Closing due to LABOR SHORTAGE?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Tree work is hard freaking work. I used to work with a buddy who had a landscaping and tree biz in Manhattan. Taking down a big old dead tree out of a tiny garden behind a brownstone is a long painstaking and dangerous job. And then you gotta haul it all out through the service entrance in small bags.

happily-part-of-the-laptop-class OUT!

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think California expired ten days ago unless the state is ponying up and they lied to CNBC.

A fair bit of the Plains/South has been DONE for months. The place in Orlando that closed - Florida has been off that since June and the place just closed now. Orlando ain't LA but it ain't Detroit either. I don't know how a restaurant employee living paycheck to paycheck could still be cruising off federal benefits three months rent later.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Tree work is hard freaking work. I used to work with a buddy who had a landscaping and tree biz in Manhattan. Taking down a big old dead tree out of a tiny garden behind a brownstone is a long painstaking and dangerous job. And then you gotta haul it all out through the service entrance in small bags.

About sh!t myself at bids to remove our trees. then watched them worked and said "oh, ok"

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah you think it’s just like “whack it with a chain saw and let gravity do the rest” and it’s anything but that. No thanks. Every man needs to know what he knows, and know what he doesn’t know (or isn’t willing to do), and outsource that schit

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I'm just thankful the trees the previous homeowners left behind were already chopped up. Have both fire pit and wood burning stove so segregated the good pieces (sawzall/hatchet project) but a couple of those tree trunks were dense as hell. Throw those on the fire, don't go anywhere for the day. Great workout loading them up into the car and taking a few trips to the dump; impressed that the ol' subie handled the 1,000 pound load inside. It was fun shotputting several dozen 40+ pound logs into the piles from the car but man, that right shoulder was sore as a bitch the next day; no idea in hindsight how I surfed.

And then I saw the professional tree-haulers pull up with their hydraulic trailers to offload, damn, that's good thinking. :roflmao:

Was quite thirsty work. :beer:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom

Yeah I work all over LI but we cover Brooklyn as well. Those jobs where the only access is through garden level apartments are interesting. I’ve taken stump grinders through apartments and even had to remove a window to get one back there. Slow, tedious work that I try to avoid doing.

• Wow
Reactions: Ifallalot and Kento

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
We did some super gnarly jobs, most certainly not OSHA approved, on terraces and in those tiny little brownstone courtyard gardens. My man would charge these folks a ton of money, but he would have to like, bribe the building supers to get service elevator access. bribe traffic cops to let him double park the bucket truck for hours on end. hard grueling labor but paid well, and we just smoked bowls the whole day long, climbing up and down dead rotting trees on pulleys with chainsaws….good times. Simpler times

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Yeah our office manager is also the sales rep for BK and the money he sells those jobs for is insane. Sometimes his return is out of this world. Most of the time he has to sell the work just to compensate for the travel time.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
people got better jobs bc everyone is hiring?

easy clerical type jobs fill up and you have waiters again.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
My homie got paid $50,000 every year, cash, from the 76fh street condo or coop association or whatever to spend 10 days stringing Christmas lights on a single block between Madison and park. and He had a few other Xmas light contracts like that. He and his then-wife literally brought in over a million dollars a year. Granted they had plenty of overhead and hassles, but they made a lot of money

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Yeah I work all over LI but we cover Brooklyn as well. Those jobs where the only access is through garden level apartments are interesting. I’ve taken stump grinders through apartments and even had to remove a window to get one back there. Slow, tedious work that I try to avoid doing.
Having never worked or lived in a city it's hard to wrap my brain around how any work like this gets done. Just parking or staging equipment near the job must be a nightmare in itself.

Reactions: mundus

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
It will be like French Polynesia, where French government welfare benefits are more lucrative than what people get paid for actually working.

The only people that work are salaried expatriates from France in the visitor industry and ambitious ethnic Chinese, who wake up at 3am to bake the baguettes in Pape'ete.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It will drive you insane. I only worked with him sporadically for a few years during and right after college, but the endless elevators and hauling soil bags for hours, moving the truck 17 times an hour, then driving out to Home Depot and back during afternoon rush hour. ‘‘Twas maddening. Hard manual labor plus the logistical nightmares of the big city are a potent combo

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
It will be like French Polynesia, where French government welfare benefits are more lucrative than what people get paid for actually working.

The only people that work are salaried expatriates from France in the visitor industry and ambitious ethnic Chinese, who wake up at 3am to bake the baguettes in Pape'ete.
This thread is now about tree work in NYC. OK.

• Love
Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
yes, govt made it way to easy to be unemployed
for sure for people working minimum wage.

i got laid off for almost 6 months. no one in my field was really working, even those who kept their jobs. those extra bennys in EDD floated me until work came back and it just barely covered my monthly nut, but yes it was covered.didnt have to dip into my own money the whole time and in hindsight it was fine to ttake a huge paycut to sit at home. i didnt take it for granted.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
About sh!t myself at bids to remove our trees. then watched them worked and said "oh, ok"
Yep, dropping about 4K for two days of work in Oct. Our lot isn't big and has about 80 ponderosas. We marked about 20 trees ranging from 20'-50'. Close to the house and I consider myself a beginner chainsaw user. Worth it!

Reactions: silentbutdeadly