**BONZER THREAD 2014**

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
FresnoRipper said:
Met my buddy at Cardiff this past weekend for a Sunday morning sesh. Was to be the maiden voyage for the Green Egg. Started the good mojo with a kickass wax job, like a European cobblestone road.

Waves were averaging waist to chest high, with some long lulls. Things I expected about this board were that it would paddle like a dream and get me in early and it did not disappoint. I've never had a board at this length so I was uncertain as to how it would perform. First wave was a mediocre left and my mind was blown. The Egg was so maneuverable and loose. I couldn't even believe it. I don't know how to describe it otherwise but it was an amazing feeling. Then I caught a beautiful lined up right. It allowed to me to pick my line, draw it and do a couple turns. Little top turn, weekend warrior cutback. Felt sofa king amazing. Really really happy so far. Can't wait for a mondo SW swell.

Anyway, that is my semi-worthless little review. If I would change anything, I probably could have gone thinner than 2 5\8" but i think as I age it will suit me just fine. Hahaha
Yew!! :jam_on:

fonker

Michael Peterson status
Apr 18, 2006
HB
Sick one Fresno! Those eggs look amazing. I was camping there this weekend wish I knew you were there

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
Yeah buddy, woulda been a good time. Sometime we gotta split a peak.

Be safe brother.

surf cat

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jan 14, 2002
:shrug: The new big bad Ad august issue of SURFER has a 6 page feature ( 10 pages if you count the Ads)
on 8 women who surf Ocean Beach ,San Francisco
One Lady ~ Monique Kitamura is pictured with beautiful Campbell Brothers 5ive fin Bonzer....
glassed at Moonlight , of course

page 86 :wave2:

( don't miss the Danny Hess quad on page 79)

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
echobch said:
Fresno what size fin are you using ?
Thanks SantaCruzin, really fired up about this one.

I'm using a 6.5" True Ames fin, I'll give that a whirl for a bit and then try the 7" to see how they feel different and go from there.

Hope you guys get some of this new bump

:cheers:

fonker

Michael Peterson status
Apr 18, 2006
HB
FresnoRipper said:
Yeah buddy, woulda been a good time. Sometime we gotta split a peak.

Be safe brother.
That would be great :cheers:
I'm back in action for a few weeks after breaking the chit out of my arm snowboarding. I could see a board like this in my future. What was the turn-around time? Looks like you're pretty on board the bonzer train these days!

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
Yeah buddy! It was actually pretty quick, all things considered, and fair price. Malcolm is a great guy, very humble and grounded.

I'm really enjoying the Bonzer program at the moment, but at the same time, my Hoyte Twinzer's are also amazing. So many good options out there

JaM71

OTF status
Jul 12, 2013
GC, Australia
I finally picked up a 5'6 MBLV off the rack a couple of months back, I had been looking at them online for so long but had not seen one in the racks. I had numerous conversations with Bman so had a fair idea of what I was getting into.

I thought it would be fun in our winter swells which are generally small clean stuff, what I forgot is that the swell can often be pretty weak as the south swells roll past/parallel to my neck of the woods. However, I did get some really fun ones at Kirra so I figured it would be a good point board.

Now we re into spring, the swell is more from the north generated by onshore winds but early in the morning the conditions are clean. Still small, waist to chest high but cleanish, peaky & hitting the banks on the open beachies at a different angle. So a couple of weeks ago I pulled out the MBLV & gave it a whirl..... so much fun, I vê barely stopped riding it since!

Bman described it as a mini midlength & I can see that. It has various sweet spots, can get in early, turn off the tail or trim, plus it makes section after section like a board with a longer rail line. I found that in the smaller conditions if I aim for the
steepest wave, pop up & "spring" into a high line the little thing will rocket through sections & turns. The speed is built in & even if the wave goes fat/mushy the high line speed will carry me through to the next section or I can cut back into the pocket, trim & wait for the inside section to form.

Crazy fun little board & some of the speed runs in little waves felt insane, just wanted to share my stoke

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
JaM71 said:
I finally picked up a 5'6 MBLV off the rack a couple of months back, I had been looking at them online for so long but had not seen one in the racks. I had numerous conversations with Bman so had a fair idea of what I was getting into.

I thought it would be fun in our winter swells which are generally small clean stuff, what I forgot is that the swell can often be pretty weak as the south swells roll past/parallel to my neck of the woods. However, I did get some really fun ones at Kirra so I figured it would be a good point board.

Now we re into spring, the swell is more from the north generated by onshore winds but early in the morning the conditions are clean. Still small, waist to chest high but cleanish, peaky & hitting the banks on the open beachies at a different angle. So a couple of weeks ago I pulled out the MBLV & gave it a whirl..... so much fun, I vê barely stopped riding it since!

Bman described it as a mini midlength & I can see that. It has various sweet spots, can get in early, turn off the tail or trim, plus it makes section after section like a board with a longer rail line. I found that in the smaller conditions if I aim for the
steepest wave, pop up & "spring" into a high line the little thing will rocket through sections & turns. The speed is built in & even if the wave goes fat/mushy the high line speed will carry me through to the next section or I can cut back into the pocket, trim & wait for the inside section to form.

Crazy fun little board & some of the speed runs in little waves felt insane, just wanted to share my stock.
Fixed it for ya!

Jan 8, 2016
Picked up a 5'6 MBLV used up here a few months back. Haven't had it out in the right conditions to totally get a good feel for it but the handful of decent waves I've had on it have been a blast.

Jan 8, 2016
does anyone have a ride report for a bonzer pod in the 6'4-6'8 range? i have a gap and i'm thinking that a pod could be a great option for multipurpose step-up or a russ short in the same range. like the idea of the pod because of the increased foam.

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
Curious to know how you settled on the Pod. I have a 6'6" Egg and I love it. I had a 5'10" Pod, great board, but I think at the bigger lengths the Egg just looks better to the eye. Plenty of foam with both models. Good luck though. Can't miss with either.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
noparking said:
does anyone have a ride report for a bonzer pod in the 6'4-6'8 range? i have a gap and i'm thinking that a pod could be a great option for multipurpose step-up or a russ short in the same range. like the idea of the pod because of the increased foam.
I picked up a 6'2" Pod and a 6'6" Russ Short last year before a trip to Nicaragua. I felt myself gravitating towards the Pod more and more by the end of the trip and when I got back to CA. I felt like I could push the Pod in the conditions I actually got the Russ Short for (i.e., bigger and punchier) and it also did very well in everyday conditions. A good all around board. I rode the Pod on a couple 2-3' overhead days and it went really well, even with the flatter rocker and wider tail. It is very lively--tight turns with lots of speed and projection. I use a 6.5" True Ames hexcore bonzer fin in it. The Russ Short felt a little clunky in comparison, but that was probably more due to its size. Would like to try a Russ Short someday that's a little smaller. I eventually sold the Russ Short and kept the Pod and still love it. It really goes in a variety of conditions. For reference, I'm 5'8" x 175lbs and the board is 6'2"x20"x2.5".

My apologies to HavocZenNbabes for the proper grammar and spelling. Maybe sumwun can tranzleight fer hem.