Breaking down various EPS/alt constructions

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Dang. Triggered by me being triggered. I guess we both lose.

None the less, plenty of threads on buoyancy. It’s funny how often it comes up. You’re not alone thus my triggeringed. Volume numbers be dammed.

:cheers:

Oct 1, 2015
Picked up a mint Coil in original tech. A little outside my dims, but outside of Justin's carbon, its the best construction ive used, so had to pick it up. Not crazy about recent Coil construction
Awesome! Did you pick this one up used? Kirk finally got back to me. i inquired about the different finishes. May i ask what you didnt like about the dimple tech? someone else said it felt pingy.. i can see that. Also does the smooth tech still have a strip of carbon on the deck?

Oct 1, 2015
I'll second the feel and durability of FF. I've had mine for about 2 years now and it still looks new (I got color as well). One small rail crack is the only thing I've experienced.

I'm a fan. Will definitely get another one.
Cheers. Alot of endorsment on FF. Making me think

Oct 1, 2015
Dang. Triggered by me being triggered. I guess we both lose.

None the less, plenty of threads on buoyancy. It’s funny how often it comes up. You’re not alone thus my triggeringed. Volume numbers be dammed.

:cheers:
Yea its a lose lose. Ok i understand, should have looked more into it. was just saying how it felt of the cusp.

Look at us working things out online. Rare nowadays. In person im sure we'd have a laugh about it haha

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I have two XTR stringerless parallel carbon builds - one PC#1 with 8.C glassing (Pyzel Gremlin) and one PC#3 with 8.0 glassing (Pyzel Shadow).

I don't have much to compare against other than standard stringered PU/PE or EPS/epoxy so you'll have to take my endorsement with a grain of salt, but I really really really like the SL-PC. When you load the board up on rail it just effortlessly shoots you out of the turn which makes it much easier for a mediocre surfer like me to link turns together and flow.

YMMV, no idea how it compares to their other builds. I'd still like to try a standard stringered XTR but I feel like if I were ordering another board from them I'd find it hard to resist ordering SL-PC.

Edit: I also happen to think it looks dope, I know some people on here don't like the aesthetic but it's about the most distinctive alt construction around so I get a lot of questions about it too.
Yea I hear you about the PC. I like the look of it too and think it is a much underrated construction. I get that XTR PC is kind of under the radar, costs a little more, and has had delam issues in the past. However I think the custom flex options in PC is quite a breakthrough. Have to admit I'm interested in exploring it a little further as the board I have in PC is a step up Ghost and feels a little on the stiff side, but that might have to do with the board itself and not the construction as it is quite thick for me.

Anyway, first I think it is generally a tech breakthrough to move the stringer towards the rails such as future flex, Firewire, and PC. If you’re surfing on a rail, it makes sense to have the flex controlling aspect of the board (wood or carbon) in the water responding to that flex rather than just having the foam and fiberglass performing that function. I have definitely noticed more pop out of turns from boards with those constructions, and I think there’s still a lot of room to improve and experiment with different options here. However most of those boards are EPS, and for surfers who do not like that feel, they’re probably not going to like those constructions.

This is where I think XTR PC is much underrated because the foam has similar density and feel to PU. Not only are you getting a better response by putting the stringer in the water closer to the rail, XTR allows you to customize flex unlike other constructions which are one size fits all.

For those surfers who do not like EPS, I think there’s a lot of potential breakthrough for the XTR PC. Like anything else though, it will just take a little bit of marketing, cost reductions, and open mindedness from the surfing community!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Look at us working things out online. Rare nowadays. In person im sure we'd have a laugh about it haha
Jeez. get a room you two.

On the XTR parallel carbon, I agree the concept makes sense to me. However, the band of lines distort the look of the outline visually (maybe not as bad on colored boards). Surfers are vain. I honestly don't think they will overcome that and be able to market it to a wider audience beyond a niche. I bet they will be pushing the SL-C more going forward. It also surfs great.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Ok trying to start an argument online, sure this will make both of us feel great. Never did i claim i understood the word density. Like a lot of highschool science, math, knowledge in general, if you dont use it, you lose it. My statement was subjective with what i felt and prefer and was simply asking of others the same. But since you were triggered, i looked into the statement and it seems your right, if thats what you wanted to hear. By looking at a swaylocks bouancy thread, it gets complex though. There seems to be a variety of variables too how a board floats and once you catch a wave planning. This all leads to to a subjective feel of surfing and how two boards of the same density can feel different. I stick by my statement as someone who admittidly knows nothing about board building that it is still interesting that it felt bouyant. And like i said, maybe it was i just ordered too thick. I prefaced my comments saying that i dont know about board building and was simply talking about a subjective opinion and still get attacked. Im glad i suck at this, dont want to be good at online forum arguments. congrats on being good at this bud. moving on
What you said equated to being surprised when you see a rock sink in water. Buoyancy is easy to understand at a superficial level (rock in water). The science of it is not that easy, so you have a point there.

Still, when someone says something that outrageously ignorant, it better get called out.

Oct 1, 2015
What you said equated to being surprised when you see a rock sink in water. Buoyancy is easy to understand at a superficial level (rock in water). The science of it is not that easy, so you have a point there.

Still, when someone says something that outrageously ignorant, it better get called out.
Yea i guess you could take a snippet and call it ignorant but when applied to the context of the entire conversation, it'

Fair. You could take a snippet of what I said and call it out politely. And I admit it did come off ignorant (although a slightly higher density foam doesn't=a rock). But calling someone outrageously ignorant for what they FEEL riding a surfboard (which is what the context was), don't quite agree.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Jeez. get a room you two.

On the XTR parallel carbon, I agree the concept makes sense to me. However, the band of lines distort the look of the outline visually (maybe not as bad on colored boards). Surfers are vain. I honestly don't think they will overcome that and be able to market it to a wider audience beyond a niche. I bet they will be pushing the SL-C more going forward. It also surfs great.
To me straight the straight lines look like almost no creativity or thought went into it, like it it was the caveman baseline and should got left in prehistoric carbon wrap history. That being said, even though I don't like the looks either probably goes insane. kind of like the butterface theory.

Reactions: oeste858

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I didn't know there was a physics police on the design forUm. :unsure:
It's probably needed. The Trump-Conway School of Alternative Physics would have us floating on rocks (You can do so, in a pool of mercury). Or the Millenial School of Stupid would draw into question the existence of anything outside the screen of their phone.

Last edited:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
After some more experimentation my new personal rankings:

Tier 1:
XTR
Varial Infused

Tier 1a:
Stretch CFT
Lost C4 (idk why this never caught on)
Varial glassed by someone else

Tier 2
CI Spinetek
Lost Lightspeed
Firewire Helium

it's all personal preference, but for me the tier 2 constructions have just gone too light. they’re great if it’s knee to shoulder high and glassy, and you also drop your default volume down a notch because they’re so buoyan.

ive never tried stretch’s dft construction but the idea seems to make a lot of sense to me. If the rebound or “pop” of a board is too fast, a normal person can’t use it. So if the rebound of eps can be slowed down a touch it you can actually feel it.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Tier 0:

O.G. Surftech

Tier 0.5:
Everything else Surftech has ever done.

Surftech is just better than everything else. Great shapes and unrivaled durability. The first Surftech is the best because they used Divinycell around the core of the board so they were as strong as windsurfers.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

No need to break them down. They managed that swiftly and easily themselves.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

No need to break them down. They managed that swiftly and easily themselves.
Shots fired.

I love you @Northern_Shores but surftech were garbage. Only board I've ever blown fin plugs completely out on a bottom turn was a surgetech Flyer. Inspecting the inside the foam appeared to be of similar color, consistency and structural integrity to the expanding spray foam that comes in a can which is used in construction. Would not bang again.

• Haha
Reactions: racer1 and JDJ

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Shots fired.

I love you @Northern_Shores but surftech were garbage. Only board I've ever blown fin plugs completely out on a bottom turn was a surgetech Flyer. Inspecting the inside the foam appeared to be of similar color, consistency and structural integrity to the expanding spray foam that comes in a can which is used in construction. Would not bang again.
You just got a shitty one. Surftech is the best.

The best.