Hawaii- Done

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
my point, which aint worth sh!t, is that californians didnt create "their miserable conditions" in a vacuum. decades of outsiders moving to the golden state and re-creating THEIR miserable conditions here is largely responsible for the current state of the state.

some of us arent running. with generations of grandparents aunts uncles cousins brothers sisters kids and parents born and died here, california isnt some corporate weigh station. it is our home.

wendell berry, the midwestern luddite, agrarian philosopher wrote about how the hardest stance a person can take in life is to live in only one place. all the sh!t you create, all the relationships you fook up are with you your whole life staring back at you.

so yeah whatever, people come and go. most think they are moving toward something when they leave, rather than running away from themselves
They sold the California Dream hard for a long time and it worked.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Being from Hawaii and having lived in LA for college for 4 years, I'll give my perspective on why this won't work out for CA people:

- Island Fever. It's real if you aren't from here.
- Buying a home sight unseen is PSYCHO.
- Time zones. 3 hours behind PST and 6 behind EST. Sounds minor, but over time it's irritating trying to do business with remote offices 3/6 hours ahead.
- No materialism here. The richest people I know drive CRV's/Camrys. Nobody gives a sh!t about a Range Rover. You will be ostracized by locals in your lululemon,$80 tshirts, apple watches, patagonia bubble jackets.
- No value in RE. Everything is overpriced and 50 years old and salt water is eating everything.
- No Mexican food. No burritos and no taquerias. For real. You cannot get a decent burrito anywhere. It's a fcking problem.
- It's pretty boring out here if you don't surf, fish, hike, swim, beach, etc. I guess you could golf but it's so damn hot.
- You will get passive aggressively checked here. LIke Jamesgang said. Mokes will park a lifted tacoma 2" from your driveway to see if you say something. If you do, you're out. If you don't, cool. If you bring a cold pack and a chair, you're family.
- Locals will stare at you all the time, you will have no anonymity.
- Your kids, who will not be local (skin color doesn't matter, we all know) will get checked HARD at school. They will come home crying. I think it actually builds character, my nieces (who are local but look white) used to get checked and hated it. Then they started standing up for themselves and getting in kids faces. Now they have tons of friends.
This is the truth. We bought a house in Maui a few years ago and use it from time to time and plan on moving full time when we retire. A neighbor had a landscape and pool company. We used him to keep the landscape up mow the lawns whatever. told him he could use the carport and driveway when we are away, his kids had cars and there isn't much street parking. Win win, they keep an eye on it and it always looks like someone is home. When COVID hit we decided as long as school is remote and everything is closed we should just go, deal with a 14 day quarantine and ride it out there. Flights delayed we don't get in till after 10PM and now must stick quarantine and too late for food and supply delivery. I'm in the driveway unloading the car and a guy walks by with his dog and says hello realizes the situation and next thing I know his family is bringing over food and drinks and asks for a list so they can go to Foodland in the morning for us. I never met him but from the neighbor he knew about us and that was all it took. Now my family is bigger. The couple we bought the house from were older and sold it because the neighbors used to have bbq's that went late and there was tension from them complaining about it and the added cars. They were cool and disclosed it to us. You have to be neighborly. Everyone of our neighbors has been in our home for bbq, beers, whatever. If you think you're going to shop up and close the door behind you you're going to be dealing with cars in front of your driveway, dog sh!t in your front yard etc because just like you wanted it...you don't exist.
The three hour time difference for the kids distance school was a pain in the ass. It doesn't seem like a big deal but getting up at 430 for 5AM Zoom school sucks.
I wouldn't bring school age kids here to live full time. The local schools aren't that good and I don't know if it's the same when I lived here a long time ago but it was brutal for white kids.
Once you find your groove there's no better place on earth.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
I moved from Oahu because a better quality of life was somewhere else. What seems to rankle people is when transplants come with their attitude/vibe and try to make the new place like their old place, or claim loc status trying to close the door behind them.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
There's an exodus from california not just to hawaii but to CO WY ID MT TX AZ, all over the west. Seen numerous complaints on other forums I'm active on.
Does this mean I can finally move back to the Central Coast? Cause the dot.com thing drove me out.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Housing inventory around here is super low.
You mean when the wrong personality has a few too many and is looking for someone to slap around?
That like the joke about the old guy in Maine. Invites the new guy to a party. Old Mainer says, "hope you don't mind, but there's gonna be a lot of drink'n." Sure, sounds good says the new guy. "Annnnd there's probably gonna be some fight'n too." New guy figures he'll get into it a little bit, sure, sounds good. "Annnd there's gonna be some wild sex!" Whoa, this really gets the new guy's attention. New guy says "sounds like a hell of a party.... what should I bring." Old guy shrugs is shoulders and says, "Doesn't matter - just gonna be you and me!" :dancing:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
But the guy and his uncle that got slapped around in the story, they had it coming. That's not an area a haole needs to be hanging around in. Drive up the highway, get you some banana bread and move along. That is family area....homesteaders etc. Hawaiians that have felt the pain of the cost of living that generationally has gotten worse and their quality of life has gown down with it. It would be like moving in to an Indian Reservation and taking over someones generational home. They just met the tribal authorities.

You don't pay 350K for some beach adjacent property on Maui without some strings attached. In this case the string was a shovel.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's weird the people sold it knowing this would happen.

Either the realtor or the owner should have told them.

I get a weird feeling hearing those scary stories Hawian localism stories.

The couple of times I was briefly there I had great interactions.

Twice I was invited over for lunch by people I just met.

But I am a lot fun so . . .

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
It's weird the people sold it knowing this would happen.

Either the realtor or the owner should have told them.

I get a weird feeling hearing those scary stories Hawian localism stories.

The couple of times I was briefly there I had great interactions.

Twice I was invited over for lunch by people I just met.

But I am a lot fun so . . .
I don't know about Hawaii law, but in California you aren't allowed to say anything about race. That's redlining. But on the disclosures, the previous owner had an obligation to disclose that a murder was about to happen on the property.

By the by, when a south Pacific islander you just met, invites u over for lunch, check that you aren't on the menu

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I heard certain Caribbean islands actually have laws preventing outsiders from coming in and driving up prices for the natives. Imagine that: laws that benefit the locals.

Every ethnic Hawai'ian I've met or worked with or for was in California trying to find a better life. It bums me out. Why doesn't the Hawai'ian government care about them?

I have been drinking.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
But the guy and his uncle that got slapped around in the story, they had it coming. That's not an area a haole needs to be hanging around in. Drive up the highway, get you some banana bread and move along. That is family area....homesteaders etc. Hawaiians that have felt the pain of the cost of living that generationally has gotten worse and their quality of life has gown down with it. It would be like moving in to an Indian Reservation and taking over someones generational home. They just met the tribal authorities.

You don't pay 350K for some beach adjacent property on Maui without some strings attached. In this case the string was a shovel.
This.

The dude is a moron.

Like someone else said the same thing would have happened in Wyoming, Montana, West Virginia, etc. You don’t just move in somewhere.

This is similar to the dude here who owns DIVE OAHU who underbid the Waikiki beach boys contract. Which is tied to the Rutledge Family and unity house (read: it was a mob cash skim op).

He gets the contact. Acts like a moron on social media and then his house mysteriously burns down one day.

Im not saying his house deserved to get torch but what did he think would happen getting involved with the mob??

Reactions: VonMeister