Manera Booties?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I got a reply email from Manera:

"It's hard to make a split toe 100% waterproof as it is a very difficult piece to seal/stitch.
Usually we would just let some water flow in, your body should warm it and then you're good."

I will be returning these to Thalia St.

$25 wasted on S&H plus the post office lines through this whole process.

Lesson fvckin learned.
You don't need booties in this county man.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You don't need booties in this county man.
Usually. The place I was surfing on the regular last month was running 56 degrees some mornings by my watch. That's booties temp for me.

Also gets cold south of the border when the wind comes into play. And on surf trips. I hate the tropics.

Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Re: round toe vs split to leakage, my last two booties were o’neil heat 3mm. first round toe and then split toe.

rounds lasted a few seasons before leaking. splits leaked on the first surf.
My last booties were a bottom of the line O'Neill split toe. 2mm if I'm not mistaken. I think they were $30.

They did not leak as bad as my Maneras ($70) and worked just as well. Shame I left em in a rental car.

Considering the price they're charging and the cheaper non-leaking split toe options out there they coulda made a better bootie.

I'll never understand why companies put an obviously crap product on the market. FCS Freedumb leash rings a bell.

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Just finished the tub test. At first I didn’t find any leakage but I eventually started to feel water seeping in the split of the toes. Bummer.

I actually think the booties feel nice, first impression wise. The toe leak is unfortunate.

My Xcels are so blown out that these may still be better. Also I can’t find my size in anything else so I will probably give these a shot. I’m thinking of putting neoprene cement between the toes to see if that helps.

• Sad
Reactions: jkb

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
If anyone gets a lead on size 10 3mm booties in SD slide into my dm’s. Drove up to OC for work and called every shop I could think of. No normal adult sized booties to be had

Reactions: CutnSnip

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That's the thing. They feel great on land, then 10 minutes later you have a bunch of water in the boot.

Considering the price of other booties on the market there's no reason they couldn't have just used the same toe as their other bootie.

Reactions: MathDebater

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Nope. i saw one pair of 8’s at Hansen’s but mostly 6-7 and 12-13.
Have you tried evo.com ? I ordered a couple pairs last spring on sale. Patagooch split-toe 11 are great so far this winter. Imperial Motion (?) 11 was way too big, actually still need to send them back before it’s been a year

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Usually. The place I was surfing on the regular last month was running 56 degrees some mornings by my watch. That's booties temp for me.

Also gets cold south of the border when the wind comes into play. And on surf trips. I hate the tropics.
everybodys diffrent when it comes to whats cold. thst said i hate booties more than i hate cold feet.

over sand (or rocks no urchins), once the water drops below 50 ill surrender to them. spots with urchins lm booting up regardless.

wont be getting any maranras. hotline internal split toe and maybe give the soikelite a go

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Update:

After my initial email with Manera where they told me their $70 3mm bootie leaks I emailed them back with a little bit of additional details about their defective design and lack of functionality. Never heard anything back.

Thalia St is refusing the return, saying they can't return them because they've been worn. They suggested contacting Manera. :ROFLMAO: I've replied emphasizing this is a defective product and that Manera did not seem interested in helping.

We'll see where this goes.

• Dislike
Reactions: live4swell

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Update:

After my initial email with Manera where they told me their $70 3mm bootie leaks I emailed them back with a little bit of additional details about their defective design and lack of functionality. Never heard anything back.

Thalia St is refusing the return, saying they can't return them because they've been worn. They suggested contacting Manera. :ROFLMAO: I've replied emphasizing this is a defective product and that Manera did not seem interested in helping.

We'll see where this goes.
There's a great shop just down the Street and backs all the gear they sell. Its a bit more core than Thalia St. LOL

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There's a great shop just down the Street and backs all the gear they sell.
That's nice. I've never been to either shop as I don't live in the area and Thalia Street and Jack's were the only online retailers selling them.

If I'm in the area and need a surf shop (not likely) I'll keep it in mind.

Its a bit more core than Thalia St. LOL
Well that makes sense - the core shops wouldn't be interested in selling Manera's leaky product.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
So I wore my old Vissla high seas booties yesterday cause my newer ones were still wet. Remembering this thread, I looked at the toes, and sure enough they also have the neoprene- not hard rubber- between the toe split. Yes, a little water comes in, but I’ve never even noticed it before. My feet haven’t been cold the last 2 winters, and I really like that the booties are so thin-soled, flexible in the toes, and have great board feel. The current patagooch ones are obviously much stiffer.

Anyway, i guess it may not be such an uncommon design detail. But everyone’s different and if it bothers you, it bothers you. Hope you’re able to find another pair you like better.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I've got 3MM O'Neill Superfreak boots. Looks like different material between the toes. I notice some cold on my toes when I first put my feet in the water, but its not like they load up with a pint of water either. I guess the trade off is they are super flexible, comfortable and plenty of room for the leash to get caught between the toes in my Size 15s. :oops:
1610741162579.jpeg