Hawaii- Done

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Can’t remember the last time I bought poke (vegetarian) but my mom wanted a half pound when I was going to drop off my son with her… when did poke start costing $18-20 a pound?!

Reactions: Kaido

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
It is.

I moved to San Diego 3 months ago. Housing prices are kind of similar but groceries and everything else are much cheaper by at least 50%.

Everything is crazy expensive in Hawaii.
Ah bummer, you get stationed there?

I'm probably gonna have to move there for a girl end of the season, @racer1 can confirm it's worth it. :cautious:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Ah bummer, you get stationed there?

I'm probably gonna have to move there for a girl end of the season, @racer1 can confirm it's worth it. :cautious:
Yes.

I could have figured out a way to stay in Hawaii but my wife was born and raised in SOCAL and had enough of Hawaii. SD is ok. Surf isn't great and it is freezing cold in the winter time. I lose my motivation to dawn patrol when it is 40 degree air temp and 2 ft.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My brother in law is from Long Beach CA and has been living in Hawaii for nearly 20 years. He’s a concrete mason and works with a few Filipino guys. He never heard Frank Delima’s Filipino Christmas before and I played it for him last year. He had tears in his eyes laughing so hard. He blasts it all the time now.

Last edited:

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Can’t remember the last time I bought poke (vegetarian) but my mom wanted a half pound when I was going to drop off my son with her… when did poke start costing $18-20 a pound?!
I bought a pound of poke at Kahuku Superette just now (only place with power). $21.99. I bought a bottle of tequila too, just so I could forget about it.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Vegetarian poke? Assuming there’s a point at all to that, it’s made with tofu?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Wow, that's a rather rosy look at history. The environmental impact of deforestation and waste products alone must have devastated local ecosystems. Ecosystems that will never return.

The Big Five took control of the Hawaiian economy including banking, warehousing, shipping, and importing. This control of commodity distribution kept Hawaiians burdened under high prices and toiling under a diminished quality of life. These businessmen had perfected the double-edged sword of a wage-earning labor force dependent upon plantation goods and services. They also worked hard to maintain a hierarchical caste system that prevented worker organization and divided the camps based on ethnic identity.

Indentured servitude is only a small step above slavery.

And why shouldn't the Big Five have taken advantage of these people, nothing was preventing them from doing so. Contrary to popular conservative belief, big business does NOT conduct itself responsibly.

And all this not to mention the devastating impact that refined sugar has on human health.
Sugar: an avenging angel of the enslaved?

Unfortunately, Sugar is an equal opportunity killer, and doesn't distinguish between the descendants of the slave owners and the descendants of the slaves

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Sugar: an avenging angel of the enslaved?

Unfortunately, Sugar is an equal opportunity killer, and doesn't distinguish between the descendants of the slave owners and the descendants of the slaves
Not quite true, unfortunately.

Race/ethnicity, family income and educational status are independently associated with intake of added sugars. Groups with low income and education are particularly vulnerable to diets with high added sugars.