Can we talk about Channel Islands?

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
i know the shape doesnt really make sense but i gotta admit i want to try one of those g skates. I like seeing something different (for better/worse)

Mar 11, 2023
It’s kinda crazy the Bobby is their worst selling board (according to a CI). It’s one of my favorites to ride when it’s under head high. I also rarely see used ones for sale. I’m already seeing G Skates for sale around SoCal.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It’s kinda crazy the Bobby is their worst selling board (according to a CI). It’s one of my favorites to ride when it’s under head high. I also rarely see used ones for sale. I’m already seeing G Skates for sale around SoCal.

The marketing roll out was weak. And marketing is the only thing that drives the sales of these boards. Whether they are functional or not is a secondary factor.

With that stated, I think it's hard for a lot of surfers that buy these type of releases to imagine riding at the lengths suggested.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think its the marketing. I feel like the same thing happened with the Revo. Not a lot of "reviews" or "online marketing". It appears that the age group is 30-50 and since most of that age group have 9-5pm jobs, they get their information online or through social media and if a board isn't marketing heavily in those areas, it doesn't perform well. Unless of course, Kelly rides it. :LOL: :LOL:

This is just my personal anecdotal opinion about board sales.

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
I think its the marketing. I feel like the same thing happened with the Revo. Not a lot of "reviews" or "online marketing". It appears that the age group is 30-50 and since most of that age group have 9-5pm jobs, they get their information online or through social media and if a board isn't marketing heavily in those areas, it doesn't perform well. Unless of course, Kelly rides it. :LOL: :LOL:

This is just my personal anecdotal opinion about board sales.
Just like any "journalist" they spin for interest.

To clarify, the BQ sells very well in USA. Top 3.
We limited the sales data provided to top 6 boards in each region, meaning Bobby Quad didn't make top in all regions, but still came ahead of many other models, so not "worst selling"
Not hard to land out of top 6 with all the other great choices...

From the STAB article
"As for a board that didn’t do as well as expected, Scott says the Bobby Quad surprisingly fell flat — at least outside of California."

Here is the actual data

USA

1. Happy Everyday
  2. Two Happy
  3. Bobby Quad
  4. CI Mid
  5. CI Pro
  6. Twin Pin

Japan
  1. Happy Everyday
  2. NeckBeard3
  3. CI Mid
  4. Twin Pin
  5. CI Pro
  6. CI Fish

Australia

1. Happy Everyday
  2. OG Flyer
  3. CI Mid
  4. Two Happy
  5. Twin Pin
  6. CI Pro

Europe
  1. CI Mid
  2. Happy Everyday
  3. Twin Pin
  4. Two Happy
  5. FishBeard
  6. Bobby Quad

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Just like any "journalist" they spin for interest.

To clarify, the BQ sells very well in USA. Top 3.
We limited the sales data provided to top 6 boards in each region, meaning Bobby Quad didn't make top in all regions, but still came ahead of many other models, so not "worst selling"
Not hard to land out of top 6 with all the other great choices...
THanks Scott!

Reactions: sdsrfr

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Top 3 in US and top 6 in Europe doesn't sounds bad to me.
I thought the board looked sick, just from seeing Bobby and Parker ride it. I think I saw Yadin ride it too and he was ripp
Lakey ripping and talking about her CI's

:love: :love: :love:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Just spoke with Australia guys today, interestingly OG Flyer has been on a hot run over there, the best seller over the last couple months.
Then last weekend Imai gets 2nd at the Snapper contest on his Spinetek build OGF.
Something just jives with that board at those waves.

View attachment 154433View attachment 154434
What's Imai riding at the North Narrabeen contest? Yesterday looked like a blown/chunky day at El Porto. I was pretty surprised they ran eight of the men's heats in the rapidly deteriorating conditions.

Reactions: Leonardo

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
What's Imai riding at the North Narrabeen contest? Yesterday looked like a blown/chunky day at El Porto. I was pretty surprised they ran eight of the men's heats in the rapidly deteriorating conditions.
Team manager says a Fever.
He got a few Fevers in his last batch;
5'11" x 19 x 2 9/16 x 30.3L PU/PE
5'10" x 19 3/16 x 2 9/16 x 30.4L SpineTek and in PU/PE

His OGF is 5'10" x 19 1/8 x 2 9/16 x 30.7L

I can't find a height and weight for him at the moment.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Team manager says a Fever.
He got a few Fevers in his last batch;
5'11" x 19 x 2 9/16 x 30.3L PU/PE
5'10" x 19 3/16 x 2 9/16 x 30.4L SpineTek and in PU/PE

His OGF is 5'10" x 19 1/8 x 2 9/16 x 30.7L

I can't find a height and weight for him at the moment.
he looked both smooth and explosive. waves look better than last few wsl contests lolz