**BONZER THREAD 2014**

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Kingston said:
njsurfer42 said:
tried the 7" fin yesterday morning...went pretty good. right up until i dinged my board. again. :tomato: :drowning:

1 session & it's back to the ding guy. octafish would've been the perfect board for this morning's session, too.
That sucks. You need a eps/epoxy one to resist the dents and dings.

I rode mine again with the 6.5 and it was sweet.
moonlight glassed & holding up against my hammer feet shockingly well...gave her an oil change when she came back from the ding guy last week & the deck looks better at a year + than many other boards i've had looked after a month.

never got the feel for eps boards...i tried. they just feel unpleasantly weird under foot.

edit: that mini-merk is sick! :jam_on: how are you liking her compared to the octa?

kingoftheapes

Nep status
Aug 11, 2011
South Bay
Right now I think the octafish is a better board for most average so cal days.

I have to admit I'm still getting used to the mini merk since I ride the other bonzers so much. I haven't ridden it enough to really say at this point.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Taylor Knox on the first 5Fin Bonzer we made for him. circa 1999 Rocky Rights-Rocky Lefts :rockin:

Fredtool

Nep status
Jan 31, 2014
Florida
This is Just some thinking out loud so to speak.
Spent some time going over the Coil review thread. I have a lot of respect for what they are doing. I also love how a Bonzer feels under my feet. like I said I'm thinking out loud Does anyone else see the benefits of a Coil/Bonzer combo?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Fredtool said:
This is Just some thinking out loud so to speak.
Spent some time going over the Coil review thread. I have a lot of respect for what they are doing. I also love how a Bonzer feels under my feet. like I said I'm thinking out loud Does anyone else see the benefits of a Coil/Bonzer combo?
I believe its been done with stretch and the guy who glasses for Hoyte in eps/epoxy already so its most likely possible :cheers:

Fredtool

Nep status
Jan 31, 2014
Florida
Coils have a very different skin and technology then the standard Epoxy eps foam.. Something that they have developed on their own. FCD a few years back did some Bonzers. I think they were shaped by one of Campbell Brothers? I'm sure you could still get a custom from FCD Bonzer. I believe that they have files on must of their boards and have them machined.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Fredtool said:
Coils have a very different skin and technology then the standard Epoxy eps foam.. Something that they have developed on their own. FCD a few years back did some Bonzers. I think they were shaped by one of Campbell Brothers? I'm sure you could still get a custom from FCD Bonzer. I believe that they have files on must of their boards and have them machined.
the ones I was talking about were shaped by mc (real bonzers) in eps and then glassed by other shops with epoxy. If it was me I would see if you could get coil to send foam to mc for shaping and then have mc send it off to coil for glass :wave2:

walrus

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 1, 2007
NJ
Row jimmy........Malcom did a styrofoam blank. For me in 1999, it was laminated by Clyde Beatty in epoxy. Thing went great! Kept it for a long time, finally did a quiver reduction. The guy that bought it rode it twice an snapped it! Didn't even have a ding, damn!

Had a couple of FCD bonzers, the best travel boards I ever owned, strong, light and went like lightening!

Now, I get my bonzers from Brian Wynn, works of art, bamboo fins, great color and durable! I gave up on getting boards from the left coast....too $$$, too much ego and hassle to deal with

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
rowjimmytour said:
Bonzer5Fin said:
I'm still threatening to take a shaped EPS blank to Stretch and get all of the whistles and bells.

:rockin:
I thought you already did this but now that I think about this you got a eps/epoxy shaped from mc and glassed at Hoyte right?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/109651791" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/109651791">Bonzers</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/mollusksurfshop">Mollusk Surf Shop</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>