Gliders....

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I pretty much got talked into a Mitsven miniglider when they come in next month at Birds Shed. I was asking about the difference between a Magic and Glider outlines at around 8', and was told the Magic is basically the all-around board for SoCal, and the Glider is much faster in the small stuff I want it for. They did say mini glider works really well for its size and is a much easier transition for guys who don't usually surf longer boards (me) and obviously turns easier than the big 11-footers. Sold. sigh...

Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
and a review please.

I may be a bit biased but I feel like water temp plays a role in this. I'm having a blast on my glider in small summer surf but doubt I'll surf it much over the winter. I think it's the overall experience of warm water, sun, and gliding across faces. We'll see how this translates to winter in about 6 months.

Reactions: MathDebater

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Same. I doubt small waves would be as easy to motivate for when it's cold and dreary and you have to wear a lot of rubber.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
and a review please.

I may be a bit biased but I feel like water temp plays a role in this. I'm having a blast on my glider in small summer surf but doubt I'll surf it much over the winter. I think it's the overall experience of warm water, sun, and gliding across faces. We'll see how this translates to winter in about 6 months.
I like mine in winter just as much. Makes all those borderline days a guaranteed good time.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
lol. Uhhhhhmmm. I think I'm afraid. Yikes.

Side note, guys are riding real small fins in these things on single fin versions. 7"- 7.5" ?

• Wow
Reactions: oeste858
Jun 5, 2020
There is a pic of mine a few pages back. It's a 12'er and I hang out for days to ride it. It was clean 1-2' yesterday and I was easily stroking into waves 20 feet further out than the guys on normal longboards, however I was trying hard to NOT be "that guy" that gets all the sets. Basically, my advice is for anyone that is into gliders is to go as looooong as you can.
I also have a 10'6 Twin Fin glider that is great, and have been riding them for a few years now.
BTW, I shape and glass my own.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
love the idea of a twin glider. How does the ride compare to the other (single fin?)?
Wish I had space to store a long one. Same issue with a prone paddleboard. Otherwise, I'd probably have both already

Jun 5, 2020
love the idea of a twin glider. How does the ride compare to the other (single fin?)?
Wish I had space to store a long one. Same issue with a prone paddleboard. Otherwise, I'd probably have both already
It rides great, but at that length don't expect it to pivot like a mid length fish. Mine is similar to the Deepest Reaches style fish gliders. Great high line speed, and it gets in super early. Either won't disappoint.

Reactions: oeste858