Are Sprinter van owners the new Trustafarians?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Had a tundra w rtt as our beach/camper extra vehicle. W 2 kids, it was pita to setup and breakdown every night. Also did a hardshell camper but wife didn't like the kids sleeping in camper w us in the truck shell.
http://instagr.am/p/BINblMgjf-m/
Have a transit now. Bought a new cargo for $32k and built it out: fridge, solar, roof fan, stove/oven, sink, telescoping queen bed in the back, front swivels, bed up front for the groms/dogs. We needed a hard camper for bear country. Been to outer Banks, up to Niagara and back 2 summers ago. Last summer did Alaska and back. Wanted a Ford in case anything went wrong. Ford dealership in most areas. Also couldn't afford a sprinter. Have the ecoboost and while it has plenty of power, we probably averaged 15 mpg. Added 2" lift, upgraded shocks/struts, bigger tires, lsd. The stock clearance is abysmal. Scraped shock mounts just parking at mtb trailheads. We can stand in it (med roof).
http://instagr.am/p/By51g_3Bzwg/ Would like a Tacoma w at overland habitat when the Grom starts driving. Van is too big for a new driver.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Couldn't justify the expense of a sprinter and I already had the Tundra so I went with a four wheel camper Hawk. Did pretty well In baja this winter. I think a sprinter van would be nicer to hang out in, having a little more room. Compared to sleeping in a truck canopy or tent for a month this was quite deluxe though. Being able to cook inside, wash dishes in a sink and take a hot shower occasionally really makes a difference when you are camped out in the desert for weeks at a time. Need to do some further mods to the truck suspension and get one more solar panel to keep the batteries topped up during the winter when the sun angle is low.20191204_091106.jpg

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Ursa Minor builds a really cool pop up camper for the Jeep Wrangler. It basically replaces the roof of your JK/JL. When its set up there is a hatch that opens up inside into the interior of your Jeep. Still keeps the roofline of the vehicle, does not look like a big, bulky RTT on top.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Was thinking about doing this exact same deal. Some of these new camper trailers can track/take obstacles like a 4X4. Small, compact trailer. One of my friends has already built one. You have to plan your routes out. No rock crawling. Tow a little studly trailer into a camp site. Base Camp. Set up and go out from there.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Was thinking about doing this exact same deal. Some of these new camper trailers can track/take obstacles like a 4X4. Small, compact trailer. One of my friends has already built one. You have to plan your routes out. No rock crawling. Tow a little studly trailer into a camp site. Base Camp. Set up and go out from there.
My Buddy owns a Fleet of these Teardrops and they are capable little trailers. Although we did manage to fuck up an early model in Baja LOL. Prob mobbed a bit too hard

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Couldn't justify the expense of a sprinter and I already had the Tundra so I went with a four wheel camper Hawk. Did pretty well In baja this winter. I think a sprinter van would be nicer to hang out in, having a little more room. Compared to sleeping in a truck canopy or tent for a month this was quite deluxe though. Being able to cook inside, wash dishes in a sink and take a hot shower occasionally really makes a difference when you are camped out in the desert for weeks at a time. Need to do some further mods to the truck suspension and get one more solar panel to keep the batteries topped up during the winter when the sun angle is low.View attachment 87483
I like that rig Aruka. I;ve wanted one for my truck but don't have a place to put it when I'm not using it.

Reactions: Aruka

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Had a tundra w rtt as our beach/camper extra vehicle. W 2 kids, it was pita to setup and breakdown every night. Also did a hardshell camper but wife didn't like the kids sleeping in camper w us in the truck shell.
http://instagr.am/p/BINblMgjf-m/
Have a transit now. Bought a new cargo for $32k and built it out: fridge, solar, roof fan, stove/oven, sink, telescoping queen bed in the back, front swivels, bed up front for the groms/dogs. We needed a hard camper for bear country. Been to outer Banks, up to Niagara and back 2 summers ago. Last summer did Alaska and back. Wanted a Ford in case anything went wrong. Ford dealership in most areas. Also couldn't afford a sprinter. Have the ecoboost and while it has plenty of power, we probably averaged 15 mpg. Added 2" lift, upgraded shocks/struts, bigger tires, lsd. The stock clearance is abysmal. Scraped shock mounts just parking at mtb trailheads. We can stand in it (med roof).
http://instagr.am/p/By51g_3Bzwg/ Would like a Tacoma w at overland habitat when the Grom starts driving. Van is too big for a new driver.
Love the trips you do with the fam ghostshaper

Reactions: ghostshaper

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I like that rig Aruka. I;ve wanted one for my truck but don't have a place to put it when I'm not using it.
Yeah it's taking up a lot of space in my shop right now which kind of sucks but I'll probably move it outside for the summer. Actually the plan was to put it back on the truck for the summer and buy a little commuter car for daily duties so the camper would be ready to go for weekend trips. We'll see though I haven't been able to decide what kind of car to get.

ShiverMeTimbers

Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
We picked up an Aliner Expedition last summer. Love it so far. The heater cranks the BTUs, the hard sides do well in the rain, and its tall enough that I can stand in it no problem. We store it in the garage and it folds down so less wind resistance when towing. Not made for heavy off-roading but it can handle fire roads etc.