California, who are the lunatics in charge?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Jealous of what? I lived there my whole life. It's really easy to see the downturn that's happened when you've lived there for four decades, not one

I went to your area for the first time this summer. Better in every way
The opposite of love isn't hate.

IT's indifference.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If you need to live by an ocean to go surfing, CA is a top tier place to live in the USA.

If you don't there's really no reason to live here.

If you're not making a decent income it's woefully shitty.

There are a lot of people of means in the state that don't get that.

There are also a lot of people in the state that have never really traveled and don't understand there's a world outside of CA and think the rest of the country is MAGA. Or think Texas is paradise. It's pretty funny.

My dad and many of his friends were diaspora'd from the Bay Area in the late 70s, when they come back now it's pretty irritating to them to see what's happened to the state. Most say they noticed during return trips in the 90s that things were turning. Most of the current woes they blame on "limousine liberals" and East Coast transplants. Proof they say is the number of transplants you see living in coastal areas vs inland means transplants basically dictate the political situation in CA. I don't know the validity of their viewpoints.

Still there are a ton of other places in the USA that are much worse.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I do respect it. I also understand it. But I don’t understand the bitterness towards CA. Why bother with CA daily when you chose to leave it?
I'm sure he's riddled with regret but can't admit it to himself and especially not the erBB.

1661787322171.png

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
If you need to live by an ocean to go surfing, CA is a top tier place to live in the USA.

If you don't there's really no reason to live here.

If you're not making a decent income it's woefully shitty.

There are a lot of people of means in the state that don't get that.

There are also a lot of people in the state that have never really traveled and don't understand there's a world outside of CA and think the rest of the country is MAGA. Or think Texas is paradise. It's pretty funny.

My dad and many of his friends were diaspora'd from the Bay Area in the late 70s, when they come back now it's pretty irritating to them to see what's happened to the state. Most say they noticed during return trips in the 90s that things were turning. Most of the current woes they blame on "limousine liberals" and East Coast transplants. Proof they say is the number of transplants you see living in coastal areas vs inland means transplants basically dictate the political situation in CA. I don't know the validity of their viewpoints.

Still there are a ton of other places in the USA that are much worse.
Surfing is the only reason to live here?

Whoa.

There are still cheap places to live in California. Even on the coast.

If wage growth wasn't lagging behind, it would have been easier.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Jealous of what? I lived there my whole life. It's really easy to see the downturn that's happened when you've lived there for four decades, not one

I went to your area for the first time this summer. Better in every way
I’ve been here 5 decades. It’s more crowded, but so is everywhere. Otherwise it seems business as usual.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Luckily, you don't need an ocean or even a wavepool to surf
CA is becoming like Hawai'i where the kids all leave. Even if you've "made it" here, what are the trade-offs? The ocean is definitely amazing and I've enjoyed it from a young age and now my boys do too. But what are their prospects outside of recreation? This is something about which old people just gaslight you or mock you since everything is run for them.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
We can print more money. The problem is we can't eat or drive it. As the past two years have proven, we can't necessarily buy stuff with it either, especially when most of it goes to the big banks.

Regarding the trains, the HSR has turned into a 20-year/$100 billion boondoggle to nowhere, and this is through a relatively sparsely-populated part of CA. How much less can we build good public transportation in places where people live? Public transportation, btw, is the reason EVs might "work" in Europe - you really don't need a car in many places.
HSR thoughts. Who would take the train from Bakersfield to Modesto when you can drive it in 2 1/2 hours on hwy 99 ?

Reactions: PRCD

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Yes I am. That's why it's complete clown show when people living in the middle of a homeless encampment for 2x as much money as anywhere else try and talk sh!t

It's mainly transplants still possessed by the false Beach Boys ideal
Bye Felicia! Thanks for the empty beach.

59549618-912A-4D0D-820A-D27AC631296B.jpeg

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
HSR thoughts. Who would take the train from Bakersfield to Modesto when you can drive it in 2 1/2 hours on hwy 99 ?
Perfect example of California governance in a nutshell. Even if they finish it, it's never going to be "high speed." Meanwhile, the taxpayer (me) spent $100 billion over 20 years. It's just another pork project for a bunch of special interests to steal from.

I have no problems paying taxes for government and infrastructure, but we're getting precious little of that these days. I have a huge problem with government blatantly taking ever-more from the taxpayer and giving nothing in return.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Surfing is the only reason to live here?

Whoa.
Yes.

It's got the most consistent decent surf in the continental USA.

Otherwise, every single thing CA offers in terms of recreation is available elsewhere in the country.

Personally, climate is mostly irrelevant to me (as long as it's not the tropics - I hate the tropics)

There are still cheap places to live in California. Even on the coast.
Where are the cheap coastal areas in CA?

Reactions: CutnSnip and PRCD

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The squeeze on the middle class is real and largely the reason why guys like ifall leave - the costs constantly rise and you get nothing for your taxes which are very high and progressive so you can't just earn more to cover your costs. I suppose your response to these realities is your choice - you can accept it, be angry about it, forget about it etc. One thing's for sure, Californians are so apathetic and atomized that the era of us being able to fix our problems has passed, and you're not going to like it when we show up in your state.
This. Was having this conversation with the wife yesterday. Went into an open house right down the street with an extra bed, bath and garage space from what we have now (2/1/1). The premium to trade up in our own hood to something that would allow us to have enough space for 2 kids is around $250-350k. Building up would be a similar cost. Not complaining, it just is what it is.

At this point I don't think it's even worth it, even if it was affordable. I'd rather save myself the $300K liability and rent my current house out for part of the year furnished at $4K/month and live here during the prime months if I want. I'll figure the rest out :beer:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I’ve been here 5 decades. It’s more crowded, but so is everywhere. Otherwise it seems business as usual.
There are so many ways to avoid crowds in California, it's not even funny.

If you keep doing the same thing every day, nothing would change. Keep going to the same crowded peak and surf the same surfboard in same conditions and do nothing else will make anyone go crazy.

If you're being curious and open to trying new things and experiences in different places, California has an infinite number of options on offer.

None of that happens if you're a small minded scrooge.

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This. Was having this conversation with the wife yesterday. Went into an open house right down the street with an extra bed, bath and garage space from what we have now (2/1/1). The premium to trade up in our own hood to something that would allow us to have enough space for 2 kids is around $250-350k. Building up would be a similar cost. Not complaining, it just is what it is.

At this point I don't think it's even worth it, even if it was affordable. I'd rather save myself the $300K liability and rent my current house out for part of the year furnished at $4K/month and live here during the prime months if I want. I'll figure the rest out :beer:
All while the population of California is actually declining, and I guarantee the rate of decline is 3x worse than reported. It's not poors leaving either - it's people with a lot of money. I know several, some with 100s of employees between them.

Something really fishy is going on between the Fed printing and the banks buying SFHs.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Where are the cheap coastal areas in CA?
Between TJ and Bodega Bay, very few. You could've bought a good house in Oceano (close to the beach, 5-10 min to Pismo) for under $400k just a few years ago. Those days are long gone. At this point, maybe Lompoc and Guadalupe, at best :unsure: :toilet: