Album Townsend model

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Let's not act like you have to buy one of Matt's boards with a bunch of resin swirls. A stock clear board runs $750, $55 more than a stock clear Pyzel. That's really not that much of a difference.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
vanrysss said:
Let's not act like you have to buy one of Matt's boards with a bunch of resin swirls. A stock clear board runs $750, $55 more than a stock clear Pyzel. That's really not that much of a difference.
You're not wrong but realistically Pyzel is a more experienced and accomplished shaper so why is Album charging uhh 7% more for a clear board?

I doubt many people are buying clear Album boards anyways but I could be wrong.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
vanrysss said:
I'm more inclined to buy a Pyzel or one of the other shapers who have world champs under their experience list if I'm spending that kind of money.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Muscles said:
vanrysss said:
I'm more inclined to buy a Pyzel or one of the other shapers who have world champs under their experience list if I'm spending that kind of money.
More likely to have a Pyzel finished by a ghost than an Album though.

And unless you are a high level shredder, boards that work for pro's probably aren't relevant. the clip of kerr above is a perfect example - any average surfer would be on a step up or semi gun on a wave that size and with that power, and he's cruising on a 5'4.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Muscles said:
vanrysss said:
On the flip side of that, while I'm happy for a shaper to have top-level (or world champ) pros on their boards,
I have absolutely zero interest in the designs those guys are riding in contests, as it's simply not relevant to my
surfing and the waves I surf every day. I try to be realistic about whether a board will work for me.
Look forward to hearing your feedback/results, Aruka. That design sounds interesting.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
It will be here tomorrow and hopefully I'll have a chance to ride it later in the week although I just got a new Stamps Banjo fish so I gotta give that one a thorough flogging as well.

I got this album with a few specific waves/conditions in mind and I don't want to do that thing where I paddle it out for the first time in total garbage. But I will if I have to.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Around 2003 or 2004 Album was selling cool looking retro boards on ebay. Price wasn't too crazy so I bought a keel fish with swirly bird resin. When it came to shipping he quoted me a high price and we went back and forth with some scathing emails about how I thought he was ripping me off. I cancelled the order and then had to go through an ordeal on paypal. Sorry about that Matt! Hahhaa.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
2004 was the beginning of the rebirth of the fish design

At the T&C factory I told the owner Fishes were going to be big ! :)

He replied like many others - They don't work

I pulled up the video of a young Daniel Tompson riding his Pavel fish ripping

That was the beginning of fish production at T&C

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Greg Griffin said:
2004 was the beginning of the rebirth of the fish design

At the T&C factory I told the owner Fishes were going to be big ! :)

He replied like many others - They don't work

I pulled up the video of a young Daniel Tompson riding his Pavel fish ripping

That was the beginning of fish production at T&C
I'd say 1994 was start of the rebirth with Tom Curren's Bawa session on the Peterson Fireball fish, then things went crazy four years later in 1998 when Lost's 5'5" x 19 1/4" video came out.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Well; consumers thought they were fish based, since they had "fish" in both model's names. Whether or not they're Lis-based fish designs or what you determine to be a fish, the interest in "fishes" predates the 2004 date you referenced.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I made Fish designs then for large companies

Drew Brophy was super excited showing me his Lost board since he airbrushed my Fish designs years before .

For some time "surfers" called everything with a swallow tail a fish due to those 2 non fish designs .

Was that correct - Hell No ! ;-)

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Haha yeah anything with a swallowtail was a "fish." I had a 6'1 x 19" x 2 3/8" swallowtail that was my fish. 6'1 is my step up now.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
laidback said:
Surfboards on ebay... :grin2:

I'm sure his shaping is better at this point
Back then not many people selling boards on Ebay. Only vintage and brand new hand shapes. Now it's all pop outs and softies.