**BONZER THREAD 2014**

caramel_Sea

Michael Peterson status
May 29, 2008
www.flickr.com
I always thought the Campbell pod looked like the CI MSF. Thanks for the info. I had an MSF that JJR converted to 5 fin bonzer. It worked better than as a single. Good looking photo.

JaM71

OTF status
Jul 12, 2013
GC, Australia
I have a 6" pod which I picked up second hand, it has a lot of foam far more than I would've ordered. However, it works in a wide range of conditions, can handle a drop, & absolutely flies through steep sections. For me, it's one of those boards that u can't have a bad session on. I have better options for sluggish waves but if it's crowded or there is a bit of water moving, my pod helps me out, I can catch heaps of waves on it.

Also, if I haven't surfed much or am feeling lazy, I grab the pod, the best way to get back in rhythm is to catch lots of waves right? I find it an easy board to ride, it doesn't require that much rider input & has plenty of speed built in, for me the steeper the wave, the better.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
JaM71 said:
I have a 6" pod which I picked up second hand, it has a lot of foam far more than I would've ordered. However, it works in a wide range of conditions, can handle a drop, & absolutely flies through steep sections. For me, it's one of those boards that u can't have a bad session on. I have better options for sluggish waves but if it's crowded or there is a bit of water moving, my pod helps me out, I can catch heaps of waves on it.

Also, if I haven't surfed much or am feeling lazy, I grab the pod, the best way to get back in rhythm is to catch lots of waves right? I find it an easy board to ride, it doesn't require that much rider input & has plenty of speed built in, for me the steeper the wave, the better.
you have too many unreal boards, mate. You better pass her on to me :grin:

JaM71

OTF status
Jul 12, 2013
GC, Australia
Bman76 said:
JaM71 said:

you have too many unreal boards, mate. You better pass her on to me :grin:
I ve heard the pod is a good puddle jumper replacement :applause2:

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
OTdos said:
The original Pod. 6'7" X 21". Malcolm and I worked off a CI Machado Single Fin (1st generation) that I loved. But of course this board rode light years better w/ 5 fins and magic Campbell mojo built in. Quite a number of years ago. Time flies! :wave2:

That is a great photo. Thanks for posting up

kingoftheapes

Nep status
Aug 11, 2011
South Bay
I own or have owned many Campbell brothers bonzers now including MBLV, Octafish, Alpha Omega, Mini merk, MGBT, Egg, as well as some FCD Bonzers.

Favorites so far are the Campbell brothers Octafish and the FCD Fark Bonzer and a Bonzer egg.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
dammit - im drafting an email enquiry for ordering a bonzer, let me ask you guys first - been riding fish lately - never rode a bonzer, want a short, wide, forgiving step up from my fish (don't want an hpsb), would you guide me to the mblv (which I really like the looks of), octa, or bumblebee?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Octa - fish that carves
Bumble - retro carver
MBLV - cruisey carver
Mini Merk - Stubby carver

I would go with the mini merk

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
would like it wide, around 21.5, short, 5'8-6', open to 6'2, 6'4ish,

would like it for all kinds of waves, but can handle 4-6ft hollow beach break

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
A Pod with the right dims for you will be more versatile. Although, I pushed my old MBLV in some more critical surf and it handled really well. Get a Pod around 5'11-6' and a 5'8-5'9" MBLV and you have a great quiver.

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
sushipop said:
A Pod with the right dims for you will be more versatile. Although, I pushed my old MBLV in some more critical surf and it handled really well. Get a Pod around 5'11-6' and a 5'8-5'9" MBLV and you have a great quiver.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/spo/5786840945.html

oakfoils

Nep status
Oct 2, 2004
Malcom laying the first gen Bonzers on the rail. :jam_on:
[img:center]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j394/oakfoils/erbb%20shots/1973%20BING%20BONZER%20AD_1.jpg[/img]

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
I don't know what waves you surf, but I think a Pod or a mini Egg could be a really good choice for you.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
FresnoRipper said:
I don't know what waves you surf, but I think a Pod or a mini Egg could be a really good choice for you.
yeah, I think those would be a great choice, mblv if I want a real short one.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
i'd be wary of riding the mlv in larger waves. If they have a flatter face, no worries, but head high and pitching, it can get a little sketchy. That said - it is by far my favourite bonzer.