ANYONE SEEN ANY GOOD MOVIES LATELY ?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
"Dog Eat Dog" by Paul Schrader starring Nic Cage and Willem DeFoe.

It's an ultra-violent crime movie about three guys just released from prison trying to make a final score and then get out. The plot sounds like it's been done a million times and it probably has, but Schrader got final cut and is very proud of it. It kind of reminded me of a Elmore Leonard/Tarantino type of thing.
Paul Schrader is great. I watched The Card Counter recently and it was strange but I really liked it.

May 28, 2022
Paul Schrader is great. I watched The Card Counter recently and it was strange but I really liked it.
Yeah, I loved the Card Counter.

His new one, "Master Gardener" is pretty mellow even though it has a pretty crazy backstory from the main character. He calls it the third movie of a trilogy of "First Reformed", "Card Counter" and "Master Gardener". Def. worth seeing.

Reactions: Aruka

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Just saw”Pixar’s “Soul.” enjoyed it. It was kind of lost because it was released right in the middle of the pandemic.

Anyone see the new Wes Anderson?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The Tetris movie on Apple TV is dank AF. Tells the story of how the game was created and all of the entities who were trying to get rich off of it by getting it out of the Soviet Union. If you owned a Nintendo or Game Boy you will get a kick out of it. So good :beer:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I watched Avatar The Way of The Water a couple days ago. It's as boring and stupid as the first one. As endless too. You've been warned.
The first one sucked so bad bro that by the end I wanted the badass army humans to fuck up those stupid tall skinny Smurf blue hippy tree hugger aliens so bad. I was stocked when they fucked up their stupid cheap fiber optic lamp from Spencer‘s Gifts at the mall looking tree of life or whatever stupid bullshit they names it bro.

And don’t even get me started on their stupid fucking lame ass animal dinosaur hybrid allies.
That planet sucked bro

There’s a whole thread with a bunch of people simping for the sequel smh. Couldn’t pay me to watch it after the first one bro.
Fucking Avatar 2: The Way of Moisture if you asks me bro
1687642483923.jpeg

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Watched Evil Dead Rise last night. It was ok... a fun time. Not sure why I expected more though, Evil Dead was never the kind of movie that drops your jaw, it's just good, vicious bloody fun. It's on HBO Max now so.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Just watched “Tar,” with Cate Blanchette. Although her character is a lesbian, early in the film she voices the most eloquent and brutal takedown of gender/identity politics, at least as it relates to art. Ifall and PCRD would love it.

Cate won the Golden Globe for her performance and l’d bet she’ll win the Oscar.

Not a “feel good” movie though…

If you like classical music you’ll appreciate it.
It's kinda Postmodernist and labyrinthine.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Watching that Arnold documentary made me want to watch T1 and T2 all over again. And I was appalled to learn that my wife never watched (or doesn't remember) True Lies... how can you not have watched True Lies? Might have to take a quick trip to memory lane.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Watching that Arnold documentary made me want to watch T1 and T2 all over again. And I was appalled to learn that my wife never watched (or doesn't remember) True Lies... how can you not have watched True Lies? Might have to take a quick trip to memory lane.

Speaking of True Lies:

Jamie Lee Curtis is amazing in The Bear Season 2.
I had no idea shed be there and she smashed it.

Reactions: Mr Doof and brukuns

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I lasted like 10 mins and had to shut it off.

Took 2 episodes of deadliest catch and a fat glass of scotch undo the emotional trauma of those 10 minutes.
Twas absolute trash. At least you could turn it off. My wife and kids insisted on seeing it in the theater so I guess you had the big screen and 3-D glasses.

But if you spend hundreds of millions of dollars on special effects, why not at least invest a couple million into a decent script? Or is that too complex for Oklahoma/China?

I saw the new Vacation movie pop up on TV, gave it a go, made it 10 minutes. Just wasn't really funny - it tried way too hard.

• Wow
Reactions: Aruka