California, who are the lunatics in charge?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I would respectfully disagree. IMO progressive taxation is the most fair - CA gets it and Texas doesn't.

If you make $50K/year, 100% of that money goes to food, shelter, clothing, transport, and health necessities. There's really no extra money, and any taxes you pay really, really hurt.
And they use the same roads, schools, emergency services etc as the rest of us.

If you make $500K/year, food, shelter, clothing, transport, and health necessities can all be paid for lavishly with several hundred thou left over. Any taxes you pay don't hurt your ability to live comfortably at all, and you would still have $$$ left over for sh!t like Porsches and ski trips.
Except you are jumping right from $50K to $500K and ignoring everything in between . . . Just like that shitty misleading graph. Someone making $100-150K/year on the coast is not exactly rich either. Which is why the graph conveniently left that out, because if they included that it would show how just much those in the $100-200Kish range get hammered- which is a far higher percent of their income than the bottom 80%. Which is basically the range you need to be in just to be house poor at todays prices with a family of 4.

Beyond that, the reason why the math works that way is they are comparing a state with income tax to one that doesn't. The potential for income taxes is almost infinite, however property taxes on even the most luxurious homes will only be so much. Plus the poor spend a higher % of their money on sales tax, whereas the 1% don't spend all that much more on taxable goods compared to the upper 1.1-20%. It's not apples to apples, especially when you leave out 19% of the tax base for both states.

• Love
Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
How do you know that about people who earn that much? Why should they not be able to enjoy the fruits of their success? Why should you be entitled to their money?

Because of people who think like you, someone making $500k is getting $136k STOLEN from them.

View attachment 136839
I appreciate you looking out for me, but why are you complaining about my taxes when I’m not?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
1661726667073.jpeg

It fascinated me that people that do something real for a living are able to figure out whether or not something will work from heuristics and gut feel while the bugman laptop class needs tobe given the results from a model created by an academic only to arrive at the wrong answer. To paraphrase Lord Kelvin, “With 3 parameters I can fit an elephant.”

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I always find it incredibly surprising that you are actually capable of empathy, even though 'empathy is cancer'.

What's fucking hilarious, is where you choose to place that empathy. :roflmao:
Must be tough, living on only $336K after taxes. Oh the tyranny!!!!

BTW Grape, here are the CA tax rates:
1661727079344.png

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
View attachment 136844

It fascinated me that people that do something real for a living are able to figure out whether or not something will work from heuristics and gut feel while the bugman laptop class needs tobe given the results from a model created by an academic only to arrive at the wrong answer. To paraphrase Lord Kelvin, “With 3 parameters I can fit an elephant.”
We’ll, it’s a good thing that this will happen over a period of 13 years and not all at once.

Also, it’s quite unlikely batteries will become smaller and more efficient. Quite unlikely indeed. Sulfur won’t replace cobalt etc.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Well, since big business is steadily going elsewhere, CA "progressives" will need more and more of your money in order to fund their hobbies......like trains!
yes, everyone is leaving CA!

Werent people here crying because Gavin wanted to give tax money back?

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
yes, everyone is leaving CA!

Werent people here crying because Gavin wanted to give tax money back?
....that's known as bribing for voters.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Greed and envy are very ugly and unbecoming; subtract another $50k according to that graph if they live in CA

And bam. Government has stole 50%
If you are making $250K/year you are taking home about $175K in CA.
Bam.