Are Sprinter van owners the new Trustafarians?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
The prcetag doesn't stop at the purchase. You'll constantly be fixing stuff... kinda like a boat. My buddy had one for 12 years. Loved it but it wasn't cheap.

I think the new factory non 4wd/awd stuff is fine for most of what everyone needs. I mean you're not going to do any real wheeling on a large 3/4-1 ton chassis anyway.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
They are dirt road/fire road cruisers at best. Great for stuff like the desert or Baja. The drawback to the Sprinter is its really tall. The popup feature keeps the COG a lot lower. The new fiberglass body also keeps the weight down.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Started following this channel on Youtube. Venture4wd. Older trusta with a 4 door jeep JK. No visible means of support. He just drives all over the USA and Canada living in the rooftop tent on his jeep. His parents have to be funding it. As long as his Jeep stays rolling, they don't have to deal with him. He is really clueless. Wandering up in the back woods of NorCal in the Emerald Triangle, "What is this burned up, shot up trailer doing out here in the woods on these backroads???" "Why would anybody bring a trailer like that out here???" It's kind of like watching an accident before it happens...

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Started following this channel on Youtube. Venture4wd. Older trusta with a 4 door jeep JK. No visible means of support. He just drives all over the USA and Canada living in the rooftop tent on his jeep. His parents have to be funding it. As long as his Jeep stays rolling, they don't have to deal with him. He is really clueless. Wandering up in the back woods of NorCal in the Emerald Triangle, "What is this burned up, shot up trailer doing out here in the woods on these backroads???" "Why would anybody bring a trailer like that out here???" It's kind of like watching an accident before it happens...
You sure he's not just pretending to be clueless for the likes?

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
This guy is the exact opposite. Casey from Coyote Works. He is a survivalist.

This has to one of the best videos on Youtube.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: bluemarlin04

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
They are dirt road/fire road cruisers at best. Great for stuff like the desert or Baja. The drawback to the Sprinter is its really tall. The popup feature keeps the COG a lot lower. The new fiberglass body also keeps the weight down.
and then you lift it and put solar panels and other accessories on the roof racks....

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Planning a camping trip right now for the first week of June to spend two or three days in southeastern Oregon. Owyhee river, Three forks. Closest civilization is Rome, OR. A gas pump and a general store.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
You sure he's not just pretending to be clueless for the likes?
This guy follows the sun. Wintertime, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas. A whole culture of van people who migrate to the warmer climes. He talks about how crowded the dispersed camping areas are this time of year. A grub with gas money and daddy's credit card. One step above homeless. Dude has prayer flags in his rooftop tent. "Oh" "This looks like a BLM road on GIA!!!" "I will just drive out into the middle of buttfvck Egypt and see where it goes".

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
The prcetag doesn't stop at the purchase. You'll constantly be fixing stuff... kinda like a boat. My buddy had one for 12 years. Loved it but it wasn't cheap.

I think the new factory non 4wd/awd stuff is fine for most of what everyone needs. I mean you're not going to do any real wheeling on a large 3/4-1 ton chassis anyway.
agreed.

the sportsmobiles are definitely boner material, but in reality it's
overbuilt for anything I'd ever consider using it for...I'd never take
it south of the border.

I like the Ford Transit for the fact that it can be stripped down and
used as a daily driver. I can imagine setting up modular kitchen, storage
and sleeping components that can come in and out as needed.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
When I roll into your campground coming in from the back country. Parking. Seeing all of the empty vehicles. Coyotes running around. Torn rooftop tents, flapping in the wind....Moving on. Looking for survivors...