Closing due to LABOR SHORTAGE?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Futurist nonsense

All businesses have a function, that's why they exist (unless artificially created or propped up by the government)

Tell me, where would this money to fund UBI come from?

It's a wonderful utopian ideal where people could just be free to hang out but it's just that, utopian

Not true. Things can happen in stages, including the development of society. Many businesses exist because of the desire of one, or a small group, to have the utopian life than you dismiss, but through the process of getting other people to do the work for them. I don't have the answers, I just think it is shortsighted (and more than a little eyebrow raising) to say "see, give these kids what they need to survive and they just go off and enjoy there lives, then there is no one left to clean up after me when I'm done eating the food someone else made for me! World collapsing!"

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Yes, a dystopian race to the bottom with very few haves and mostly have-nots

New feudalism
"Very few haves and mostly have nots" is the current state of the world, and has been all across the globe for most of the time of human society. It was a situation created, and since maintained, by religion. Something we may eventually be free from the grips of. The imbalance is worse now that it has ever been, and spare me the "what are you talking about, everyone gets a new iPhone every year" distracted point missing.

Reactions: tacos

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
A developing thought that I've been returning to is something like...

There is a romanticism of the small business/ old business in the US that promotes this idea that any time one fails, it's a travesty. But I rarely ever hear "Well, I guess that business plan really didn't work out". There are plenty of businesses that probably should not exist.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mom & Pop's. I loathe the acceleration of the corporate owned mega chains. But at the same time, there are A LOT of awful businesses (from product/service to treatment of employees) that get the nostalgia treatment. The word entitlement gets thrown around a lot by people who are fairly entitled, but your business is not entitled to make survival.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

There is a romanticism of the small business/ old business in the US that promotes this idea that any time one fails, it's a travesty. But I rarely ever hear "Well, I guess that business plan really didn't work out". There are plenty of businesses that probably should not exist.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mom & Pop's. I loathe the acceleration of the corporate owned mega chains. But at the same time, there are A LOT of awful businesses (from product/service to treatment of employees) that get the nostalgia treatment. The word entitlement gets thrown around a lot by people who are fairly entitled, but your business is not entitled to make survival.
I forget what the failure rate of small business is but it's really high.

I want to say most fail within 6 years.

The suppliers supplying the failing business are the ones who win.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I'm just thankful the trees the previous homeowners left behind were already chopped up. Have both fire pit and wood burning stove so segregated the good pieces (sawzall/hatchet project) but a couple of those tree trunks were dense as hell. Throw those on the fire, don't go anywhere for the day.
Swedish fire logs !

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
On the same thought, there doesn't really seem to be a labour shortage all around. Like many other shortages, the problem is distribution. There are more than enough service industry workers. The issue is that there are too many damn restaurants and bars. The only real labour shortage is in the medical world, and they have been trying to not fix that for a long time. We certainly have enough soldiers, how about some of them get to be nurses, but we don't make them work all day and all night for free for a decade before getting to work for some egotistical @sshole who makes a million a year to sign paperwork?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
"Very few haves and mostly have nots" is the current state of the world, and has been all across the globe for most of the time of human society. It was a situation created, and since maintained, by religion. Something we may eventually be free from the grips of. The imbalance is worse now that it has ever been, and spare me the "what are you talking about, everyone gets a new iPhone every year" distracted point missing.
The imbalance is the best it has ever been since prehistory

GTFO

Capitalism allowed that

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

On the same thought, there doesn't really seem to be a labour shortage all around. Like many other shortages, the problem is distribution. There are more than enough service industry workers. The issue is that there are too many damn restaurants and bars. The only real labour shortage is in the medical world, and they have been trying to not fix that for a long time. We certainly have enough soldiers, how about some of them get to be nurses, but we don't make them work all day and all night for free for a decade before getting to work for some egotistical @sshole who makes a million a year to sign paperwork?
100%

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The imbalance is the best it has ever been since prehistory

GTFO

Capitalism allowed that
Not exactly, but I understand your point. Micro vs micro, but that will inevitably highlight temporary disruptions rather than large scale trends.

And to be fair, unregulated capitalism did not make that happen. Continual refinement and restrictions would also be part of the equation.

Reactions: Ifallalot

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Stagnant wages are a lot of the problem.

Why would you go do hard work, when you have no prospect of achieving anything that way? If you work at a restaurant the best you can hope for is getting by. You'll never afford a house the way prices are. In the past it was much easier to afford a house with the lower-end jobs.

Better to take advantage of society while taking a shot at achieving your goals.

Easier to sit in front of a screen in a state of learned helplessness.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Saw an article about the bonus ghosting being a thing everywhere.

Pretty clever if you ask me. As I laugh at NFL teams for not having strict clauses to their fat signing bonuses I apply a similar metric here.

Never underestimate the clever manuvering of a lazy person especially during a hiring boom.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Saw an article about the bonus ghosting being a thing everywhere.

Pretty clever if you ask me. As I laugh at NFL teams for not having strict clauses to their fat signing bonuses I apply a similar metric here.

Never underestimate the clever manuvering of a lazy person especially during a hiring boom.
We have a crap worker in the dept.

The office manager says how stupid she is.

I was like, No she is an expert at getting out of work.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. SF and Marin where I’ve worked and lived my whole life has become inundated with cash from tech and other young professionals pushing home prices to a point where where anything less than 200k for a household is a struggle. Service workers are coming from further and further away to work. There has to be some tipping point where these service jobs can’t be fulfilled as people find work closer to their residence. The only solution I see is every other industry raising prices to create a balance.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Can anybody esplain what's going on here?

Local favorite restaurant now closing due to labor shortage.

Seen this elsewhere as well.

Wher'd all the workers go?
I work with a lot of restaurants and most are struggling for staff.

One place is offering $60K/yr plus benefits for a floor manager.

Another has a bar manager position after tips; this manager would work bartending shifts *and* get a stipend for managing. I am told this position is $100K/yr after tips, and the position is eligible for benefits after X months.

Neither can find anyone sufficient.

In LA, a lot of restaurant workers were actors. They left when Hollywood shut down. It's not really back yet.

Edit: Also read that in SoCal at least a lot of restaurant workers went into construction, which never really shut down.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. SF and Marin where I’ve worked and lived my whole life has become inundated with cash from tech and other young professionals pushing home prices to a point where where anything less than 200k for a household is a struggle. Service workers are coming from further and further away to work. There has to be some tipping point where these service jobs can’t be fulfilled as people find work closer to their residence. The only solution I see is every other industry raising prices to create a balance.
Agree that there needs to be a serious ripple effect upwards in salaries, not to mention subsidized housing (and possibly also per diem) for service industry workers in places like SF.

For a political bloc that preaches sustainability, it sure seems like the economic aspect of that is being brushed under the rug.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
And, fellow teacher and husband own a bar in Bend and a restaurant/bar in Sunriver. Husband tells me last week that the going rate for signing bonuses is 1K. Said he hired some kid last week, paid him the bonus and three days later the kid cries at work and quits.
They gave the kid the $1k on day one? Well that's just stupid. Make it after probationary period or something.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
he only real labour shortage is in the medical world, and they have been trying to not fix that for a long time.
This is a great description of the situation.

Aside from operating understaffed by intent when labor is actually available, some hospitals had a policy of not hiring new graduate RNs or staff without experience so nearly everyone was/is over 50.

That's not going to work out too well.