Favorite flat or low arch traction pads?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I have the Hobgood Octopus pad on one board and really like it:

The CI Conner Coffin pad is my go to for most boards:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
sd_101 said:
Saw the octopus one. Is it weird 50/50 on the texture like that? Saw they also have a full one with just the flatter pattern, too.
It’s going on a small wave board so I won’t need heaps of rippage at my disposal.
It lets you know exactly where your foot is on the pad. Good for someone like me who moves their back foot around quite a bit.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
So that thread where Gromsdad was all butthurt about the Pepto Bismol ad was actually there because Gromsdad was trying to medicate his butthurt?

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
92122 said:
Waxfoot said:
Slater designs for sure.
x2

I third this. SD is a great pad. Really like the rigidity. Plus, I ride a lot of XTRs which have the pin holes in that area for out gasing. I've had the solid ones bubble a bit on hot tropical days left out.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
this is $25
http://www.surfboardsbystamps.com/merchandise/2-piece-flat-tail-grip-1

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I'm a big fan of Octopus, the corduroy, not hot on the mixed stuff
Saw these at the local surf shop and bought one with arch one without(what they had in stock)
https://www.surfstationstore.com/products/channel-islands-lined-up-arch-traction-pad?variant=14112445431869&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr4r-m4XU4gIVktdkCh0vJwJtEAQYAyABEgJqy_D_BwE

https://www.surfstationstore.com/products/channel-islands-lined-up-flat-traction-pad?variant=14112448675901&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6eb7-obU4gIVA9tkCh15oQsCEAkYCCABEgJ73vD_BwE

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
need 4 speed said:
https://www.surfstationstore.com/products/channel-islands-lined-up-flat-traction-pad?variant=14112448675901&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6eb7-obU4gIVA9tkCh15oQsCEAkYCCABEgJ73vD_BwE

I have one of these. Waiting for my XTR to arrive to put it on. It's still in packaging but looks thin, can't feel grip yet. Will report.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I like the corduroy a lot
less effort to adjust fore and aft but plenty of traction for lateral push
ymmv, I'm light on my feet

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
trevorbc said:
Wanna know what annoys me? My friend that surfs really well (did ok on the WQS for a bit) puts absolutely no thought into his traction pads. I've been at the shop with him and he grabs the first one in his line of sight. No checking if it even has a kick, no thought about the color, I'm looking at his choice like I wouldn't put that thing on my daughters board and yet it makes no difference he rips. Mean while I'm pondering my pad selection for an hour...fvck him!
I honestly never realized people care this much about pads.

I always just buy the first thing I find and slap it on. Last two pads have been the 18$ Amazon Punt Surf Pads. Work really well and I like them. Also bought an Ocean and Earth one on sale for $20.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
there are pads I absolutely hate, mostly due to arches.

550-800 for a board, I don't want to save 5-10 bucks and get a shitty pad.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
silentbutdeadly said:
there are pads I absolutely hate, mostly due to arches.

550-800 for a board, I don't want to save 5-10 bucks and get a shitty pad.
Agreed. I only realized how much better some pads were than others because of how they felt under foot. Could I still surf a "bad" pad? Sure. But if I'm investing in a custom why would I cheat myself out of that final detail?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Muscles said:
trevorbc said:
Wanna know what annoys me? My friend that surfs really well (did ok on the WQS for a bit) puts absolutely no thought into his traction pads. I've been at the shop with him and he grabs the first one in his line of sight. No checking if it even has a kick, no thought about the color, I'm looking at his choice like I wouldn't put that thing on my daughters board and yet it makes no difference he rips. Mean while I'm pondering my pad selection for an hour...fvck him!
I honestly never realized people care this much about pads.

I always just buy the first thing I find and slap it on. Last two pads have been the 18$ Amazon Punt Surf Pads. Work really well and I like them. Also bought an Ocean and Earth one on sale for $20.

When I find a pad I like I just stick with that pad until they discontinue it.

That said, if I have to look for another type of pad I pay attention, there's so much variation and you can get screwed

- some huge tail kicks out there that are too thick/not flexible enough to stick to your board if there's any dome in the tail.
- some pads don't fit tails that are smaller/pulled in
- my foot slips off Pro-lite style grip so I avoid that stuff
- hate arch bars

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
casa_mugrienta said:
- some huge tail kicks out there that are too thick/not flexible enough to stick to your board if there's any dome in the tail.

- hate arch bars
My Slater Designs pad is peeling away from the tail slightly at the rear kick point.

Also have no need for any arch in a pad ever.