Closing due to LABOR SHORTAGE?

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Huh? No, not really. It’s an incentive to encourage people to apply. I’m sure most of these places are offering a higher than usual starting pay as well.

That said, I do agree that restaurants and have gotten away with low wages for too long. However the blame for that also falls on us, as in the consumer who expects food to be cheaper and complains every time restaurants raise their prices.
Right, I'm saying they should incentivize people to apply by paying them a wage they can survive on rather than dangling this one time bonus out there, with hopes that they can go back to paying too low later. The one time bonus thing is going to lead to the results they've gotten. People take the money and run as soon as they can. If you pay a decent wage they're much more likely to stay.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Yeah I started partying really young and really hard working in restaurants. Late night, wearing your work uniform after a shift, and out with a few coworkers- that was a license to drink in virtually any bar, even at 14 years old

man the 90s were epic
60's & 70's young Man ... when "real drugs" were around and not laced with ... death.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
What kind of work?

I'm not asking for you to give away y our secret identity.

Just curious where you would get the 50% raise.
My identity isn't a secret, pretty easy to figure out who I am. I work in software, was doing remote for a few years before the pandemic started and kinda made my peace with not making baller SF money due to the flexibility it gave me. Now though, none of those startups give a fuck that you never plan on coming into their office.

Companies in Portland, Denver,. Austin, Pittsburgh etc are screwed if they aren't taking a long hard look at their comp.

Reactions: grapedrink

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
It will be like French Polynesia, where French government welfare benefits are more lucrative than what people get paid for actually working.

The only people that work are salaried expatriates from France in the visitor industry and ambitious ethnic Chinese, who wake up at 3am to bake the baguettes in Pape'ete.
Loved driving my moped down to the waterfront in the AM listening to Boz Skags on my CD player, grab a baguette and coffee, smoke a joint and watch the morning begin. Huahine, was my choice of relaxation. Pape'ete, for the continuous daily mur mur vibe ~
Rarotonga, (where I was living) was only an hours ride away on Hawaiian Air from Pape'ete.

Last edited:

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Good thread.

Seems a very wide variety of factors playing into all this.

Their mistake is paying the sign on bonus upon hiring.

Needs to be paid after month's work or something similar.

Also, good point on the tlack of op class candidates - I had been wondering the same thing myself as many of the freeloader types are now having to seek work.

My industry is about to experience something similar as the Boomer retirement tsunami is in progress...meanwhile plenty of new graduate RNs have been kept out of clinical areas and away from skills lab settings for their entire school career due to COVID liability. Not the ideal candidates.

Saw the other day where one local system is offering a $20K sign on bonus.
I aid same thing, mistake, until I talked to multiple owners and found if it's not upfront $$, not even interested. Just another cost. Too many people in Central OR seem to be getting free shet so no need work li'dat cruise um!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think the demand for restaurants has dropped significantly and it's easier to blame labor shortage or to over exert your business and blame labor shortage than to say that you're restaurant isn't profitable any more.

I think there were too many restaurants pre pandemic (in Hawaii any way) and people cooked at home for a year and liked it (or liked saving money) and now don't see the point in getting takeout or eating at fancy restaurants as often.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I think the demand for restaurants has dropped significantly and it's easier to blame labor shortage or to over exert your business and blame labor shortage than to say that you're restaurant isn't profitable any more.

I think there were too many restaurants pre pandemic (in Hawaii any way) and people cooked at home for a year and liked it (or liked saving money) and now don't see the point in getting takeout or eating at fancy restaurants as often.
When I moved to LA two years ago there was talk on the NPR about and local LA rags/blogs about how we might have reached a saturation point wrt restaurants. Not that many have closed permanently due to Covid. In LA the restaurants that are the most "instagram-able" are back by investors with very deep pockets.

What I'm hearing from some people now is that wrt wine lists...they aren't moving like they were. People figured out that the $200 wine on the list can be had for $75 at a retail shop. Show up at the restaurant with it and pay $25 corkage. Boom, you just saved $100, $120 if you tip well. Do that once a week and you saved $5K over a year on eating out.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
just got back from lunch. kids wanted smoothies after practice, so went to the mall to get Jamba Juice. Rubio's is dark/closed w hiring signs at the counter. On a Saturday afternoon?!

• Wow

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Remember early in the pandemic when people were making their own sourdough (which probably sucked) and eating frozen eggplant parm from costco (which is amazingly good) and now we are like hey we have a new baseline on what is good enough food, sowe don't need overpriced, mediocre restaurants any more.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My identity isn't a secret, pretty easy to figure out who I am. I work in software, was doing remote for a few years before the pandemic started and kinda made my peace with not making baller SF money due to the flexibility it gave me. Now though, none of those startups give a fook that you never plan on coming into their office.

Companies in Portland, Denver,. Austin, Pittsburgh etc are screwed if they aren't taking a long hard look at their comp.
Take if from people in mfg or electronics, remote s/w development is even easier to send overseas.
Remember early in the pandemic when people were making their own sourdough (which probably sucked) and eating frozen eggplant parm from costco (which is amazingly good) and now we are like hey we have a new baseline on what is good enough food, sowe don't need overpriced, mediocre restaurants any more.
These restaurants were anchor businesses in a lot of strip malls. Now that they're closing and retail is having trouble keeping stuff on shelves causing people to buy more online, what do we do with the commercial real estate? All these jobs may be unimportant to you or me, but they were important to the people who had them.

• Haha
Reactions: vanrysss

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Take if from people in mfg or electronics, remote s/w development is even easier to send overseas.

These restaurants were anchor businesses in a lot of strip malls. Now that they're closing and retail is having trouble keeping stuff on shelves causing people to buy more online, what do we do with the commercial real estate? All these jobs may be unimportant to you or me, but they were important to the people who had them.
@afoaf

Mall Food Court/Chain Restaurant Closures

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Which is why everyone is complaining about tech people making $250k/year ruining Portland/Bend/Austin/etc. I'm sure Tech Mahindra has people with my skillset just clamoring to work for $15/hr.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Loved driving my moped down to the waterfront in the AM listening to Boz Skags on my CD player, grab a baguette and coffee, smoke a joint and watch the morning begin. Huahine, was my choice of relaxation. Pape'ete, for the continuous daily mur mur vibe ~
Rarotonga, (where I was living) was only an hours ride away on Hawaiian Air from Pape'ete.

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Yessir! Best days were those dayz! :cheers:

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754