Hawaii- Done

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
My neighbor spear fishes often. Said he had one monk seal get very aggressive, coming right at him. No physical attack though. Still sounded pretty nuts.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Yeah, my experience is with sea lions, and have had them bump my board a few times and bite/tug on leash. Am wondering if monk seals are like this.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I've lived in Seattle/Washington for almost two decades 70's-80's and got out just before the mass migration and change from Weyerhaeuser and Boeing to Microsoft and Amazon. The same for downtown Portland (90's). Was in portland when they had the old Mother Gert signs telling californians to stay out of Oregon in particular, Wells Fargo. Now both places are totally shot. They used to be bastions of conservative working class families, not anymore. Just out of control shtholes for the homeless and elites who try and avoid them.

Same thing has been taking over in LA, San Diego and Waikiki.

Almost everything the masses here need to survive needs to be shipped or flown in including the tourists and the fuel that powers the so called clean power people think they are using with their electric cars and mobile brains. Electricity and our dependency on it is modern society's drug of choice. Ever sit in an airport terminal and look at people running around for an outlet like an addict looking for a fix? Or people fighting for a parking space with a charger for their hybrid?

The plantations were the start of the mercantilism of this place but at least they generated their own power and took care of their workers with housing and the ability to advance. Most of those ethnic populations are pretty much running the place these days but the almighty need for wealth and prosperity at the sacrifice of everyone else except those in your immediately bubble is escalating the destruction of what ever land and water resources we have left.

All to the point where it will become unlivable and people will have to mass migrate like they have been doing for decades for economic not environmental reasons. People talk a good story, but every year this place gets worse and worse to either maintain or plant your family roots here for the next thousand years. We've lost the ability for the long view here and as such it will only get worse until there's no other choice but to leave to exist. Glad I don't have that much to witness before I go. But until then I will always hope for the best and do what I can to try and swim up current against this tidal wave of change.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I've lived in Seattle/Washington for almost two decades 70's-80's and got out just before the mass migration and change from Weyerhaeuser and Boeing to Microsoft and Amazon. The same for downtown Portland (90's). Was in portland when they had the old Mother Gert signs telling californians to stay out of Oregon in particular, Wells Fargo. Now both places are totally shot. They used to be bastions of conservative working class families, not anymore. Just out of control shtholes for the homeless and elites who try and avoid them.

Almost everything the masses here need to survive needs to be shipped or flown in including the tourists and the fuel that powers the so called clean power people think they are using with their electric cars and mobile brains. Electricity and our dependency on it is modern society's drug of choice. Ever sit in an airport terminal and look at people running around for an outlet like an addict looking for a fix? Or people fighting for a parking space with a charger for their hybrid?

The plantations were the start of the mercantilism of this place but at least they generated their own power and took care of their workers with housing and the ability to advance. Most of those ethnic populations are pretty much running the place these days but the almighty need for wealth and prosperity at the sacrifice of everyone else except those in your immediately bubble is escalating the destruction of what ever land and water resources we have left.

All to the point where it will become unlivable and people will have to mass migrate like they have been doing for decades for economic not environmental reasons. People talk a good story, but every year this place gets worse and worse to either maintain or plant your family roots here for the next thousand years. We've lost the ability for the long view here and as such it will only get worse until there's no other choice but to leave to exist. Glad I don't have that much to witness before I go. But until then I will always hope for the best and do what I can to try and swim up current against this tidal wave of change.
Don't worry Oneula, in 50 years there will be old farts will be talking story about how great everything was back in the 2020's. Such is life, eh?

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com

Same thing has happened to santa cruz. Bummer.

Reactions: PPK96754

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The slow degradation of over tourism and real estate investment that happens to anywhere nice is a sad fact of 21st century life. I don't think it can be stopped, maybe just slowed down at best. But the natural and sometimes human beauty that makes places nice remains, you just have to seek it wisely.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
The plantations were the start of the mercantilism of this place but at least they generated their own power and took care of their workers with housing and the ability to advance.
Wow, that's a rather rosy look at history. The environmental impact of deforestation and waste products alone must have devastated local ecosystems. Ecosystems that will never return.

The Big Five took control of the Hawaiian economy including banking, warehousing, shipping, and importing. This control of commodity distribution kept Hawaiians burdened under high prices and toiling under a diminished quality of life. These businessmen had perfected the double-edged sword of a wage-earning labor force dependent upon plantation goods and services. They also worked hard to maintain a hierarchical caste system that prevented worker organization and divided the camps based on ethnic identity.

Indentured servitude is only a small step above slavery.

And why shouldn't the Big Five have taken advantage of these people, nothing was preventing them from doing so. Contrary to popular conservative belief, big business does NOT conduct itself responsibly.

And all this not to mention the devastating impact that refined sugar has on human health.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Contrary to popular conservative belief, big business does NOT conduct itself responsibly.
At the time, Hawaii was a collection of very distant islands that produced nothing of value like gold or oil, yet were strategic due to their location, the only island group in the vast, empty expanse of the North Pacific Ocean.

If businessmen were going to risk their capital in a remote place on agricultural endeavours with no guarantee of profit, they were going to do so under a system which would give them the best chance at making a profit.

Hence the plantation system, that was based on southern USA plantations and would have used slaves if slavery was legal - it wasn't, so they used the next best alternative; contract indentured labor.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
if you can't see the "indentured labor" status of the vast workforce currently supporting the tourism machine, then that's the problem. They are are just one level above what might be termed slavery, no different than those who worked for the plantations exception there's no food or housing provided. Farms, restaurants, construction, and hotels here import like all the other resources others when needed from mexico, south america, indonesia, micronesia, korea and now china sometimes as actual slave labor (withholding papers) when they can't get actual locals to fill the positions.

How many neighborhood giant home construction sites here have you been too where the workers can only speak chinese and chain smoke? All the local bruddahs are working on the rail where the golden goose laid her egg. And the unions have been no real help except to the union officials. That's why government and DOD work here is so big. They at least pay a living wage with COLA.

It all doesn't matter anyway I only have another 10-20 years before I'll check out of here for good. Those that live on as with everything will reap what they sow.
In the end, the only people left to blame for anything with be yourself.

live pono
die pono
that's all one can do

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Hawaii sounds to me, never having had the pleasure to visit before, to be suffering from a very similar ill that asails the Canary Islands at present. Both they're political and ruling class are akin to a five star restaurant that allows patrons in who wouldn't be let into a truck stop hoe house bar in Barstow.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Last edited: