Are Sprinter van owners the new Trustafarians?

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
They are dirt road/fire road cruisers at best. Great for stuff like the desert or Baja. The drawback to the Sprinter is its really tall. The popup feature keeps the COG a lot lower. The new fiberglass body also keeps the weight down.
4wd ones are barely good for a smooth fire road. My buddy built a 4x one for a rich guy and was close to $200K. All kinds of AM suspension but the non replaced bits couldn't even handle a Baja Dirt road.

They are more of a "Dick Measuring Deal"

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The Mercedes Unimogs. <iframe width="480" height="270" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Don't be a parasite. Live in your rig like a boss. Leave a clean footprint. Don't be a begger. You litter, you suck.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
Living near Yosemite all of the climbing trusties have nutso Sprinter rigs. If you see a Sprinter with a bunch of hot chicks around it you might be near Alex Honnold or some other climbing superstar. The really rich ones have Westfalia Syncros with the crazy engine swaps. They're like surfing rich kids but more polite & conscientious, which somehow makes them more infuriating and clueless seeming.

My last trip to Baja a month ago there were lots of Europeans and Canadians. AWD GMC Safaris seemed a popular choice, and I saw some great Unimogs as well as these crazy Italian rigs called IVECO. They look pretty sweet but what about parts? Like what, you gonna call Ferrucio Lamborghini from Guerrero Negro? Some sweet Mitsubishi Delicas too. I'm still pretty happy with the 92 Toyota 4x4 22re though.

• Haha
Reactions: maybe

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Yes, he lives in the bush yet has a YouTube page. :unsure:
I love the fact that he had time to set up his camera to film himself
emptying out his burning rig....

SOCIAL MEDIA PRIORITIES

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The transits are ok. They seem cheaply built. And the door track on the outside of the body starts to rust and also looks dumb.

the height on medium roof and high roof vans are terrifying to drive in high winds. not even joking. It catches gusts and moves the entire car. Scary stuff if it’s windy and you’re going 75

Reactions: LifeOnMars

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Yes, mid-height/mid-length Transits are the van of the proletariate (especially if you DIY the build-out). Mine was new and I spent $37,000 total. The honeycomb aluminum panels for the bed were a big expense but are so much thinner than a normal bed frame that I could get away with the medium instead of high roof.
20190922_165035.jpg
20190922_165651.jpg

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Just do a simple 3/4" Plywood platform. Strong enough to sleep on without a bunch of support and can stow stuff below. Easy peasy
The width of a van is the same as a king size bed. One person could sleep on 3/4 or 1" plywood and it would eventually sag. Two people "sleeping" will cause sagging and cracking quickly. You need to build a frame under it from 2×4s or aluminum and will end up with a bed frame at least 4" thick. I asked my friend who owns Freedom Vans all about this when doing my own build and came up with the 1" honeycomb panel idea for thinness with strength and stiffness.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
The width of a van is the same as a king size bed. One person could sleep on 3/4 or 1" plywood and it would eventually sag. Two people "sleeping" will cause sagging and cracking quickly. You need to build a frame under it from 2×4s or aluminum and will end up with a bed frame at least 4" thick. I asked my friend who owns Freedom Vans all about this when doing my own build and came up with the 1" honeycomb panel idea for thinness with strength and stiffness.
OP has a Tundra and my message was based on that. Have had JUST plywood in my Tundra and my Tacoma currently. Sag is minimal and have had lots of weight on the platform. Suits me and keeps the storage free and easy below.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
OP has a Tundra and my message was based on that. Have had JUST plywood in my Tundra and my Tacoma currently. Sag is minimal and have had lots of weight on the platform. Suits me and keeps the storage free and easy below.
Ah, yes, width is the critical thing here. Adding a few inches greatly increases the stiffness requirement. I was hoping to use 1" marine plywood in my van until the reality of this set in.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja