How’s the stock market?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I’d be ok with a decent set of steak knives
This is my go to present for weddings, maybe not steak knives, but good kitchen knives (if invited....notices just get a card).

Then I learned from a co-worker that in some parts of Latin America (where they speak Latin :p ) knives for wedding gifts is just not done.

When I asked why, they laughed and said, "Don't you know how hot tempered we are? Stab stab stab!"

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
This is my go to present for weddings, maybe not steak knives, but good kitchen knives (if invited....notices just get a card).

Then I learned from a co-worker that in some parts of Latin America (where they speak Latin :p ) knives for wedding gifts is just not done.

When I asked why, they laughed and said, "Don't you know how hot tempered we are? Stab stab stab!"
La Guiles are friggin great steak knives and not too expensive. Did those for a friend's wedding after hearing the wife complain that they didn't have any. Good chance this was intentional on her part, women be like that.

However after many a scramble with forgetting to buy a wedding gift and buying one a year later, at this point I plan to start putting a Bennie in a card (will likely scale up depending on recipient and inflation), dropping it off at the reception and calling it good :beer:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Ok Erbb trust, what is the consensus for Wednesday morning. Is the market gonna swoon, or sink? Should I buy or sell options?

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
My guess is slightly up or mostly flat. Based on DXY looking flat and not really doing anything.
I predict a bump, but my confidence interval score is too low to commit. The current inflationary monetary aspects seemingly dwarf any optimism.
R's win big = energy production increase
Tight races = cluster fork, mebbe not the worst thing
D's win big = pride flags everywhere and ammo sales increase

Reactions: r32

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I predict a bump, but my confidence interval score is too low to commit. The current inflationary monetary aspects seemingly dwarf any optimism.
R's win big = energy production increase
Tight races = cluster fork, mebbe not the worst thing
D's win big = pride flags everywhere and ammo sales increase
VSTO for ammo sales and other outdoor stuff :beer:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

you're never supposed to give a knife as a gift

it's a bad omen for the friendship

I gave my ex-wife a chef's knife for her 40th birthday after the divorce was stamped by the courts and she got offended

I just figured she'd need a new knife since I took all the good ones!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: grapedrink and r32

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Looked up who makes Narcan and for the heck of it, bought 100 shares of OPNT at $9.50 on 11/10. Here we are on 11/14, 2nd business day, doubled and buyout by Indivior announced.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 8.25.54 AM.png

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
you're never supposed to give a knife as a gift

it's a bad omen for the friendship

I gave my ex-wife a chef's knife for her 40th birthday after the divorce was stamped by the courts and she got offended

I just figured she'd need a new knife since I took all the good ones!
Believe it or not, I had never heard of this until 10 yrs ago.

I blame family friends connection to Gerber (back when they were good) putting me on the knife-as-a-gift path.

Yeah, we survived until now, but 8% inflation will be the end to us all.
Not that the past is 100% predicative of the future, but sometimes there is something to take away from it:

1668791730178.png

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
FOMC Minutes out shortly... should give the markets a little shake. The meeting happened before the last CPI numbers were out so I'm guessing it's probably hawkish.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Casa Mugrienta to the inflation's not going to let up just because wishful thinking courtesy phone. No strong inclination on it either way myself, but let the drum banger drum bang!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The market went up because in the FOMC meeting, there was an indication that they might slow the pace of the rate hikes going forward.

You were previously banging the drum that the Fed is not being aggressive enough in hiking rates. Therefore, if they think they can slow down, that would make their line of thinking wishful thinking.

BangBangBang!

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink