Closing due to LABOR SHORTAGE?

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
And, fellow teacher and husband own a bar in Bend and a restaurant/bar in Sunriver. Husband tells me last week that the going rate for signing bonuses is 1K. Said he hired some kid last week, paid him the bonus and three days later the kid cries at work and quits. Other food establishments around town are not open every day. Lets just say employers in some industries are not getting top of the class candidates.

Reactions: b.r.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Our chef told us that all his buddies got hired by the hotels bc they're paying $22/hr ever since they reopened this summer. Meanwhile we can't find any cooks, but can't pay that for line cooks.

went to my favorite Hawaiian restaurant the other day, and they cut their hours, menu, and are using disposable cutlery and napkins now.

• Wow
Reactions: grapedrink

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
If a restaurant can't hire enough people right now, it could be because it is a shltty place to work. Most restaurants are.
The place I work can't get enough help right now, and a big part of that is because the owner thinks service staff can work 12+ hours without a break multiple times a week and should just suck it up. There are four of us who can do and think it is worth the money, everyone else is quitting or already gone. Bussers are almost impossible to replace at the moment because they are being demanded to work doubles and sacrifice school related things constantly, and the new ones aren't being trained because "ain't nobody got time for that" so they get frustrated and leave. I don't know if it's generational, or an American thing, or what, but a lot of people are sick of the "i offer you a place to make money, I own your life" entitled business owner.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Bosses hated it when the workers have the upper hand.

Don't worry; they will remember this time and payback is a bitch, bitches

Autoprax

Reactions: tacos

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Good thread.

Seems a very wide variety of factors playing into all this.

And, fellow teacher and husband own a bar in Bend and a restaurant/bar in Sunriver. Husband tells me last week that the going rate for signing bonuses is 1K. Said he hired some kid last week, paid him the bonus and three days later the kid cries at work and quits. Other food establishments around town are not open every day. Lets just say employers in some industries are not getting top of the class candidates.
Their mistake is paying the sign on bonus upon hiring.

Needs to be paid after month's work or something similar.

Also, good point on the tlack of op class candidates - I had been wondering the same thing myself as many of the freeloader types are now having to seek work.

My industry is about to experience something similar as the Boomer retirement tsunami is in progress...meanwhile plenty of new graduate RNs have been kept out of clinical areas and away from skills lab settings for their entire school career due to COVID liability. Not the ideal candidates.

Saw the other day where one local system is offering a $20K sign on bonus.

Reactions: sizzld1

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
So nothing to ad other than your typical mad libs?
It's obvious that this is what UBI would look like, and it's not like we're having a great artistic awakening while those people not working are just wasting their time in front of screens

It doesn't even meant that wages are too low, government covid benefits along with the rent moratorium artificially inflated how much money people expect in their pockets, and are a direct cause to the inflation we're seeing.

At the end of the day, this is only going to hurt consumers and small business owners, and will end up exacerbating the immigration issue

I do agree with stringcheese that the days of a business owner owning the employees need to end; and labor laws and mores need to be followed. A year and a half vacation taught people there's more to life than work. However, paying bus boys $25/hour isn't going to help anyone or fix this problem

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Signing bonuses for service jobs?

Fuck these kids

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Lots of parking in front of hydrants and blocking off of roads (usually comes with lots of yelling).
Nailed it. We also used to disable parking meters sometimes several times a day. My bro kept a stash of paper clips for just such purposes

Reactions: Ifallalot

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
It's obvious that this is what UBI would look like...

....I do agree with stringcheese that the days of a business owner owning the employees need to end; and labor laws and mores need to be followed. A year and a half vacation taught people there's more to life than work. However, paying bus boys $25/hour isn't going to help anyone or fix this problem
Disagree. UBI would come with the acceptance that maybe we don't need all of these businesses, many of which the only good thing you can say about them is "at least they provide jobs". The idea might be difficult for some who have wasted their entire lives building up a bank account helping some mostly pointless "business" do its thing, but the day may be coming where in the best places in the world (ie, here) there are more people who deserve to live a good life than exist places where they are needed to spend most of their lives doing something to move more money around. Adding more money to the bottom, or top, may absolutely not be the answer. Acknowledging that the future might not resemble, or be a direct extension of the past, may be.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
:shrug: it can't go on being more places to eat and places to buy toys until everyone eventually owns their own....something will be different.

Reactions: Driftcoast

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Disagree. UBI would come with the acceptance that maybe we don't need all of these businesses, many of which the only good thing you can say about them is "at least they provide jobs". The idea might be difficult for some who have wasted their entire lives building up a bank account helping some mostly pointless "business" do its thing, but the day may be coming where in the best places in the world (ie, here) there are more people who deserve to live a good life than exist places where they are needed to spend most of their lives doing something to move more money around. Adding more money to the bottom, or top, may absolutely not be the answer. Acknowledging that the future might not resemble, or be a direct extension of the past, may be.
Futurist nonsense

All businesses have a function, that's why they exist (unless artificially created or propped up by the government)

Tell me, where would this money to fund UBI come from?

It's a wonderful utopian ideal where people could just be free to hang out but it's just that, utopian

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Good thread.

Seems a very wide variety of factors playing into all this.

Their mistake is paying the sign on bonus upon hiring.

Needs to be paid after month's work or something similar.

Also, good point on the tlack of op class candidates - I had been wondering the same thing myself as many of the freeloader types are now having to seek work.

My industry is about to experience something similar as the Boomer retirement tsunami is in progress...meanwhile plenty of new graduate RNs have been kept out of clinical areas and away from skills lab settings for their entire school career due to COVID liability. Not the ideal candidates.

Saw the other day where one local system is offering a $20K sign on bonus.
Teaching too.

They really made the job unpleasant in the last 10 years.

Reactions: hammies