Kyle Rittenhouse - The Truth in 11 Minutes

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Could you rephrase that for better clarity?
Burden of Proof is on a continuum. You can’t have it both ways. The easier you make it to declare someone guilty, the more likely that innocent people will be convicted. When the burden of proof is on the government to prove guilt, beyond a reasonable doubt, it makes it less likely to wrongfully convict someone but in exchange more guilty go free.

It’s built on the idea that it’s “better for 10 guilty to go free than to imprison 1 innocent”.

An AR-15 would be highly effective, even in the hands of an untrained fool, turns out. So you would have done the same as a fool did. Not surprising.
Well I don’t even own a firearm so this discussion is as strawman as it gets. However I will absolutely use deadly force to protect myself or my family from an armed attacker if need be.

I would never have gone to an event like that waiving around an AR-15. Why?
Nor would I, I’m a lot more conflict averse than I used to be. I even aboid drinking establishments after sunset nowadays.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Well I don’t even own a firearm so this discussion is as strawman as it gets.
I didn’t say that you’d shoot and kill a skateborder if they came at you, you did.

However I will absolutely use deadly force to protect myself or my family from an armed attacker if need be.
You already said that you would if attacked with a skateboard. How about a bag of Walmart toiletries?

Nor would I, I’m a lot more conflict averse than I used to be.
Well at least we agree that Rottenhouse was apparently seeking conflict.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I didn’t say that you’d shoot and kill a skateborder if they came at you, you did.
Not sure what you are getting at here. You made an absurd assumption that I would voluntarily put myself in a knowingly dangerous situation with a firearm, which I’ve never done.

If for some reason I were to be attacked just going about my daily business and I was in fear of my life then yes, I will use the most severe and effective form of defense that I have available to me at that moment.

]You already said that you would if attacked with a skateboard. How about a bag of Walmart toiletries?
See my point above effectively determining what is being thrown at you in the dark, during a riot, after hearing gunshots andin a matter of seconds. Google “brain predictive machine”.

Not saying that. Just like I wasn’t actively seeking conflict when I went out to the bars until the wee hours. I simply avoid those situations more now because I get nothing out of them.

Plus, why wait until the night when you can drink beers during the day and be in bed at 9 :beer:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

You already said that you would if attacked with a skateboard. How about a bag of Walmart toiletries?

Both can be deadly weapons

how stupid does someone have to be to attack a person who has a gun with a skateboard or grocery bag

I guess pedo abuser Antifa rioters aren’t known for their brains

all in all in this case EJM

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
See my point above effectively determining what is being thrown at you in the dark, during a riot, after hearing gunshots and in a matter of seconds. Google “brain predictive machine”.
Brains make predictions and react according to their conditioning. I have my doubts, but it may have been possible to train Rottenshouse's brain to respond to the situation that he put himself in so that no one got killed or injured. If he had military training, for instance, or perhaps some kind of high-level security training with firearms. That would be reasonably responsible. But he had no such training. He was completely irresponsible.

The conservative party honors that irresponsibility. Why? Because they've been trained to.

Incidentally, did this ad come up because we've been using the term Rittenhouse?

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 11.11.23 AM.png

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
My personal code of morality is relevant to me. It means nothing to you. And vice versa. Our opinions really don't matter.

"Murder" is legal term. You can look it up. "the UNLAWFUL premeditated killing of one human being by another." And that was settled in a court of law. According to the law it wasn't murder. That's just the way it is.

It would have been wrong for me. I would have never placed myself in that situation. I think going into that situation with an open carry weapon was a mistake. I don't want to kill anyone. And I really don't want to be tried or potentially jailed for such. But according to the law, as decided in the trial, legally he did nothing wrong.

No. There are a lot of laws I don't agree with.
Again, nobody argued against the legality of the trial.

And ethics are not only personal, they are also societal.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
He did the moral thing here. Self-defense and the defense of property.

Morally, people who take my property can forfeit their lives.

See, we have different moral codes. How's that going to work out?
Yes but you're a psychopath who doesn't beleive ethical rules apply anywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Again, nobody argued against the legality of the trial.
I'm not arguing that you made that argument. What you did was when I indicated that we had a trial to decide this issue and I suggested a quick Google to confirm such, you said you had googled it and put up a link to a piece on the difference between law and morality. :shrug:

And ethics are not only personal, they are also societal.
In this country societal ethics are best expressed as law. If the laws get too far out of touch with societal ethics, the laws get changed. Which brings us right back around to the rule of law and the fact that this issue was decided some time ago via an extensive trial.

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
In this country societal ethics are best expressed as law. If the laws get too far out of touch with societal ethics, the laws get changed. Which brings us right back around to the rule of law and the fact that this issue was decided some time ago via an extensive trial.
I thought we agreed that laws and ethics are not the same thing?

The fact that what he did is despicable has nothing to do with the law.

For some reason people who shill for this guy like to equate the two.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I thought we agreed that laws and ethics are not the same thing?
They aren't. However, as I clearly stated, the closest thing we have in this country to "societal ethics" is in fact the law. The law is concrete. The law isn't variable or fluid from one person to the next as are ethics/morality.

For some reason people who shill for this guy like to equate the two.
If you will review you will see I was the one talking about the law. YOU were the one that started conflating morality/law. The only reason we are talking about this is because you repeatedly brought it up.

At this point I'm really not sure what we are even arguing about. This seems more like you are just into arguing for the sake of arguing.

Last edited:

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I accept your concession
No, really what were you trying to say? I assumed it was sarcasm...I'm interested in a logical response - or do you just piggy back off of others who can provide logical arguments (on all sides) and respond with laughing emojis.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Brains make predictions and react according to their conditioning. I have my doubts, but it may have been possible to train Rottenshouse's brain to respond to the situation that he put himself in so that no one got killed or injured. If he had military training, for instance, or perhaps some kind of high-level security training with firearms. That would be reasonably responsible. But he had no such training. He was completely irresponsible.
Agreed. The brain predicts the worst case scenario in times of distress and for that crucial 1-3ish seconds that may be what you see (as in think you see). I’ve seen cars and Trucks gets super squirrely on the freeway and on a few occasions, for a split second I saw an accident that never happened. This is a survival mechanism hard wired into us after hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of years worth of warfare and evading danger. Given the conditions that night, that could easily happen with a plastic bag or whatever.