Breaking down various EPS/alt constructions

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I ran into Javier this morning surfing. He has such exceptional style. He was riding one of his own designs in stringerless carbon. But it wasn’t the parallel placement. He showed me the board on the beach and it looked great. It was really working well for him.

XTR foam, IMO, feels better than EPS foam. Not sure why. But it’s closer to PU.

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
PU/Epoxy always surfs good but the durability is inconsistent, i purchased a PU/Epoxy maurice cole from a member on the forum and it dents like no board ive ever seen. It is so soft that there is pressure dents from where i grab on to duck dive. In saying that the board surfs AMAZING!

The PE/Epoxy from hayden shapes always looks good and super clean.
I've got an epoxy over PU from Maurice. 6'3" step up. It's an insane point break board that I love riding.
It's holding up well, still feels fresh but I can't notice any real durability or performance dividend over PU/PE.

Reactions: jkb

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I've got an epoxy over PU from Maurice. 6'3" step up. It's an insane point break board that I love riding.
It's holding up well, still feels fresh but I can't notice any real durability or performance dividend over PU/PE.
Freeride-are your beloved ghosts all pu/pe? Thinking about adding one. if so, stock glass 4-4-4?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I've only got one. stock 6'1".

mate, to be honest I'm not sure of the glassing schedule on it.

feels like 4-4-4.

perfect weight for my tastes.

I'll strip it soon and post a photo. for a 3 year old pu/pe it's in insane condition.

Reactions: urchined and jkb

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I've only got one. stock 6'1".

mate, to be honest I'm not sure of the glassing schedule on it.

feels like 4-4-4.

perfect weight for my tastes.

I'll strip it soon and post a photo. for a 3 year old pu/pe it's in insane condition.
That's the glass lab for you - my Phantom and Gremlin are both in epic condition.

Reactions: urchined and jkb

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
That's the glass lab for you - my Phantom and Gremlin are both in epic condition.
I’m surprised that you’ve had good luck with the glass lab, maybe Channel Islands requests certain glassing schedules but they seem to snap easily surfing tiny dbah and are not too reliable repairs wise. My mates have had better luck with the CIs glasses down in Mona vale.

although knowing Matt Aldridge I know that he wouldn’t allow shoddy quality glassing to go through.

pyzel, lost, and MR use TC glasshouse. Tony Cohen has EPIC glass jobs

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I'm pretty sure that's not the case anymore @ULUSURFER ? pyzel, lost, and MR were all in the glass lab.

My brother in law surfs a Hammo produced there too and its holding up so well ... and he's a 6.1 95kg bigboy.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's not the case anymore @ULUSURFER ? pyzel, lost, and MR were all in the glass lab.

My brother in law surfs a Hammo produced there too and its holding up so well ... and he's a 6.1 95kg bigboy.

I think it must depends on the orders if stock or custom. My friends always requested TC glasshouse for pyzel and lost. From people with Staceys ive heard good things from the glass lab. like i said maybe its a channel islands specific thing. Lots of good boards coming out of both currumbin and the south tweed surfboard making ghetto hahahah

speaking of alternative construction CI spinetek is homegrown right out of the currumbin industrial estate at shapers. No idea how CI picked up this tech though...

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
IMO epoxy resin over PU is a waste of money. You're better off going with 's' glass/ poly over PU if you
are thinking the epoxy resin adds more durability, flexibility, strength. For the extra $75-100 upcharge you can get the
's' glass w/poly for half that with way more durability, strength, a bit stiffer though.

Reactions: JDJ

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
speaking of alternative construction CI spinetek is homegrown right out of the currumbin industrial estate at shapers. No idea how CI picked up this tech though...
Those are made in the new Kinaroad factory. My Gary McNeill is out of that factory, and the deck seems to be a little bit softer than I would have liked it to be. I've seen the Spineteks also being a bit on the mushy side?

Oct 1, 2015
After all that, my conclusion is:

1. Stretch CFT
2. SuperFlex / FF
3*.
4. PU ( I CAN'T QUIT YOU )
5. XTR / FCD / COIL (three way tie)

*(1 & 2 are so far ahead, I had to leave 3 blank)

I added up all I spent, deducted what I resold, looked at the number once and then threw the paper away. Don't ask.
Hmmm, So my flash back fish Coil was recently stolen :/ (POS whoever steals boards). In the market to replace my step-up grovler. I'm 32 178lbs and int/adv, surfing 14 years. I have a 5'6 31L Fling in Superflex for govel & a Rusty Model 8 29L hpsb in Torsion Spring. My Coil was 5'9 19 5/8 2 7/16 at 30L. I emailed Kirk but no response. Have been loyal to Coil for about 7 years. But thinking of going either Superflex Magic Mix or Torsion Spring for sake of consistency and to keep the durability I seek. My thoughts are:

1)I never see Superflex on anything but the fling and never see it ridden by rippers (My weird marketing brain likes to see whats possible on a board and tech for inspiration before my avg abilities take over). Tech does feel nice on my Fling though. Concerns me that the tech isn't ideal for anything other than Fling. Super did make a whole other tech (supertech). Did find this clip:

2) I havent surfed my Torsion a ton (waves not big enough). But have liked the feel of it. Weight feels a little heavier than epoxy for a more solid feel. More clips online and in lineups with examples of ripping. However, I don't really see the model in Rustys lineup for my needs (Concave decks throw off my sizing).

What do you guys think? What would you do between Superflex and Torsion? Coil still an option if Kirk gets back to me

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Hmmm, So my flash back fish Coil was recently stolen :/ (POS whoever steals boards). In the market to replace my step-up grovler. I'm 32 178lbs and int/adv, surfing 14 years. I have a 5'6 31L Fling in Superflex for govel & a Rusty Model 8 29L hpsb in Torsion Spring. My Coil was 5'9 19 5/8 2 7/16 at 30L. I emailed Kirk but no response. Have been loyal to Coil for about 7 years. But thinking of going either Superflex Magic Mix or Torsion Spring for sake of consistency and to keep the durability I seek. My thoughts are:

1)I never see Superflex on anything but the fling and never see it ridden by rippers (My weird marketing brain likes to see whats possible on a board and tech for inspiration before my avg abilities take over). Tech does feel nice on my Fling though. Concerns me that the tech isn't ideal for anything other than Fling. Super did make a whole other tech (supertech). Did find this clip:

2) I havent surfed my Torsion a ton (waves not big enough). But have liked the feel of it. Weight feels a little heavier than epoxy for a more solid feel. More clips online and in lineups with examples of ripping. However, I don't really see the model in Rustys lineup for my needs (Concave decks throw off my sizing).

What do you guys think? What would you do between Superflex and Torsion? Coil still an option if Kirk gets back to me
Rusty torsion flex is XTR technology.

Check out all the boards you can get on the XTR website.

Oct 1, 2015
Rusty torsion flex is XTR technology.

Check out all the boards you can get on the XTR website.

Thx for the reply. I saw some. That Hydroshort looks appealing. But have actually ordered 2 new xtrs. One in PC and the other in SLCK. The PC was too light for my liking and the SLCK either to big or overbouyant. The blue dense stringer seemed to cary more float. So far I like the feel of stringerless. But i'll look into xtr. Maybe their SL-C

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I could see how the blue HD stringer foam might add some buoyancy. Mine are usually 0.5-1.5 L < than what I would ride in standard EPS. I haven't tried the parallel carbon (aesthetics) but I really like the SL-C build.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Ok so what's the difference between SL-C and SL-CK

estoy confudido

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I got a legacy board on order

I think I’m gonna order one more.

The thing about legacy though is it’s kind of heavy. Whcih isn’t much problem for longboards but on a fish it might be a drag.

Anyone have a 2Win in CFT?

I had one, and you can't go wrong with the CFT durability. I'm really digging the SLT on my latest 2win though, definitely springy, but it's glassed lighter too.