burnout are hell and a slow death.
Yeah, but physical labor, even skilled, takes its toll on your body, and no amount of therapy, meditation, and/or stress management techniques can stop the physical damage done after years of hard manual work

stress you can learn to deal with, even thrive on when needed. But swinging a hammer for 40 years, often with no health insurance or any safety net whatsoever, is a hard way to live.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Yeah, but physical labor, even skilled, takes its toll on your body, and no amount of therapy, meditation, and/or stress management techniques can stop the physical damage done after years of hard manual work

stress you can learn to deal with, even thrive on when needed. But swinging a hammer for 40 years, often with no health insurance or any safety net whatsoever, is a hard way to live.
True. But I was thinking simple work, the kind with no complications... not necessarily physical... but something mechanical, you just turn off your mind and do it. No unexpected issues to resolve, no annoying clients to deal with, no creativity necessary. Just the work. Maybe working on a factory or anything that's really mechanical (not necessarily physical).

I know it sounds weird... but the thought often crosses my mind.

Reactions: Subway

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Sometimes I take on these stupid monkey jobs to help with deadlines, like adding 1000 food categories to a recipe site, or replacing 500 images for optimized versions, etc... Once you're doing something like that, time flies... no complications, no stress... sure, lots of repetition and a bit boring, but it's also refreshing to simply turn your mind off... you need time to do the work but that's it. There's some appeal to it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
True. But I was thinking simple work, the kind with no complications... not necessarily physical... but something mechanical, you just turn off your mind and do it. No unexpected issues to resolve, no annoying clients to deal with, no creativity necessary. Just the work. Maybe working on a factory or anything that's really mechanical (not necessarily physical).

I know it sounds weird... but the thought often crosses my mind.
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 7.09.49 AM.png

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Sometimes I take on these stupid monkey jobs to help with deadlines, like adding 1000 food categories to a recipe site, or replacing 500 images for optimized versions, etc... Once you're doing something like that, time flies... no complications, no stress... sure, lots of repetition and a bit boring, but it's also refreshing to simply turn your mind off... you need time to do the work but that's it. There's some appeal to it.
Whenever I get mentally stuck burnt out on something at work, I go out to the shop and help the guys assemble/ build product. It allows me to refocus and I usually come up with a solution after an hour or so. Working with your hands is very healing and as 9'4" noted above, you get to see the results of your work.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Cthulhu help me if I ever am forced to work ”skilled” manual labor ever again. I tried, I really tried, in my drunken early 20s, to learn basic carpentry and renovation type handiwork. Grouted (poorly) an otherwise beautiful river stone bathroom… Even landscaping, and landscape construction, building stone walls etc. I just sucked. I could drive a big dump truck with a trailer, and back that sh!t up and everything…that was about the only blue collar man-skill I could claim.

The guys from Honduras, Ecuador, etc….twice my age and half my size, worked circles around me, and were so friendly, and kind of pitied the young hungover gringo who was really trying to get better at <insert task here>, and just sucked. it Helped that I could speak Spanish with them. They were always lookin out, showing me how to use the nail gun without killing myself or others, that sort of thing

but yeah, Johnny DIY I am not

• Haha
Reactions: brukuns

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
you know you're getting old when every week or so someone you love or know dies before you.
I think people retire just so they can attend all the funerals and reminisce with other survivors.

surfing was supposed to be a distraction from all the stresses of life but these days it's just an additional source of stress unless you're lucky.

I found woodworking/woodturning on a lathe with an ultra sharp tool or cutting shapes or re-sawing on a bandsaw to be mentally freeing because of the level of concentration and agility required so you either don't screw up the piece or hurt yourself badly. we re-sawed these branches we saved from a 100+yr old wiliwili tree they cut down at iolani palace to make wood skins for our composite surfboards and handles from the left over scraps for wiliwili koa letter openers. Nothing like a wooden letter opener or fountain pen to rage against the digitalization of the cubical world. And a wooden manual back massager to release the work stress and rubberband guns from the scraps of those to shoot targets in your cube or fellow employees you don't like.. Plus all this effort seems to only bring smiles on those that are gifted such. Minimum waste is the goal.

Attachments

Last edited: