Gliders....

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
So I rode the 11’. Ahahahahahaha!! Oink oink. That was a lot of waves in three hours. I can turn the thing. I can even get a cutback out of it if I remember to walk backwards far enough. The scale of this was a little disconcerting at first. But it even nose rides.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
So I rode the 11’. Ahahahahahaha!! Oink oink. That was a lot of waves in three hours. I can turn the thing. I can even get a cutback out of it if I remember to walk backwards far enough. The scale of this was a little disconcerting at first. But it even nose rides.
You ride that up at the point?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
So I woke up this morning and I'm actually a little sore. :ROFLMAO: Lower body as well. Presumably all that distance covered and swinging all that board around is the culprit. It's a good sore though. A sore I would have thought unachievable in 3' mush. I will say that from now on, I will NOT be carrying that beast down the beach to where I am paddling out. Launch it in front of the truck and paddle to where I want to surf.

Is the lift at Gaviota operational?

Cojo is calling... ;)

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Is it possible to rip on a 14’ downwinder SUP??
I'm more worried about, does my ass look fat in these jeans?

What a bunch of chicks we are.

I shall be surfing a performance shortboard today. I anticipate my performance will begin at 7:30 am. Tickets are still available at the box office and I have a few back-stage passes that I will be giving away. Get there early for parking and remember to wear a mask and social distance. Thank you all. I couldn't do this without my many fans.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
So I surfed it again yesterday. In glassy little waves that really didn't amount to much. Covered huge distances. Almost always surfing or paddling. On waves that would have been worthless on a shortboard. I got one set wave that was kind of interesting. I had a pack of longboarders paddle the wrong way and I was midface and on the nose. In order to not kill anyone I had to walk back and then turn it over the back. I actually blew the 7.5 Greenough out and had the board going sideways in the lip for a spell before it grabbed and I got over the back. Interesting. Anyway, tons of exorcise in waves I would have driven away from with just a grovelor in the truck. I don't know what will happen when I go back to a shorter board, but I know my paddling fitness will be better than if I had just driven away.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
So I surfed it again yesterday. In glassy little waves that really didn't amount to much. Covered huge distances. Almost always surfing or paddling. On waves that would have been worthless on a shortboard. I got one set wave that was kind of interesting. I had a pack of longboarders paddle the wrong way and I was midface and on the nose. In order to not kill anyone I had to walk back and then turn it over the back. I actually blew the 7.5 Greenough out and had the board going sideways in the lip for a spell before it grabbed and I got over the back. Interesting. Anyway, tons of exorcise in waves I would have driven away from with just a grovelor in the truck. I don't know what will happen when I go back to a shorter board, but I know my paddling fitness will be better than if I had just driven away.
Exactly this. I get more toasted from 1ft days on my glider than 4 ft days on my shortboard.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I always figured it was a momentum thing and glide is from momentum.

a change of speed requires a change of momentum which is translated to your shoulders. short boards have less momentum thus less force back at the shoulders.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Exactly this. I get more toasted from 1ft days on my glider than 4 ft days on my shortboard.
Right? I was even slightly sore in my upper legs this morning. And I was gloriously toasted/surfed out after I was done surfing. What a pain to transport/carry/store though.

Reactions: MathDebater

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Right? I was even slightly sore in my upper legs this morning. And I was gloriously toasted/surfed out after I was done surfing. What a pain to transport/carry/store though.
haha. I hear you about the legs. Everything is more effort, but so damn fun. No one following you down the beach when you paddle to get there :waving:

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
What a pain to transport/carry/store though.
Joe put two leash plugs a few inches off the rail and about 6" apart at the boards midpoint on the deck, connected them with nylon string that's wrapped in thin rubber tube. It's genius. Makes carrying so much easier and it doesnt effect performance in the slightest.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
"So I surfed it again yesterday. In glassy little waves that really didn't amount to much. Covered huge distances. Almost always surfing or paddling. On waves that would have been worthless on a shortboard. I got one set wave that was kind of interesting. I had a pack of longboarders paddle the wrong way and I was midface and on the nose. In order to not kill anyone I had to walk back and then turn it over the back. I actually blew the 7.5 Greenough out and had the board going sideways in the lip for a spell before it grabbed and I got over the back. Interesting. Anyway, tons of exorcise in waves I would have driven away from with just a grovelor in the truck. I don't know what will happen when I go back to a shorter board, but I know my paddling fitness will be better than if I had just driven away."........

Are you saying that the right board for the right conditions can make surfing fun? holy freakin shite.

Yeah the transport is tough, I'm storing it in the garage no problem but the beach is a 1/3 of a mile walk with board in hand..... Looking for some sort of wheelie thing to make life easier.

Reactions: Oceanslide

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
u know, if u really wanna see glide, check the foil forum

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I don't get how those Mitsven Mini Gliders work. Isn't the whole point for it to be super long? If it's 7'2 isn't it just a mid length?

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858