Can we talk about Channel Islands?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
are you onboard with it WF?
I'm not sure if we're talking past eachother or whether I'm just totally missing your point, so lemme make my opinion clearer:

I think shorter, fatter thrusters are good for my local beachbreaks on average days, You have most likely surfed it too, being on the southern end of the SC. My specific spot has a rock, and starts with a W.

I think longer railed thrusters are beautiful to behold, and really shine in places on sick pointbreaks where you now surf - that spot starts with an L :D
I grew up surfing J-Bay on a 6.4 as a grom (couldn't afford more than one board anyway), this is my preference, but not my reality.

Reading your comment "wtf is up with this new fashion trend of short, stubby thrusters (or twin+trailer)? " It seems like you are dismissive of that trend, calling it a fashion and implying it's silly. It's that sentiment that I disagree with, given my example above.

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I'm not sure if we're talking past eachother or whether I'm just totally missing your point, so lemme make my opinion clearer:

I think shorter, fatter thrusters are good for my local beachbreaks on average days, You have most likely surfed it too, being on the southern end of the SC. My specific spot has a rock, and starts with a W.

I think longer railed thrusters are beautiful to behold, and really shine in places on sick pointbreaks where you now surf - that spot starts with an L :D
I grew up surfing J-Bay on a 6.4 as a grom (couldn't afford more than one board anyway), this is my preference, but not my reality.

Reading your comment "wtf is up with this new fashion trend of short, stubby thrusters (or twin+trailer)? " It seems like you are dismissive of that trend, calling it a fashion and implying it's silly. It's that sentiment that I disagree with, given my example above.
so let me get this straight, a yarpy and a convict arguing over a stubby ci thruster…

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
No, I'm just curious as to the phenomenon.

Seems like the short, stubby thruster fad had been played out (Maybe the DHD Phoenix was the closest we got) and now it's back again.

I understand it's utility in certain spots, but these are being pitched as DD's.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Seems like the short, stubby thruster fad had been played out (Maybe the DHD Phoenix was the closest we got) and now it's back again.
I feel we're close but yet so far.
I don't think it's been short lived and there are innumerable examples of these kind of boards.

I understand it's utility in certain spots, but these are being pitched as DD's.
Context matters: What's a DD for one spot is different to a DD at another spot. I ignore these as broad marketing for people who don't understand how sarfingborts work, or for those who aren't able to pick a board up and look at the rocker.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Freeride/Waxfoot - what do you call a short, stubby thruster?

To me, here are a few that come to mind
Pyzalien 2
Monstabox
Sub driver

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Fair enough. In that case, boards like that aren't popular in Sydney (Northern Beaches) either.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Freeride/Waxfoot - what do you call a short, stubby thruster?

To me, here are a few that come to mind
Pyzalien 2
Monstabox
Sub driver
The Sunny Coast's not as consistent, so you'll get more of a mix of equipment in the water, so you'll see stubbier ones around like the JS Sub Xero, Black Baron 2.1, Firewire Dominator ( not a particularly popular model, just making my point) etc.

I'm not claiming that they're in the majority (at least not where I surf, Alex Heads kooks probably have massive versions of these), just that they're certainly not been short lived.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
All still valid but average consumer not as good or older or coming off softtops or too big retro fish. And competing against hipster brands and easy ride imports. I'm pushing for 1984 to 1988 to make a comeback as models everyone has. Maybe a little wider if you want shorter. My 1985/6 CI was 5'10 x 20 1/2 x 2 1/2 which is wider than some of the shortboards at the time.

Last edited:

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
The Sunny Coast's not as consistent, so you'll get more of a mix of equipment in the water, so you'll see stubbier ones around like the JS Sub Xero, Black Baron 2.1, Firewire Dominator ( not a particularly popular model, just making my point) etc.

I'm not claiming that they're in the majority (at least not where I surf, Alex Heads kooks probably have massive versions of these), just that they're certainly not been short lived.
Agreed about the Sunny Coast. I was up there over Easter and definitely saw a lot more super grovellers and mid lengths.

Maybe it's area specific.