**BONZER THREAD 2014**

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Kingston said:
njsurfer42 said:
Kingston said:
He weighs 185-190 and if floats him well. He could have gone 2" shorter for sure.

The wide tail takes some getting used to. You can really feel those deep double concaves when you turn and drive down the line.
it's basically a bonzer simmons, right? i love my bing puck, but bonzer version just speaks to me...& a much more seamless transition board to board.
It is a bonzer simmons. The bonzer fin setup is easier to transition to than a straight twin fin. You can feel the pivot off those deep double concaves.

I don't think this would replace a bing puck. it's different but good.
interesting. i'm very intrigued by this design.

Dudebro

Nep status
Jul 17, 2007
Oceanside
Got a new 5"5" x 21 1/2" x 2 5/8" Hanel Bozer Pill.

Think it will smooth out some aspects of my surfing if I spend some time on it. Glad I got a short and stubby Bonzer first because it is something I am real familiar with. Ordered this one the same dimensions as my quad Pill so all I would have to figure out is how to ride a bonzer. Rode it twice so far and am really liking it.

Know the die hard Bonzer fans will not like the pad but I like having it. Just had to use a stick on leash plug instead of the leash string through the fin box. It so small it's not like my feet are going to be moving around too much anyways.

Dudebro

Nep status
Jul 17, 2007
Oceanside
I'm 5'10" and 175 pounds. Could and have gone smaller on other short stubby boards but once I go to small they start go straight and sideways at the same time. Guess it is rider preference but typically for these kind of boards 5'4" to 5'6" works well for me. This board in no way is hard to paddle or surf because of there is a lot of foam in the middle for paddle power but the rails are thinned out. If you held this board you would not think it is 2 5/8".

Had one of the first Pills made, would see Gary around and we would talk about the board. He continually told me he liked his Bonzer version and thought it was better then the quad. Curiosity got the better of me and I had him make me one so this is it.

Glad I am not the only who likes pads on their Bonzers.

Dudebro

Nep status
Jul 17, 2007
Oceanside
Well it is still kind of early to give any solid review. Have been surfing and getting good waves for the conditions, just not too much on this board. Have been surfing one of my super grovel boards mostly.

Have to put a disclaimer in here because I do not normally ride Bonzers or single fins and they need to be surfed differently when compared to the quads I normally ride. Many issues I have are user error at this point so will leave those out. Can ride anything though and the more I ride this board the better it will be.

I'll start with the bad.

Do not like surfing this board when it is small and gutless on the takeoff. Were I surf there are many waves that start off slow but if you can get an initial burst of speed you can get long rides that get steeper and can actually do turns on. Key is getting up to speed quickly. In these conditions I cannot get up to speed quick enough and get left behind. The wave can be small and steep and I do not have this issue.

The good.

Have got one really good session on this board where I could see the magic, or at least why people like these Bonzers. Waves were waist to slightly overhead with good shape although a little close period. In these conditions the board would get up and go quickly, turns were fluid and it was easy to surf. What else can you say and what else could you want? The set waves was when I really like it the most. That big fin in the back is really stable on late drops and in the white wash after a re-entry or wrap around cutback. Plus it does not seem to track up the face as easily as a quad.

One other thing I noticed which only has to do with this being a 5 fin Bonzer instead of a 3 fin Bonzer. A looong time ago I had a three fin bumble bee and that thing always slid or skipped a little when taking off on steep waves. The five fin does not seem to do that. Has anyone else had this feeling?

Is it better than the quad version? Think that depends on the riders preference but for me the quad is probably a more of an all around board at this point. My mind may change as this is still a new board to me and I have some kinks that need to be worked out when it comes to riding a Bonzer.

caramel_Sea

Michael Peterson status
May 29, 2008
www.flickr.com
I like the back of the bonzer rears 11"-11 1/8" up on 5'9"-6'0" lengths. And 1 3/8" in from the rail. 3/16" toe in. The front of the center fin 1/4" overlapping the back of the rear runners. This is Pavel's placement. Really, really nice. Brings the front of the board more in the water than the Campbell Bros. placement, lets you ride more of the board and not only the fins. For all you builders out there.

h8scoldh20

Michael Peterson status
Dec 30, 2010
Bay Area
GWS said:
OK, I know it's tired, (like me) but 50 year old man funboard Bonzer snap.

[img:center]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/i-shapes/GWS_2.gif[/img]

Chuck and Brock were stocked.

:dancing:
:jam_on: