Hawaii- Done

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire. This will be an enormous character-building experience for people from the Land of the Fruits, Nuts and Flakes who think they're smarter, better and more progressive than everyone else. Do not fail to educate them.
I hope I"m not making it sound scary, it's not meant to be. People here just want to test you. If you're cool, then we're all cool!

I mean these new comers can stay in their bubble and not interact and be fine, but we're the most isolated land mass on the planet so you're forced to interact with everybody.

Reactions: keenfish

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Apparently all kine people from
SF, San Jose, silicone valley area, when Covid hit, started bailing the city life and buying up prop elsewhere, just like you in hawaii are experiencing. Lake Tahoe, complete cluster, all cash offer 10 day escrows, sight unseen, 10-30% over asking. Market has gone nuts up there! Good luck to you in HI as those people can afford it and it will not help you afford to live there either. Sucks ballzzz!

Reactions: santacruzin

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Apparently all kine people from
SF, San Jose, silicone valley area, when Covid hit, started bailing the city life and buying up prop elsewhere, just like you in hawaii are experiencing. Lake Tahoe, complete cluster, all cash offer 10 day escrows, sight unseen, 10-30% over asking. Market has gone nuts up there! Good luck to you in HI as those people can afford it and it will not help you afford to live there either. Sucks ballzzz!
The market in Tahoe went nuts during the first dot.com bubble. The whole place changed. The funky little market in North Lake Tahoe started stocking Dom and live lobster. My dad had a house with a view of the lake he bought for 250. Sold it for 2 million+. It was kind of sad. The whole place changed. The people that had grown up there got squeezed. Their kids couldn't afford to stay there. The days of working a few side jobs, waiting tables, ski lessons and living the life up there vanished. The tourist thing in the summer got nuts. You couldn't go anywhere around the lake for the traffic. That is one place I could have left the ocean for. The wife and I talked about doing it before we had kids. Sometimes I wonder...

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I hope I"m not making it sound scary, it's not meant to be. People here just want to test you. If you're cool, then we're all cool!

I mean these new comers can stay in their bubble and not interact and be fine, but we're the most isolated land mass on the planet so you're forced to interact with everybody.
These people are not cool. They're some of the most sanctimonious and crazy on the planet. Likely they're going to fail whatever tests you give them.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Yep already seeing it here on Maui. I trannied 10 years ago to HI. So I'm just as guilty, but with island travel including 2 week quarantine for months now what I've seen are more dealer/paper plates and new faces in my small little towns on the north shore.
its been 10 years already!!!???...wow..

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY

hope they're doing their due diligence

why the hell would you move to kahakuloa uninvited!?..friken dumbass....I !!!....WOULDN'T MOVE to kahakuloa uninvited...and im a big ugly brown guy already...and i have family on maui...what the hell makes him think he can just go live somewhere just because he has money... like oxnard ...just cause you buy a house there don't make you local...i thought all that area was reservation land anyway isnt it?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
You'll laughin like it's a joke. I'm asking if you hidin the fine trannies (don't call em that, it makes their dlcks soft)
Have enough to drink and they'll look fine. I'd recommend Scarlet near downtown, good music too ;). There's plenty of post-op lady boys if thats what you're into, almost got fooled one night :foreheadslap:

• Haha
Reactions: stringcheese

PeederNorteRips

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2008
In Your Face
Visit site
Same thing happening where I am. Real estate prices in my town went up 30% this summer. The people who own vacation/second homes here showed up in droves back in March and they are not leaving. Houses that used to be affordable rentals in the off season are now unavailable due to the 'summer' people staying put. The few rentals I see listed have skyrocketed on rent. For example, an off season 4 BR rental used to be easy to find in the range of 1200-2000/mo. Same house now is 4400/mo.
They came by the thousands. The city folk didn't understand they were taxing our infrastructure and got some backlash. The hospital here has about two dozen beds and only three ventilators. Staffing in the off season is reduced by 2/3rds. Lots of bitter comments on social media from the millionaires who saw it as a "us vs. them" thing. They didn't understand that clearing the shelves in grocery stores so they could hide out caused major issues across the board. We had major shortages in necessities for over a month as the supply chain was not geared to accomodate a huge bump in the population.

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
why the hell would you move to kahakuloa uninvited!?..friken dumbass....I !!!....WOULDN'T MOVE to kahakuloa uninvited...and im a big ugly brown guy already...and i have family on maui...what the hell makes him think he can just go live somewhere just because he has money... like oxnard ...just cause you buy a house there don't make you local...i thought all that area was reservation land anyway isnt it?
I wonder why RE agents don't give a heads up on things like this? At least steer them to a more haole friendly part of the island. I suppose it could be an uncomfortable conversation but it sounds as if it might have helped in this case. It'd be interesting to know if the majority of Hawaii RE agents are locals or trannies. That TV show "Hawaii Life" may have influenced some of these recent purchase sprees.

My company usually has to have the "do know how expensive it is to live here" conversation with candidates that apply to open positions. A lot of people don't research what it's like to live in SF.

Dec 18, 2014
Being from Hawaii and having lived in LA for college for 4 years, I'll give my perspective on why this won't work out for CA people:

- Island Fever. It's real if you aren't from here.
- Buying a home sight unseen is PSYCHO.
- Time zones. 3 hours behind PST and 6 behind EST. Sounds minor, but over time it's irritating trying to do business with remote offices 3/6 hours ahead.
- No materialism here. The richest people I know drive CRV's/Camrys. Nobody gives a sh!t about a Range Rover. You will be ostracized by locals in your lululemon,$80 tshirts, apple watches, patagonia bubble jackets.
- No value in RE. Everything is overpriced and 50 years old and salt water is eating everything.
- No Mexican food. No burritos and no taquerias. For real. You cannot get a decent burrito anywhere. It's a fcking problem.
- It's pretty boring out here if you don't surf, fish, hike, swim, beach, etc. I guess you could golf but it's so damn hot.
- You will get passive aggressively checked here. LIke Jamesgang said. Mokes will park a lifted tacoma 2" from your driveway to see if you say something. If you do, you're out. If you don't, cool. If you bring a cold pack and a chair, you're family.
- Locals will stare at you all the time, you will have no anonymity.
- Your kids, who will not be local (skin color doesn't matter, we all know) will get checked HARD at school. They will come home crying. I think it actually builds character, my nieces (who are local but look white) used to get checked and hated it. Then they started standing up for themselves and getting in kids faces. Now they have tons of friends.
Plenty of materialism. Look at the completely unnecessary vehicles that people drive just to make a status statement - the boys with their four wheel drive trucks that rarely, if ever, go off road, tons of SUVs, plenty Teslas; all on an island that's just 44 x 30 miles. And people aren't making that ridiculous drive up to their homes on Hawaii Loa Ridge because they think it's convenient...

If people stare at me, I make sure to say hi. Puts an end to it 99% of the time, anywhere I've ever been.

• Haha
Reactions: racer1 and CJSB

CJSB

Nep status
Apr 8, 2009
Santa Barbara
Lol, have you been to Oxnard recently? Everyone is local.

Dec 18, 2014
Race gets 'discussed' in a very direct way in HI that never happens on the mainland. Too small a place to completely get away from 'other'. People have to deal with each other and a result they talk about, and to each, other in ways that would be considered super un-PC on the mainland. IMO, it seems to work a lot better.