Can we talk about Channel Islands?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
They used to be an erBB favorite, and a general favorite amongst surfers.

Now the $100 facial-scrub selling $900 leather jacket wearing backyard-glassed Album for $1300 is by far the hottest thing here.

Clearly, surfers have changed.

Clearly, Channel Islands did not change with them.

Former star team riders now ride epoxy popouts. Former team riders now manufacture epoxy popouts. Groms and seasoned surfers alike once drooled over the CI lineup... their team riders were viewed as gods.

No more.

What does that say about the future of Santa Barbara's historic well-known surfing label?

How can they rekindle the flame?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Shapes are fine. Glassing is very variable. Not the most exciting boards out there but consistent. Pickup up a twin pin and it's fine. Only complaint is that the little piece that secures the fin in the back of the futures box broke off. First time in many years of riding futures that this happened. CI was not really helpful in any way.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I've been here a lot longer than you and I do know what I'm talking about. They were the most talked about boardmaker on the forum.

Now it's Album.

You've become an Album guy too, it seems.

Their roster used to read like a who's who of the top guys in the world.

Not so much these days.
I ride albums. I’m the only one in the lineup on them most of the time. I also own and ride around a dozen different CIs and have two on order right now.

Albums are talked about here because he makes boards that are interesting to talk about.

Theres not much to say about the differences between the Happy and the Pro and the Fever.

Go to Rincon. 50% or more of the boards under 7 feet are CIs.

You do realize that the ERBB is about 0.00000001% of the people who surf?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Casa brah is really stirring the pot today!!!!

horses for courses CI makes a great shortboard in a near infinite number of models that to Duffy's point are not that exciting to discuss + they are def on the twin fin hype with the twin pin and fishbeard which i see all over the place surfing in real life and not on the internet
I am still waiting to see any average surfer in the lineup surfing a twin fin well.

Reactions: Northern_Shores