Breaking down various EPS/alt constructions

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Wondering if guys who have tried various eps/alt constructions can break down the best in terms of durability and flex/feel. so much marketing hype it's kinda hard to understand what works and what is bs. Probably forgetting some but these seem like the major ones.
ci spintek
lost carbon wrap
lost c4
libtec
coil
xtr
js hyfi
firewire (don't think they do custom though which is a no go for me)
futureflex
Which of these would top the charts in terms of durability? feel? any consensus on what has the best of both worlds? Seems like xtr is very popular on here. I kinda have a good idea what type boards/dims I like now want something that will last a couple years. Can't afford to drop 800 on a p/u every 6 months.

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Coil has ridiculous durability, and, IMO, it takes the cake. Those libtech boards look indestructible though. I don’t know how they ride.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
For me ,

They all have + & -

SpineTech feels really good while surfing and has no chatter but durability does not seem to any greater than a standard eps epoxy builds. Another + is CI has all the models in the world to chose from .

Future flex feels nice with thinner hpsb kind of boards but as the rails get thicker the boards start to feel very rigid . not all shapers will make them and lots of the stock ones are Overseas built

Never rode a carbon wrap, but while feeling up a Vietnam made one in the shop I crushed the nose. Domestic built ones have ridges where the carbon is . pass

Lib tech . still a pop out just made in Washington . heard they don't ding very easy

C4 feels nice on the few small wave boards I rode. Duribility was high as none had any pressures and have yet to see one snapped or buckled( even the Viet build ones ) so far only lost , inspired, or Nielsson offer them

Xtr, offer epoxy alt construction that does not drink up water if damaged . world wideshipping . lot of shapers to chose from.
Feel? Love it or hate it , not many in the middle ...
To me they are stiff and lack drive

Hyfi is Thai made but lots of folks love them because they are not to light and tend to not get very dented up . surf well

Coil. , full custom and very strong . lots of custom options , some models to chose from and Kirk does an excellent job of creating
Couple build choices that can make them pretty bombproof
Only down side is the dimples might feel odd in your hands and get in your head

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I will just throw it out there that a well made pu/pe with quality materials will still be fairly strong, especially with S cloth.

Reactions: Havoc

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
To expand on my experience:

JS Hyfi - Love the feel, light, lively and responsive. Durability is questionable, mine got stress fractures. Stock glass is light, custom order is more $$. However, friend of mine in HI rides them in everything and hasn't had durability issues.

XTR Parallel Carbon - Lively and light feel, but on the stiff side. Different than eps boards. Good for bumpy or solid waves. Durability solid, but yellows fast.

Firewire helium - Great feel, light and lively, great durability. Yellows fast.

Lost carbon wrap - Haven't ridden one, but custom ordered one and returned it due to cracks around the fin boxes. CA glassed. I tried to order heavier glass on deck and they were reluctant. Stock glass is light. I'm not confident about the build quality coming from CA.

HS Future flex - Best eps feel/durability combo so far. Love the springy responsiveness, no chatter, carries speed well. So far only minor deck dents under front foot. Standard glass is heavier than other builds.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
For me ,

Hyfi is Thai made but lots of folks love them because they are not to light and tend to not get very dented up . surf well
The Hyfi is also made in AU - I think if you get any custom, they're made in AU.

Reactions: Mat6920
Mar 1, 2010
i really like the helium tech.. feel like its so easy to put board where u want it.. never felt like it is too light. i surf heavy offshores often

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I've had two XTR boards. Both standard with stringers. They feel good to me. Some say they're stiff. I'm 220 and think they ride fine. Going to try a stringless model for my next board. The good thing about XTR is it is closed cell foam.

Have a CI Flexbar which is what they made prior to spine tek. Feels really good and doesn't chatter like a traditional EPS board. Strength seems questionable but I'm happy with it for the price I paid.

I'm interested in trying Varial foam but haven't got around to it.

Reactions: chilly1

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I also have a CI flexbar which I dig

I think it was too labor intensive to build so they jettisoned it in favor of spinetek

I wonder if you can still get flexbar as a custom option

when they started offering it they guaranteed no buckling for a year

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
very new to non poly bores but ci spinesex felt really good and I didn't really care for the board (rocket wide) that much if that tells you anything.

my dd from stim tramps is 444 eps epoxy and I'm digging it. I can't imagine riding poly again on a board for waves chest high and below

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I've had great experience with XTR and I'm hooked on the feel of their stringerless. Customer service from Shey is excellent and he patiently answered all my stupid questions about the different build options. I think if you explain what your priorities and preferences are, he can get you dialed with the right mix of flex, weight, durability. Lots of top shapers to choose from. Definitely recommend one of their stringerless builds. I'd also suggest a color tint or airbrush, as they do tend to yellow, but I've had some of them for years. I haven't tried their latest tech, parallel carbon, yet but it sounds like it's very customizable, and is next on my list.

If you're considering a Pyzel model, you might look at the carbon fiber boards by Dark Arts. Remarkably lightweight yet durable. Built in San Diego.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
XTR stringered feel great to me. similar to PU but with a little extra spice. SL-CK also felt good, being a little more flexible. not sure which I prefer. Two of my favorites right now are wood stringered XTR 8.C. They yellow worse than some so get color if that bothers you.

Torsion Spring from Rusty also uses same XPS foam as the XTR guys but with the carbon rail dealio. I like the build, similar feel to XTR but also a little different in ways I'm not sure I can describe. I think I prefer the XTR builds TBH even though Rusty fit and finish is good. I'm just not sure I like carbon rails. Not sure if they have the same yellowing problem as XTR, they have a purplish tint so I think they use an optical brightener which may help. Mine all have color so I can't tell for sure.

Both of the above builds are noticeably more durable than a normal PU but they aren't indestructible. They don't suck water when dinged which is really nice. I also feel like the XPS foam core might be a bit tougher than EPS? I've busted out a lot of fin boxes or cracked around the boxes on both EPS and PU boards over the years but have yet to see any stress cracks on any of my XTR fin boxes.

Carbon Wrap feels good. Only ridden mine in somewhat small waves since the one I have is a groveler but I have taken it out in strong winds and bumpy conditions and it was fine. Feels like a reasonable weight, not crazy light. Springy and responsive. Durability not great at all on mine. Dents EZ and speaking of blowing out fin boxes...

HyFi has nice weight. Looks like a lot of fiber used. Feels solid in hand. Handles chop and wind better than most EPS builds I've tried so far. Lively and springy but not overly so. Good balance of weight/flex. Durability good so far. Passed the guardrail bonk test with flying colors. Got this one used online, expected AUS made but it's a Thai board so that's one knock.

Stretch EPS stringered. Good balance, not too light. Good durability. Despite the weight being reasonable I felt like they were sometimes overly lively, like the bamboo stringer flexed and sprung back more than I really cared for.

Super Brand Superflex. Similar to HyFi, maybe a little lighter. It's EPS, it's lively and responsive. Durability seems good so far. Fit and finish is good. USA made.

Coil, man I used to love them. The OG grid were the best EPS boards ever. Good weight, great feel, amazing durability. So far ahead of their time. Once they went to dimple tech they kind of lost me. They seemed lighter and didn't work as well for me in juice. They also didn't seem quite as strong and fixing dings was a more of a pain with the bumpy surface. Broke two of them in one winter and haven't gotten another one since. That's not to say they were weak, the waves were heavy and I think most other boards would have broken.

Stringered EPS. I've had quite a few of these. Honestly with the right core, a thin stringer and a little extra glass I think a standard EPS board feels just as good as any of the fancy looking carbon builds. I adore my EPS Banjo fish with just double 4oz. top and bottom. I would probably go 6x4 + 4x4oz. next time for just a little extra weight and durability.

I'm probably forgetting some.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Stretch legacy is totally bombproof and rides great in all conditions. At around $1200 it’s not cheap. Mine is going on 5 years old and it looks like the day I bought it.

XTR is great had many but they yellow too easy.

bourton bdx xtra-strong is amazing eps core with stringer and double diagonal glass Job. 6x4 top and bottom. Very light.

original firewire fst was amazing.

future flex feels springy and lively. My friend snapped my chilli future flex in Bali.

standard stretch eps feels like a regular board.

Hyfi surfs great but can’t speak to durability

Pu/epoxy surfs great but Is super soft and dents way too easy. Never had a board dent where I grip to duck dive.

honestly if I had the money I would only buy stretch legacy as they literally never die and surf amazingly well

Reactions: hotCheetos and JDJ