Hawaii- Done

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I like to picture ancient Hawaiians sitting on rocks, under a tree on the beach, going "eh, remember last year when Keoki got bit by a shark on the leg and we had to pull him to shore under all those Nawiliwili blossums? And den da year before that Kanani was surfing with a nawiliwili flower in her hair and that tiger shark chomped her board? That was weird yea? If only we knew how to avoid the sharks biting us."
I know two EB locals who got bit in the 70's-80's
one got most of his tricep removed and the other a big chunk of his calf
the first was the original bethany one hand paddler before bethany was even born.
used to be sad to see him struggle to get into waves maybe caught 1 out 5 he paddled for but everyone used to cheer him on. The other became a booger since he really couldn't stand and too poor back then for a prosthesis.

There were also two others they never found

Funny as a kid we were never afraid of hammerheads as we were of the pointed nose men in the grey suit. You be sitting out in the wind blown murky waters of the lineup and feel some sandpaper skin rub up against your leg while you thought "oh sht, too late to do anything now" so you just sat still until you could slowly prone out and get your legs out of the water to paddle closer to your friends cause the more the merrier(like that old bear joke).

We were more afraid of the monster manta rays bigger than our 14" aluminum crabbing skiff that jumped and flew a foot out of the water to remind you who was king while they crushed your white crab nets into little balls.

we used to see giant sharks getting beached on the outer reefs way the hell outside during low tide thrashing about trying to get back into deeper water. Using your thumb fore finger measuring technique they would look as big as our beach house 100 yards on shore. Everyone would be on shore in minutes after that.

Thanks god for our outer reefs great indicators and protectors from the beeg ones.

also Tiger birthing goes through November too. So October-November can be sketchy but has been October turning out to be a hot swell time of year for our area these days. Sometime October can be more consistent than summer. Could be the hawaiian gods way of creating more food/bait for the tigers.

Here's one of the stories told:

“Ah! What delicious-looking crabs you have here!”

So said the visitor to Ke Awa Lau o Puʻuloa – but he wasn’t speaking of crustaceans, he was speaking of the fishermen he saw as “fat crabs”, that is, a dainty morsel.

He was Mikololou, a man-eating shark from the Kaʻū district on the Island of Hawaiʻi.
He was part of a large company of sharks who came to visit from Hawaiʻi, Maui and Molokaʻi. Most of these had human relatives and were not desirous of eating human flesh, but among them were some who disregarded the relationship, and learned to like them. The sharks had planned to make a circuit of the islands and perhaps later to visit Kahiki. They stopped at Puʻuloa (Pearl Harbor.)

Kaʻahupahau, hearing those words, knew at once that some of the strangers were man-eaters. Guardians of the area, she and her brother Kahiʻuka went into action to protect the fishermen.But Kaʻahupahau could not distinguish between the good and the bad sharks; she then she changed into the form of a great net and hemmed in her visitors while the fishermen who answered her signal came to destroy them.

Her brother Kahiʻuka struck at intruders with his tail, one side of which was larger than the other; the fishermen hauled in the nets to shore and Mikololou was cast upon the shore with the evil doers, where they were left to die of the intense heat.
All but Mikololou were soon dead; though his body died his head lived on and as the fishermen passed to and from their work, his eyes followed them and tears rolled down his face. At last his tongue fell out. Some children playing nearby found it. They picked it up and cast it into the sea.

Now Mikololou’s spirit had passed out of his head into his tongue and as soon as he felt the water again he became a whole shark. With a triumphant flop of his tail, he headed for home to join his friends again. When Kaʻahupahau saw him, it was too late to prevent his departure.

“Mikololou lived through his tongue,” or, as the Hawaiians say, “I ola o Mikololou i ka alelo.” This saying implies that however much trouble one may have, there is always a way of escape.

Kaʻahupahau lived in an underwater cave in Honouliuli lagoon (West Loch.) Kahiʻuka lived in an underwater cave off Mokuʻumeʻume (Ford Island) near Keanapuaʻa Point at the entrance of East Loch

Kaʻahupahau may mean “Well-cared for Feather Cloak” (the feather cloak was a symbol of royalty).
Kahiʻuka means “Smiting Tail”; his shark tail was used to strike at enemy sharks; he also used his tail to strike fishermen as a warning that unfriendly sharks had entered Puʻuloa.

Such guardian sharks, which inhabited the coastlines of all the islands, were benevolent gods who were cared for and worshiped by the people and who aided fishermen, protected the life of the seas, and drove off man-eating sharks.

Pukui notes Kaʻahupahau in ʻŌlelo Noʻeau: Hawaiian Proverbs and Poetical Sayings, No. 105: “Alahula o Puʻuloa, he alahele na Kaʻahupahau”: “Everywhere in Puʻuloa is the trail of Kaʻahupahau.” “Said of a person who goes everywhere, looking, peering, seeing all, or of a person familiar with every nook and corner of a place.” Kaʻahupahau was noted for traveling about, vigilantly guarding her domain against man-eating invaders.

Puʻuloa also was home to Komoawa, (or Kamoawa,) a large shark who was Kaʻahupahau’s watcher. His cave, called Keaaliʻi, was at the entrance of Puʻuloa. (Thrum, Hawaii-edu) Kualiʻi guards the entrance to Pearl Harbor, while the home of Kaʻahupahau is deeper into Honouliuli lagoon.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah Sept / Oct has been really good to us (DHead) this year and last few years. Seems like an extension of Summer with less wind. My scientist friend said that if climate change is true, then it would first show signs by eliminating shoulder seasons and making Summer and Winter longer (and more intense).

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Lots of shark sightings on the east side reefs these days -- and a few very very close encounters, two which went unreported but resulted in stitches (Kaaawa zone).

I have noticed that in the last 5 years, there is persistent NE trade wind swell all summer, way more than I ever remember, the kind that leads to serious beach erosion in the Kammies/Pupukea/Ehukai area. Just that lap lap lap away all the sand under those houses, which are now all for sale (?!?!) Not sure about Laniakea/Papailoa, I never go that far because of turtle traffic.

Aside from a couple of steep norths and one northwest, slow winter so far, without much on the horizon.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Quick trip for a few business meetings in town morphed into long weekend. Have not stayed at Royal Hawaiian for ~30yrs. Still paradise, warm, and welcoming. Surfed canoes with my bride, good food, atmosphere etc. Heading to NS and will hopefully sneak a session or three before returning to the mainland. It may have changed but with the right attitude most certainly not “done.”View attachment 141377
I've always had low exceptions of Hawaii and really liked it.

The Hawiians I met were super nice to me.

That's not a normal thing for me.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Aside from a couple of steep norths and one northwest, slow winter so far, without much on the horizon.

1 to 3 feet for the last couple of weeks .... nice warm dayz ... small kine rain showers in the evening.
surf employees @work are complaining, no moa surf ...... :roflmao:
one wahine at work got mow'd by a visitor on a SUP
Said she come up spitting fire n' water ... and sent the guy to the beach
She had a big ole dark bruise on her thigh ...

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
as if the crabs and the odd tiger shark aren’t enough...

“LFA (Little Fire Ants) can produce painful stings and large red welts and may cause blindness in pets,” the statement warned. “They can build up very large colonies on the ground, in trees and other vegetation, and inside buildings and homes and completely overrun a property.”

“The ants, native to South America, are considered among the world’s worst invasive species. They are tiny — only one-sixteenth-inch long — and pale orange and light brown in color.“

o_O

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Finally some NW swell on the horizon but with sh!t winds. This winter has really been off to a slow start.
We're putting the new jet ski together this evening and were supposed to tow Sunday but it's looking more like kite weather. The West Side of Maui should be wind protected and surfable on this swell, but not what I'd call big.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
leave it to Paul to put things into an understandable perspective
I miss working with this guy
why we let him go I'll never know
I guess it was the trend not to have an aboard economist

Paul Brewbaker on the local economy
His analysis of the housing market sounds like it would fit well into the coastal SoCal market as well. I disagree with his downplaying of the impact of vacation rentals, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Just my observation from the past 50-60 years
the cali/nyc-fornication disease wiped out oregon(portland), washington(seattle), hawaii and soon texas and where ever the else they mass migrate to.

We would have better off with an influx and saturation of farmers and builders from the middle of america who understand the value of living off the land than the coastal elite transplants who thrive off the world of mercantilism and materialism. They tend to suck the resources of a place dry and then move on to their next victim.

Most of the of the small elite class were the same but the vast, vast majority of the population here were directly tied into the resources they required to survive

Reactions: PJ and SirKooksALot

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Just my observation from the past 50-60 years
the cali/nyc-fornication disease wiped out oregon(portland), washington(seattle), hawaii and soon texas and where ever the else they mass migrate to.

We would have better off with an influx and saturation of farmers and builders from the middle of america who understand the value of living off the land than the coastal elite transplants who thrive off the world of mercantilism and materialism. They tend to suck the resources of a place dry and then move on to their next victim.

Most of the of the small elite class were the same but the vast, vast majority of the population here were directly tied into the resources they required to survive
Zihuatanejo when my mother in law was a young adult.
4D305134-39E7-4A93-A9F0-68D04E3A2F73.jpeg
When my wife was born
3AF30037-CEDE-421F-9E55-2070F0D9EEB7.jpeg
Today
EBDDAC9F-9B52-48FD-87CA-8DD9B0B6B3CD.jpeg
From 100% Ag to 90% tourist related in 50 years. Sound familiar?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
We would have better off with an influx and saturation of farmers and builders from the middle of america who understand the value of living off the land than the coastal elite transplants who thrive off the world of mercantilism and materialism.
Not sure I get your point. Sugar/pineapple was the main industry of Hawaii long before tourism, and though I guess the Big Five were not from middle America I don't see how that matters. They squeezed and squeezed the working class for all they were worth and profited handsomely, until others figured out a way to squeeze even more and the industry moved elsewhere.