Gliders....

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Where's the pic?!
I started to try, but I was alone, It's a round pin, there was a breeze and leaning it up against the building... it looked like a disaster waiting to happen. I'll get it. I just need someone to either take the picture or put a hand on the board. Trying to photograph a board that long on the ground skews the outline. Does the board no favors.

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
I started to try, but I was alone, It's a round pin, there was a breeze and leaning it up against the building... it looked like a disaster waiting to happen. I'll get it. I just need someone to either take the picture or put a hand on the board. Trying to photograph a board that long on the ground skews the outline. Does the board no favors.
My Spence hull is one of my favorite boards. afoaf's stringerless Spence hull was even better. Imagine a glider from him would be all time.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Glider
glid·er
/ˈɡlīdər/

Noun.

Board made for those who've found that a regular longboard isn't enough of a crutch or doesn't provide enough of a paddling advantage over the rest of the lineup.

Used in a sentence: Today Joe used his glider to back paddle everyone all afternoon.

what if there is no lineup and you are the only surfer? what then? what if it"s just fun?

you golf right? do you only use one club and call a putter a crutch?

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Gliders are so awesome, but they are really made for surf-along-the-way paddle missions. Haggerty's to Lunada, Westward to Paradise Cove, Zeros to Broad Beach, County Line to Zeros, that kind of stuff. I can see why Skip Frye was in such heaven surfing all those reefs in SD on one, you could cover some ground. But I think the key is to keep moving.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Gliders are so awesome, but they are really made for surf-along-the-way paddle missions. Haggerty's to Lunada, Westward to Paradise Cove, Zeros to Broad Beach, County Line to Zeros, that kind of stuff. I can see why Skip Frye was in such heaven surfing all those reefs in SD on one, you could cover some ground. But I think the key is to keep moving.
Cross country surfing. Wish we had the spots to do that sort of thing where I am at. I love that scene in the Seedling where Skip is talking about getting stoked on riding big boards and about Tom Blake surfing with the Duke at Waikiki back in the day.

Reactions: Havoc and jamesgang

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
so to answer the question of are gliders only fun on warm days: no. They are a blast in 30 degree air also.

Certainly a different experience but with a new daughter I haven't got to surf very much over the past few months so when the opportunity came yesterday for some glassy small high tide surf I jumped at it.

Caught a number of barely breaking waves and for the few that did stand up I got some fun racy sections. A few extra mm of wetsuit combined with not surfing in months and I was not so nimble but got a ton of fun waves and some of my agility back so all in all a great day.

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Ha ha definitely cold the last few days
Who shaped yours?
Jim

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
got mine at real by Christenson. Would have ordered locally from WRV but time constraints had me choose OTR. Rode it again today, still super fun, a littler harder to ride in the peaky stuff but I was able to get in the water.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
got mine at real by Christenson. Would have ordered locally from WRV but time constraints had me choose OTR. Rode it again today, still super fun, a littler harder to ride in the peaky stuff but I was able to get in the water.
what length board?