**BONZER THREAD 2014**

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Tell us more about the little fatty w/ the boomerang fin. /lickyface/
Geoff McCoy is smiling at Sharky from his resting place.
I assume that is a locally made fin but here's the ones in Oz.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Geoff McCoy is smiling at Sharky from his resting place.
I assume that is a locally made fin but here's the ones in Oz.
I milled it for myself. Malcolm allows me some leeway re what I want to do. The file is a slightly off-menu thing that I think was called the MGB GT. As I remember, I widened up the tail even more. I don't remember the dims, but I'm pretty sure it's about 6'1". Fat X Thick. I'll check. The fin, my partner picked that up in Oz.
I talked him out of it. The board gained drive and is very loose. And it holds. I'm intrigued by the fin. The fin position was a guess, but it seems to work. I can't make the board work backside, (but I can cut it back fine on my forehand) I believe it's me. I spent a lot of time riding very small boards with narrow noses. Paddling into weak waves backside, I have a tendency to move my weight forward and give it a few jinks to get some speed. I believe I am doing that on this board, just straight muscle memory, and the nose gets in my way. I think on a little faster wave, my weight would move back further over the tail and the problem would dissipate. Pilot error. Need more time on it. Frontside it's really fun though.

Last edited:

sushipop

Miki Dora status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Tail pad or no? Picked up a used MBLV and debating. Leash string hole is through the box which always fucks with me because heaven forbid I end up on a sad pad thread. What say you erBB bonzer sages?
1720291834936.jpeg
or

1720291853767.jpeg
or possibly fill in gap with a piece of front traction?
1720291898818.jpeg
yes, flat pad for life bitches. Pad and leash from Colby+. Leash feels solid and well built. Pad feels great for $25
edit:
pad in relation to fins. Bonzer fin cluster does want a more forward rear foot placement.
1720292059981.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bman76

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
ran a similar bonzer with no pad and found that I was grinding my back foot in there pretty good so I padded it. I think a lot of folks will say no but just do you. I would probably pad that thing.

sushipop

Miki Dora status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
ran a similar bonzer with no pad and found that I was grinding my back foot in there pretty good so I padded it. I think a lot of folks will say no but just do you. I would probably pad that thing.
That’s what I’m leaning towards. kinda worried about setting it with the leash hole between the pad tho. Think the leash and string will chew up the pad?

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
What size is the board? I had a 5'6 - no tail pad. It was a super versatile board. Wished i'd never sold it.

Pescado713

Gerry Lopez status
May 2, 2019
Big Beach
Tail pad or no? Picked up a used MBLV and debating. Leash string hole is through the box which always fucks with me because heaven forbid I end up on a sad pad thread. What say you erBB bonzer sages?
View attachment 184849
or

View attachment 184850
or possibly fill in gap with a piece of front traction?
View attachment 184851
yes, flat pad for life bitches. Pad and leash from Colby+. Leash feels solid and well built. Pad feels great for $25
edit:
pad in relation to fins. Bonzer fin cluster does want a more forward rear foot placement.
View attachment 184852
padless, i've got two bonzers right now and prefer them both w/o pad...the reason being is a pad feels confining to my foot placement given the variety of waves they're ridden in and the size of the boards one is an eggy 6'10" the other a mid-length 7'0 Russ Short diamond tail...

sushipop

Miki Dora status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
What size is the board? I had a 5'6 - no tail pad. It was a super versatile board. Wished i'd never sold it.
5’9”
padless, i've got two bonzers right now and prefer them both w/o pad...the reason being is a pad feels confining to my foot placement given the variety of waves they're ridden in and the size of the boards one is an eggy 6'10" the other a mid-length 7'0 Russ Short diamond tail...
I tend to like pads on shorter boards but also wouldn’t put a pad on a bonzer over 6’6”.

motosurf

Nep status
Nov 19, 2008