How’s the stock market?

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
I am thinking mild recession in 2023 followed by recovery in 2024.
That's is a possibility now that the population of the country has taken the checkbook away from the Democratic Party - watch key indicators and have cash ready to invest - be patient there will be an opportunity of lifetime on the other side of this - history says its so.

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
yes. It never gets hot, and it never drops below 40. I like the wind and rain. Imagine a yoga studio in a beautifully renovated old stone barn, maybe with 2 big windows added for visual drama, with that magical and unpredictable Irish weather and views surrounding you. the space heated by a big Peat-fueled fireplace (and actual modern heating, because, 21st century)

I particularly loved when the sun's out, the wind is moderate, then out of nowhere a cloud shows up "spits" at you for a few minutes, then departs leaving nothing but blue skies and a rainbow. It's a dream

And, pro-tip: Irish weather isn't nearly as bad as its reputation. Ask any local and they will tell you it rains FAR less than foreigners assume. We were there 11 days, and only had 1 truly rainy day. had a few spits and sprinkles on a few other days, but mostly had blue skies and rainbows and unicorns to carry our luggage

Finally- i plan on spending probably 6+ months a year in Nicaragua, so going to Ireland from Sept-Nov will be our "winter" where we take a break from the tropical heat. December will probably be NY to visit friends and family. Jan/Feb- choose your own adventure. And back to Nica in March.

Sound good? Life goals: set. Financial goals needed to achieve aforementioned life goals: set

Achievement of said financial goals? maybe 5-7 more years
To much political unrest for me in Nica - I know a bunch of people living down there and I do enjoy the my visits the climate and waves is great and my friends seem generally happy there. Killer plan. Still searching myself

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Making money in the stoke market demoralizes you.

I think any kind of capital gains does to some degree.

That is the inequality of this system.

That said, I am invested in the market.

I don't think it brings out the best me.

• Love
Reactions: enframed

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Finally- i plan on spending probably 6+ months a year in Nicaragua, so going to Ireland from Sept-Nov will be our "winter" where we take a break from the tropical heat. December will probably be NY to visit friends and family. Jan/Feb- choose your own adventure. And back to Nica in March.
Jan/Feb closeouts and pickleball!

• Love
Reactions: Subway

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
That's is a possibility now that the population of the country has taken the checkbook away from the Democratic Party - watch key indicators and have cash ready to invest - be patient there will be an opportunity of lifetime on the other side of this - history says its so.
Of course. Recessions and economic cycles have happened since long before American political parties existed, and the buying opportunities that exist during recessions have existed for hundreds of years.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Sounds like a great plan! - I am interested in something very similar eventually just have not found the right location yet. I think I sold you a Griffin Cheater quad when I lived back in New York ( you came to my office across from Penn station). I can get Irish citizenship - my cousins have already done it and said the process is fairly easy. tell me more and do you need a partner.
Haha I bet that was SenorStoked he loved griffins

Reactions: INDTUBE

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Am more curious about trends (last 20 yrs versus climate (500 yr average?)

Which zone?

View attachment 143377

After some CA friends moved to Oregon and Washington (west of Cascades), about 2-3 yrs in, I asked about the weather and if it is like they expected.

The most common sort of answer is along these lines:

"A lot more forest fire smoke than we thought there would be, hotter in summer too. And the rain isn't so bad, it is the gray skies that suck."

Growing up, forest fires weren't really much of a thing in Western Oregon. They've really come on strong in last 20 yrs, also small town water systems haven't kept up with demand.
Just below the intersection of your immaculately drawn lines 2 and 3 :)

Reactions: Mr Doof

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
To much political unrest for me in Nica - I know a bunch of people living down there and I do enjoy the my visits the climate and waves is great and my friends seem generally happy there. Killer plan. Still searching myself
The unrest is part of the appeal. I was there during the violence in 2018. It was like kids with fire crackers compared to what went on here in 2020, Jan 6th, gang violence etc. I’m not afraid in America either, I’m just saying pound for pound, I’m probably more at risk of civil or common violence in NY than I would be in Nica, especially southern Nica. Nobody there is afraid of Murillo he and his wife hide behind walls. They’re just waiting for them to die so they can elect one of several popular and viable candidates that the Murrillos simply locked up for the summer before the “election”

Reactions: INDTUBE

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Of course. Recessions and economic cycles have happened since long before American political parties existed, and the buying opportunities that exist during recessions have existed for hundreds of years.
Historically - when the Fed is in an inflationary interest raising environment they tend to over do it and overshoot their goals leading to recession. which is why I think a protracted recession will last longer and cut deeper than you think - 18 to 24 months. Real estate is the first asset to be affected and we can already see the beginning of a historical housing crash - I think it will be worse than 2008. Housing values will drop 20 to 50% off its highs depending on the region of the county or world you live in and stock will follow suit. I expect another 75 basis point hike in January followed by another 75 basis point hike in March and a 50 basis point hike in June and a wait and see approach for September. In this environment sitting on the sidelines with cash and watching the blood bath is the best approach.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Historically - when the Fed is in an inflationary interest raising environment they tend to over do it and overshoot their goals leading to recession. which is why I think a protracted recession will last longer and cut deeper than you think - 18 to 24 months. Real estate is the first asset to be affected and we can already see the beginning of a historical housing crash - I think it will be worse than 2008. Housing values will drop 20 to 50% off its highs depending on the region of the county or world you live in and stock will follow suit. I expect another 75 basis point hike in January followed by another 75 basis point hike in March and a 50 basis point hike in June and a wait and see approach for September. In this environment sitting on the sidelines with cash and watching the blood bath is the best approach.
I disagree. 2008 was primarily caused by millions of mortgages that never should have existed. We all know what happened: when the economy went a little south, those homeowners lost their jobs and their homes were underwater. Since the mortgages were sold as investment packages, the investment banks that bought them were left holding the bag to the tune of trillions, so the banking system froze up in a defensive move and the economy ground to a halt.

In this case the only homes that are underwater are the ones bought in the last year, the banking system is in a lot more robust shape than it was in 2008, and even if the unemployment rate doubles it will only be at 6%. I do expect a tech shakeout similar to the dot com bust but 2000 - 2001 was only a mild recession, and we all know that the tech sector came back rapidly and spectacularly after that debacle.

But you are correct in that the next year will be a good buying opportunity.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I disagree. 2008 was primarily caused by millions of mortgages that never should have existed. We all know what happened: when the economy went a little south, those homeowners lost their jobs and their homes were underwater. Since the mortgages were sold as investment packages, the investment banks that bought them were left holding the bag to the tune of trillions, so the banking system froze up in a defensive move and the economy ground to a halt.
The subprime default rate wasn't that much higher than the regular default rate. 15%. So if 1% of regular mortgages went t!ts up, 1.15% of subprime rates did.

IMHO the problem was the leveraged gambling based on those shitty mortgages. If you don't turn around and say your $100 of subprime mortgages is sufficient holdings to make $1000 bets, this doesn't happen.

I don't fault the people who barely understood a mortgage, got targeted by loan writers, got hit with a rate adjustment or lost their job, and walked away from an underwater 30 year debt obligation.

That's the LEAST a business would do in that situation.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The local town is Lahinch or Miltown Malbay? Does the home in question have workable farmland?
Bro-heem, I know my life is an open book on this forum, I shamelessly plaster photos of myself all over the place, and expect ZERO privacy from anything with a battery or power cable, let alone a forum full of surfers of dubious moral character and frightening Internet skills.

However, this convo may be better if we slide into DM's, sexy style. I'll tell you anything and everything you want to know about the property :monkey: :) :computer:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I am getting clobbered too. All my companies are profitable, paying dividends and doing great, but people are selling off as if we are gonna run out of air :cry: