Are Sprinter van owners the new Trustafarians?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Sprinters seem to be the vehicle of choice to fit a few 12' SUPs inside and still have plenty of headspace below the rack, and room to fit other stuff (shortboards, cycles, Rinsekit, conversion bed) without compromising safe seating space for a handful of passengers.

Reactions: CraneBarge

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I drive a sprinter. I'm no trust fund guy. I bought my van new in 2016 for $34k. Sticker price said 45k, you gotta haggle the sh!t out of the sales people. It's nice and has a bunch of bells and whistles, say 6k worth of add on's and crap. That's less a new pickup truck with a hell of a lot more room. Yeah, I get it, the vans reek of trustifarians and yeah lots of dudes diving them are probably lame. But, the vans are so useful and mine makes sense for my family. I also get 24 mpg (4cyl 2.0 liter diesel) way better than my Tacoma ever did.

Belch out
My Tacoma gets such crap MPG

Reactions: SDsurf and Bkucera

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
No doubt would be a cool rig for long trips. If I had the cash I think I’d prefer a 4x4 one over a trailer or slide in camper.

I’ve always done the cap on the back of my trucks, unroll one of those extra large inflatable bed rolls and it’a an awesome covert camper.

a few past set ups.
View attachment 87339

View attachment 87340

View attachment 87341

Now on to this. Not sure yet how to set up the back; always have tons of ideas but usually end up keeping it simple.
View attachment 87342
Just do a simple 3/4" Plywood platform. Strong enough to sleep on without a bunch of support and can stow stuff below. Easy peasy

Reactions: manbearpig

CJSB

Nep status
Apr 8, 2009
Santa Barbara
I have two close friends with them. Both are extremely hard working and got them primarily to cart around their kids in comfort. Not a trust in sight.

I think the SoCal stigma of stereotyping people based on their car is hilarious. (except for BMW drivers, there is little question they are the worst drivers on the planet).

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I had an opportunity to buy one on the cheap recently. Low mileage, low price, but not built out. I thought hard about it, but couldn't pull the trigger. Great surfin vehicle, but I don't really need it.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the Ford Transits are so awesome

sometimes I go to the Ford site and do the custom build outs for fun

variable wheel base, variable internal heights, windows/doors/accoutrements
are all configurable.

Reactions: laidback

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
the Ford Transits are so awesome

sometimes I go to the Ford site and do the custom build outs for fun

variable wheel base, variable internal heights, windows/doors/accoutrements
are all configurable.
Have you driven one? Is the diesel any good?

I've driven the Sprinter and was blown away by how car-like it handles as well as the power it produces for a big clumsy box.

I'm sure Ford would be more reliable and cheaper to run but the Merc is holding value like crazy.

BTW you can configure the Merc the same way.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I always chat up the crews around here who drive them and ask about
handling and gas mileage....they all seem to like them.

I have not test-driven one yet.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC

I've driven the Sprinter and was blown away by how car-like it handles as well as the power it produces for a big clumsy box.

I'm sure Ford would be more reliable and cheaper to run but the Merc is holding value like crazy.

I was all set on the diesel but the eco-boost engines are pretty awesome

Reactions: afoaf

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas

I drove a Ram (not for me) and Transient van before I got the MB. The MB def drove nicer than the others. MB was the only van in 2016 that offered a crew van seats 5 (I wasn't interested in the 15 pass van with all the windows). For 2020 Ford came out with a crew van version with all wheel drive that is mighty tempting, priced well below the MB 4x4. Granted its not a "real" 4x4 but is probably passable for San Diego honkeys like myself.
The MB ended up being less $$ than the Ford, so that was another reason to get the sprinter.
I like the idea of having a Ford dealer in every town vs MB.
As far as resale goes, I could prob cash out of my van right now and get more than I paid, which is crazy to me. Not sure I'd get that with the Ford.
No matter the badge on the front of the van, these big vans really are the ticket to fun. Bring all of your crap anywhere, sleep for free and have a good time.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The new Sportsmobiles using the Ford frame with a custom steel reinforced fiberglass body. Looks like an old econoline but a totally custom heavy duty off road chassis and body. Custom Dynatrac pro rock axles, custom transfer case. Can sleep 4. Pretty much the ultimate surf exploration vehicle. Cost though is pushing $200K.

• Wow
Reactions: jkb