Album Townsend model

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
For anyone who has a townsend (or two) Is the Townsend a board that we should ride a little longer? Looking for more of an all around for good to better days, not just a stepup, and trying to decide on a certain length- maybe 7'2? maybe longer?. Does this shape tend to feel smaller in the water? I guess my main questions are should I go longer at stock dims? or would I be better going custom and shorter and wider than stock? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Jul 15, 2008
For anyone who has a townsend (or two) Is the Townsend a board that we should ride a little longer? Looking for more of an all around for good to better days, not just a stepup, and trying to decide on a certain length- maybe 7'2? maybe longer?. Does this shape tend to feel smaller in the water? I guess my main questions are should I go longer at stock dims? or would I be better going custom and shorter and wider than stock? Any thoughts much appreciated.
I think it depends on what you are looking for. As an example, I have a 5´3 Plasmic, 5´5 Twinquish and a 5´7 Twinsman. My Townsend is 6´6. I use it for good waves and as a step-up. I feel that it needs a wave to perform. If it is small, I usually ride my Plasmic.

My Townsend is a touch wider (1/4 of an inch) and thinner than the stock version. I hope this helps.

Reactions: trifish and Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I think it depends on what you are looking for. As an example, I have a 5´3 Plasmic, 5´5 Twinquish and a 5´7 Twinsman. My Townsend is 6´6. I use it for good waves and as a step-up. I feel that it needs a wave to perform. If it is small, I usually ride my Plasmic.

My Townsend is a touch wider (1/4 of an inch) and thinner than the stock version. I hope this helps.
did they charge u extra for dims change?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
If your after more overall glide/get in a little early.. than go long. I had a 6'8" and a 6'3". On the 6'3", I was pretty much getting into the wave the same as I would with other step up's (like my 6'3" ghost). It worked well as a step and I got a number of good cover ups on it shooting peaks but still felt like my ghost paddled into waves a bit better at similar dims.

The 6'8" had some cheat factor and would get me in a little early to set a line. The 6'8" had a diamond tail which I liked better than the rounded pin as well. Pivoted quicker, and carried speed better without the pin drag. Worked better in a range of conditions also with the wider tail. Less locked in feeling/more playful. If your only using it bigger days than a pin is probably the call, but everything else I'd rather it be a diamond or squash. In terms of length, I've had a handful of other boards in similar dims and the townsend felt the smallest of the bunch when up and riding. It has good performance for what it is. It isn't a chunky mid, but more like a step up that can still get by on average days. Mine were both XTR, so they might of had a little extra low end spring vs a regular pu.

Reactions: oeste858

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
did they charge u extra for dims change?
No. Not for either of my customs via Varial.

Just ask Matt for recs as needed, ask erBB, ask Buddha, Jah annd your wife for good measure and then go ahead and submit the cart.

after sleeping on it, go ahead and request another dims change via customer support, wait for proof sheet confirming changes.

Dec 15, 2019
Hello
So I have 2 Townsends one Poly from Album 7'2 custom. Love this board! Go to cheater step up. Wanted to get a smaller one 6'9 decided to order from XTR to save $. Didn't really click with it tried selling it but no bites. Surfed it maybe 4 times? Was gonna give it another try next swell. Went to grab it and it has bubble delamination in the tail area and around FS fin box bubbling pretty bad. Been in the garage with all my other boards never had any issues with heat. Pretty bummed. Anyone else had XTR issues like this? I'm mean just been sitting for 5 months or so WTH???? Hard to tell by pic?

Attachments

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Varial is great.
XTR not as great.

if you want a $50 off coupon chat with xtr. If you want to unload it quick igo put it on consignment and write off the loss.

sucks when delam attacks. I had a boar start to delam after a month. traded it on CL being upfront with the recipient. ended up a good candidate for a boar swap. It’s nice when someone isn’t jamming with a boar you want to try so you both are more accepting of flaws.

Apr 25, 2015
I had an XTR delam on me years ago and have been gun shy about getting another ever since. For some reason, I thought that they were offering some sort of guarantee against delams with their new foam, though.

Dec 15, 2019
I cant see anything in the pics. I know its hard to get stuff to show up sometimes. Have you contacted XTR? That would be my first step.

Ya I'll try reaching out to them on Monday. During the order process I never received any responses on just some simple questions. Being so far from CA. A shipment return could be $. I'll reach out and will hope for the best. If nothing else ding repair buddy has some early season business.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka
Dec 15, 2019
Emailed XTR yesterday haven't received a response. Guess I'll give them a few days before I ring them up. Here's maybe some better pics & vid for inquiring minds. Also sent it to them. Just really odd bubbling. Never seen this on a board?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Emailed XTR yesterday haven't received a response. Guess I'll give them a few days before I ring them up. Here's maybe some better pics & vid for inquiring minds. Also sent it to them. Just really odd bubbling. Never seen this on a board?

Yikes, I haven't seen that on any of mine. Hopefully they take care of you.