Album Townsend model

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
This forum is always funny. Seems like this guy has run his business exactly how MANY on here say surfboard businesses should be run - charge a price that allows a living wage/successful business, improve marketing, improve biz operations (includes turnaround time, communication, website etc. I have not ordered an album - but everyone I know who has comments that these things stand out with his co.), have pros ripping on them (I don't think geiselman and kerr are just riding them for the pretty resin tints?), have avg joes digging them. Oh yeah, and several erBBers have said he surfs often/well at his local breaks.

I dunno. Perhaps bitter mayhem should take a few pages out of this guy's book instead of continuing to run a giant shitshow of a custom board operation (going on three decades now!)

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
daave said:
This forum is always funny. Seems like this guy has run his business exactly how MANY on here say surfboard businesses should be run - charge a price that allows a living wage/successful business, improve marketing, improve biz operations (includes turnaround time, communication, website etc. I have not ordered an album - but everyone I know who has comments that these things stand out with his co.), have pros ripping on them (I don't think geiselman and kerr are just riding them for the pretty resin tints?), have avg joes digging them. Oh yeah, and several erBBers have said he surfs often/well at his local breaks.

I dunno. Perhaps bitter mayhem should take a few pages out of this guy's book instead of continuing to run a giant shitshow of a custom board operation (going on three decades now!)
Well said Daave. I don't yet have an opinion on Album boards in a real way but he responded personally to my questions within a few hours of shooting him an email. He's charging a premium price for PU/PE boards but he's got his niche and he's not having boards shaped overseas as far as I know so I can't really find fault.

Mayhem is such a hater it's hilarious.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I
Aruka said:
Pulled the trigger last night after a couple beers.

Twin fin quiver is growing boyz

I’m usually in a surfboard buying mood after a few beers as well!

Ended up ordering another stamps after a pretty boozy evening.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
daave said:

:roflmao:

+1

I always thought Biolas was taking a dig at Burch's asyms because he mentions picklefork noses in his description of the Masym.

Edit: Just re-read the description and he both compliments and takes a dig at Burch, IMO.

The MAYSYM features anatomically corrected tail curves for more control on a high volume, small wave Stub Rocket. Purposely asymmetric boards have been around for decades. The advent, and popularization, is mostly credited to gifted designer, Carl Ekstrom.

The general concept is we all surf with different leverage on our heels, vs our toes. Heel turns are more abrupt, without the ability to “feather” our rail pressure with supple ankles and toes. Contrary to common misconception, Asymmetrical boards are not for “going right or left”, or “backside or frontside” but are designed to work in symmetry with a natural or goofy footed surfer. They’re almost always designed to be more forgiving on the heels (usually done by reducing surface area or shortening rail line) with more resistance on the toes (a wider, straighter, or longer rail and or rocker line).

My first foray into asymmetric designs was in the winter of ‘92. I was influenced by the best snowboard I had ever owned (up to that point) a NITRO “PYRO”(see photo of board), twin tip, asymmetric snowboard. It was the first board I ever rode that I could properly carve a heel edge on. It spurred my interest in the concept, but I only made a couple asym surfboards at the time, and soon lost interest. Around the turn of the century, after reading an asym article in Surfers Journal, in 1999, I re-visited them, making a few HPSBs, for an early Mentawais trip. One of which was easily one of my all-time best boards to that point. Once again, I soon neglected the design. About ten years later, inspired by the resurgence of asym popularity, we made a few for Aaron “Gorkin” Cormican, with winged swallow on the toes and round pin on the heels.

This specific board, the “MAYSYM”, is based around our “V2-StubRocket”, a small wave specific, spin off of the original “Rocket” (which was popular when I started developing this board). I worked on it periodically, for over 5 years, and feel that due to the work of guys like Ekstrom and young Ryan Burch, among others, to popularize asymmetric designs, the time is becoming right to actually offer these designs to the public. For me, asymmetries help most when applied to high volume boards. On a narrow / thin, low volume board, the surfer can easily control the tail on heel or toe edge, thus it’s very rare to see high level surfers using them on high performance short boards (although I believe there is room to develop and improve them in that genre). With wide tails and high volume to body weight ratios on small wave boards, for average surfers, the big tails can easily start to get in the way. Precise surfing can become a casualty to wave catch-ability, and ease of speed generation… especially on heel turns (back side bottom turns or front side pocket turns are most effected), so I began to take surface area out of the heel rail on my wide Rocket tails, turning them into Round tails, and then slowly offsetting the centerline, as well as adding more rail rocker to the wider side of the tail, and other subtle adjustments to try and neutralize the difference between heel and toe body mechanics. The MASYM is the result.

Unlike many asyms floating around today, we reeled in the “shock and awe” effect. These are genial asyms, attempting simply to make riding a really wide short board easier, when transitioning from heel to toe. The fins are set the same. No offset fin marks. No inverted pickle fork noses, and no over the top offset rockers or extreme curves. One of my favorite design ethos is “Don’t get loose until you have control”. I’ll let other vanguard shapers push the limits of balancing visual shock and actual function.

We offer each size in Regular of Goofy footed build. I’ve painstakingly designed each board/size/regular/goofy, and worked closely with AKU Shaper, so each is pre-cut specifically asymmetrically. The tail is already pre-shaped into the blank, before we hand fine tune the single channel, and fine tune the rest of the shape. This gives previously unmatched consistency to the boards, bringing a once rogue and “underground” design to the surf shop customer.

We hope you go out on a limb and try one. You won’t be disappointed.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
The first time I read that description, I definitely took the exclusion of Album to mean that's who his digs are at. Biolos is such a salty dude.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Ltbiggles said:
I
Aruka said:

Best drunken decision a fellow could make:cheers:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
"This forum is always funny. Seems like this guy has run his business exactly how MANY on here say surfboard businesses should be run - charge a price that allows a living wage/successful business, improve marketing, improve biz operations (includes turnaround time, communication, website etc. I have not ordered an album - but everyone I know who has comments that these things stand out with his co.), have pros ripping on them (I don't think geiselman and kerr are just riding them for the pretty resin tints?), have avg joes digging them. Oh yeah, and several erBBers have said he surfs often/well at his local breaks.

I dunno. Perhaps bitter mayhem should take a few pages out of this guy's book instead of continuing to run a giant shitshow of a custom board operation (going on three decades now!)"

Larger #'s put you into the you don't shape them or look at them before delivered .

If the consumer is happy with that then full speed ahead ! :)

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Ltbiggles said:
I
Aruka said:

i don't drink but do late nite boar ordering as well lolz. fugg it life is chort hommies! :cheers:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Greg Griffin said:
"This forum is always funny. Seems like this guy has run his business exactly how MANY on here say surfboard businesses should be run - charge a price that allows a living wage/successful business, improve marketing, improve biz operations (includes turnaround time, communication, website etc. I have not ordered an album - but everyone I know who has comments that these things stand out with his co.), have pros ripping on them (I don't think geiselman and kerr are just riding them for the pretty resin tints?), have avg joes digging them. Oh yeah, and several erBBers have said he surfs often/well at his local breaks.

I dunno. Perhaps bitter mayhem should take a few pages out of this guy's book instead of continuing to run a giant shitshow of a custom board operation (going on three decades now!)"

Larger #'s put you into the you don't shape them or look at them before delivered .

mayhems ghostshapers are incredible. bulkley did my rnf and it was the best of the bunch. widner dude also is tops. dont need my mayhems signed by mayhem 4 dem to b magik lolz.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Greg Griffin said:

Damn, well said. I find myself agreeing with Greg.

Album boards seems like a good outfit. I don't get the hate.

Does Burch and his alternate shapes get a free pass because he rips and Album isn't on his level?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
[/quote]

i don't drink but do late nite boar ordering as well lolz. fugg it life is chort hommies! :cheers:[/quote]

You're a long time dead, and only briefly in your surfing prime. Surf lots; look for magic boards and have fun doing it.

Ifall, tell us more about the Ledge, please. I fondled one in Aus recently, and it was a beauty. Indo spear.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Muscles said:
Greg Griffin said:

Damn, well said. I find myself agreeing with Greg.

Album boards seems like a good outfit. I don't get the hate.

Does Burch and his alternate shapes get a free pass because he rips and Album isn't on his level?
I honestly think that people are turned off by Albums polished marketing and then they make up other excuses not to like him or the boards.

Burch is a little rougher around the edges. And he rips.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
jkb said:
I honestly think that people are turned off by Albums polished marketing and then they make up other excuses not to like him or the boards.

Not sure what everyone else sees. but the only people who ride Albums at my local are complete poser kooks. You know the type. Upper middle class income with dollars to burn so they buy some resin tinted Asym since it looks cool. I guess the "core" guys don't like it. You know, the late 20's to mid 30's guys who paddle out on thrusters and talk about their NSSA days and how they were once sponsored.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Muscles said:
jkb said:

Not sure what everyone else sees. but the only people who ride Albums at my local are complete poser kooks. You know the type. Upper middle class income with dollars to burn so they buy some resin tinted Asym since it looks cool. I guess the "core" guys don't like it. You know, the late 20's to mid 30's guys who paddle out on thrusters and talk about their NSSA days and how they were once sponsored.
I gotta admit, the polished marketing combined with the high price is what has kind of turned me off until this point. I think Album has a little bit of a USA Haydenshralps vibe. Just a little too slick for me. But like I said, if he's building boards here and people are willing to pay the higher price, power to him. If I had a bunch of poser kooks riding Album's at my local I would probably not want to join in but I kinda doubt anyone around here is even aware he exists. All the kooks here are riding Hypto Krypto's now, it's like we are 5 years behind the rest of the world.