Hawaii- Done

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
This Air B-n-B sh!t has to stop.

The owners DGAF about the regular residents.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
living in hawaii doesnt make you hawaiian,

does living in california make you californian? i think not
I'm not sure of your point. Are you saying most of the people leaving are transplants? I'm a third generation Californian so I feel pretty Californian, but I'm sure there are people from other parts of the state who would tell me I'm not.

My point is that the people leaving can't outrun themselves and will re-create their miserable conditions elsewhere.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The house at the end of my street is water front with a boat dock. Owner splits his time between Aspen and here. It sits empty 9 months out of the year. He's married to a local girl and I guess she wanted a home here. He's cool so no one really bothers him.

I can't even imagine being rich enough to own a second home that is on the water in Hawaii.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Bend is one of the towns seeing a big increase in out-of-towners buying up houses, not much inventory left now. These folks seem to come for the summers and leave after a few winters!
I have a lot of friends who have moved to Bend from SoCal, east coast, and the elsewhere in the PNW. Nice spot, friendly people. There are lots of worse places to live!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I have a lot of friends who have moved to Bend from SoCal, east coast, and the elsewhere in the PNW. Nice spot, friendly people. There are lots of worse places to live!
Bend recorded a population of 76,693 at the time of the 2010 U.S. Census,[9] up from 52,029 at the 2000 census. The estimated population of the city as of 2019 was 100,421.[10] The Bend metro population was estimated at 197,488 as of July 16, 2019.[11]

Bend has also become a commuter town for a number of tech workers in the San Francisco Bay Area and Seattle metropolitan area despite the extreme commute, due to its appeal to the outdoors as well as its relatively cheap cost of living compared to the skyrocketing rent and housing prices of the Bay Area and Seattle.[40][41]

Dec 18, 2014
Thats another thing here. People don't realize how bad public school is.

My kids will never attend public school. I will go bankrupt or move to the mainland before I allow that.
Thanks - will let my relatives who teach in public schools and wife who graduated McKinley and got MD and MBA know that.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I'm not sure of your point. Are you saying most of the people leaving are transplants? I'm a third generation Californian so I feel pretty Californian, but I'm sure there are people from other parts of the state who would tell me I'm not.

My point is that the people leaving can't outrun themselves and will re-create their miserable conditions elsewhere.
my point, which aint worth sh!t, is that californians didnt create "their miserable conditions" in a vacuum. decades of outsiders moving to the golden state and re-creating THEIR miserable conditions here is largely responsible for the current state of the state.

some of us arent running. with generations of grandparents aunts uncles cousins brothers sisters kids and parents born and died here, california isnt some corporate weigh station. it is our home.

wendell berry, the midwestern luddite, agrarian philosopher wrote about how the hardest stance a person can take in life is to live in only one place. all the sh!t you create, all the relationships you fuck up are with you your whole life staring back at you.

so yeah whatever, people come and go. most think they are moving toward something when they leave, rather than running away from themselves

Last edited:

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
my point, which aint worth sh!t, is that californians didnt create "their miserable conditions" in a vacuum. decades of outsiders moving to the golden state and re-creating THEIR miserable conditions here is largely responsible for the current state of the state.

some of us arent running. with generations of grandparents aunts uncles cousins brothers sisters kids and parents born and died here, california isnt some corporate weigh station. it is our home.

wendell berry, the midwestern luddite, agrarian philosopher wrote about how the hardest stance a person can take in life is to live in only one place. all the sh!t you create, all the relationships you fook up are with you your whole life staring back at you.

so yeah whatever, people come and go. most think they are moving toward something when they leave, rather than running away from themselves
Um, Hollywood dude.

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
This is happening on HatterasGlass' island too. It's so gentrified in town now, all the pirates are dead.
Where's all da pirates? Heard theres some lame netflix movie about the banks?
Being on the world wide radar can be such a downer. fugg the internet and all this tech and insta access, psssh.
Its good how some places will regulate themselves, utmost respect the locals that regulate their spots. I'v been Living on Maui for a lickle bit... seeing the changes is such a bummer :( so manynew trannie planters the place feels like its getting overrun and lamer than ever.\\
If you you are new anywhere show some respect and gtf in line or wait your turn, surf etiquette is the worst it HAS EVER BEEN

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Thanks - will let my relatives who teach in public schools and wife who graduated McKinley and got MD and MBA know that.
Go ahead

If you look at the rates of college graduates and projected incomes of private school in hawaii to public school it’s extremely clear why people take second mortgages and do everything they can for their kids.

Of course you can become successful wherever you go. And there’s plenty of screw ups from private schools. But statistically you have a much better chance in private school.