Breaking down various EPS/alt constructions

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Think the best feeling ones have been FF and CW for me.
FF put a nice rail shatter from my shin first session but other then that it was a fav and still bright white when I sold.
My CW not as durable as I'd hoped but feels poppy, light and got a nice footwell quick which I like.
Didn't care for my Coil, Corvevac felt stiff but should've ordered thinner.
50/50 from Chilli felt good but lots of shatters.
May try a Lightspeed after this CW.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I could see how the blue HD stringer foam might add some buoyancy. Mine are usually 0.5-1.5 L < than what I would ride in standard EPS. I haven't tried the parallel carbon (aesthetics) but I really like the SL-C build.
high density means less buoyancy, not more.

stringer (or stringerless, like parallel carbon) would imply more low density foam than what the wider HD blue foam is replacing.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Thx for the reply. I saw some. That Hydroshort looks appealing. But have actually ordered 2 new xtrs. One in PC and the other in SLCK. The PC was too light for my liking and the SLCK either to big or overbouyant. The blue dense stringer seemed to cary more float. So far I like the feel of stringerless. But i'll look into xtr. Maybe their SL-C
Just get one with a stringer. It feels closest to a PU both in feel and weight, but still has that pop and durability of an alt tech.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Stretch CFT - Probably the best all-around epoxy/eps construction.

SL-CK - The second-best all-around epoxy/alt construction. The best epoxy/alt const if you like non-wood/alt stringers.

Carbon wrap - strong, springy, works in powerful waves, definitely better in small waves.

Light Speed - feels great in small waves, smoother than Carbon Wrap, overpowered in bigger surf but could be a board thinness issue.

Future Flex - Felt good but rails could bonk when pushed hard and it would get weird. Otherwise felt great.

Hi-Fy - Felt fine but my friends' buckled in a 3-foot wave. No thanks.

LFT - Feels good on a midlength. Probably wouldn't go for it for a shortboard. Doesn't feel super lively.

Varial - Can be hit or miss. Too light IMO for a shortboard but feels great on step-downs or grovelers.

Black Arts - Ultra strong. Ultra-stiff. Better for low rocker boards that aren't expected to flex IMO.

Oct 1, 2015
As someone who knows very little about board building, Interesting that high density would be less bouyant. Felt to me like it wanted to sit on top of the water. Probably ordered too thick. Im not sure what it was with SL-CK, but Torsion feels much more "grounded" in the water haha.

Also again, i know i shouldnt think this way, but i admit im human and my mirror neurons are subject to marketing. Like to see a board shreded, and just havent found a ton of video or see good guys in the lineup on SL-CK. Found a few on Torsion (rusty sponsor guy zeke), some on other xtr builds (tomo),few on coil (chris dennis), and less on superflex. That thinking does subject me to major brands that can afford to sponsor pros, tons of footage on carbon wrap, lightspeed, spine-tek, hyfi, futureflex, ect. The concern their is that all those are mass produced (all from thailand?) and wont get the quality id get ordering custom in usa. Hence why i stick with coil, torsion, xtr, superflex.

Anyone know building difference between HS future flex and Superflex? Ton of footage on FF and heard good things. Feedback on durability of the build? Do see yellow ones on CL. Superflex durability and pop are amazing in my fling.

As for wooden stringers, havent had one in 7 years since this alt journey began. Listened to John John and pyzel talk, and they said that wood only has so many times it will flex before it feels dead. I guess that stiffness would be fine for bigger waves though.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
The concern their is that all those are mass produced (all from thailand?) and wont get the quality id get ordering custom in usa.

Anyone know building difference between HS future flex and Superflex? Ton of footage on FF and heard good things. Feedback on durability of the build? Do see yellow ones on CL. Superflex durability and pop are amazing in my fling.
Higher quality from custom orders in US has not always been my experience. Quality coming out of some Thailand or Aus builds can be exceptional.

I just took the wax off some of my boards and I can still report the HS future flex build is exceptionally durable. Even more so than my XTR. One is about a year and a half and another is close to a year old. I am surprised and impressed because these are also my favorite builds form a performance point of view, so having exceptional durability on top is quite a bonus for me. Both are colored so I can't speak to yellowing.

Oct 1, 2015
Higher quality from custom orders in US has not always been my experience. Quality coming out of some Thailand or Aus builds can be exceptional.

I just took the wax off some of my boards and I can still report the HS future flex build is exceptionally durable. Even more so than my XTR. One is about a year and a half and another is close to a year old. I am surprised and impressed because these are also my favorite builds form a performance point of view, so having exceptional durability on top is quite a bonus for me. Both are colored so I can't speak to yellowing.
Right on! Thanks for the report Lohena! HS FF has alot of positive feedback and a ton of video clips online with rave reviews. Good to hear the durability and maintained pop is there! ordering color would solve yellowing! The stringerless build would also help me maintain consistency in terms of feel with my fling and torsion. Just curious what xtr build you ride?

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Right on! Thanks for the report Lohena! HS FF has alot of positive feedback and a ton of video clips online with rave reviews. Good to hear the durability and maintained pop is there! ordering color would solve yellowing! The stringerless build would also help me maintain consistency in terms of feel with my fling and torsion. Just curious what xtr build you ride?
Parallel carbon 8.0. It's solid, but more pressure dents than FF, a little unexpected!

Reactions: summersurf07

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Ah gotcha, sorry was talking about the FF. I'm assuming that was custom with the color?
Yes I was too. I have 2 HS in FF. A colored Untitled in FF I bought online that was shipped from their El Segundo shop, and a colored Black Noiz in FF that was custom.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'll second the feel and durability of FF. I've had mine for about 2 years now and it still looks new (I got color as well). One small rail crack is the only thing I've experienced.

I'm a fan. Will definitely get another one.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
As someone who knows very little about board building, Interesting that high density would be less bouyant.
im sorry but I have to pick on people using words they don’t understand. I suggest you look into this statement and report back. Or not. But either way, you suck at this. Has nothing to do with board building and everything to do with highschool level physics.

I guess I was just triggered.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Picked up a mint Coil in original tech. A little outside my dims, but outside of Justin's carbon, its the best construction ive used, so had to pick it up. Not crazy about recent Coil construction

Reactions: JDJ

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I have two XTR stringerless parallel carbon builds - one PC#1 with 8.C glassing (Pyzel Gremlin) and one PC#3 with 8.0 glassing (Pyzel Shadow).

I don't have much to compare against other than standard stringered PU/PE or EPS/epoxy so you'll have to take my endorsement with a grain of salt, but I really really really like the SL-PC. When you load the board up on rail it just effortlessly shoots you out of the turn which makes it much easier for a mediocre surfer like me to link turns together and flow.

YMMV, no idea how it compares to their other builds. I'd still like to try a standard stringered XTR but I feel like if I were ordering another board from them I'd find it hard to resist ordering SL-PC.

Edit: I also happen to think it looks dope, I know some people on here don't like the aesthetic but it's about the most distinctive alt construction around so I get a lot of questions about it too.

Oct 1, 2015
im sorry but I have to pick on people using words they don’t understand. I suggest you look into this statement and report back. Or not. But either way, you suck at this. Has nothing to do with board building and everything to do with highschool level physics.

I guess I was just triggered.
Ok trying to start an argument online, sure this will make both of us feel great. Never did i claim i understood the word density. Like a lot of highschool science, math, knowledge in general, if you dont use it, you lose it. My statement was subjective with what i felt and prefer and was simply asking of others the same. But since you were triggered, i looked into the statement and it seems your right, if thats what you wanted to hear. By looking at a swaylocks bouancy thread, it gets complex though. There seems to be a variety of variables too how a board floats and once you catch a wave planning. This all leads to to a subjective feel of surfing and how two boards of the same density can feel different. I stick by my statement as someone who admittidly knows nothing about board building that it is still interesting that it felt bouyant. And like i said, maybe it was i just ordered too thick. I prefaced my comments saying that i dont know about board building and was simply talking about a subjective opinion and still get attacked. Im glad i suck at this, dont want to be good at online forum arguments. congrats on being good at this bud. moving on