Album Townsend model

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Was checking these out recently on the Album website. There are a few in stock from 6'4"-6'8". It's anew model for 2019 with not much of a description.

"Midlength paddle power & glide, asym speed, feel & spark"

Kind of ticking some boxes for me since I have been wanting a midlength and I've really been digging twinnies. Just a cruisy board for days where I'm tired but still want to get wet or just wanna practice surfing a longer rail line without going full on Egg/Longboard. Plus I've never ridden an Asym or a board from Album and have been curious on both counts. They sure aren't cheap for a PU/PE board but I've always thought they looked pretty good and there are some in stock so I wouldn't have to wait 6 months for a Burch or the like. I wish they had a picture of the rocker or more of a description as far as intended wave size, etc.

Anyone felt one up or otherwise got the inside scoop?

Townsend

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
https://m.facebook.com/albumsurf/photos/a.10150586891565853/10157145254900853/?type=3
Hate to say but fb ease of use allows shapers easy forum for ? about boards etc :shrug:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah I don't have facebook any more. I don't want to go on a whole rant but Zuckerberg can suck a fat one.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Aruka- my buddy just got an album asym fish (fascination I believe) - it looks really freakin good - pretty modern feel IMO. Not that that's constructive/helpful in any meaningful way - but I say go for it!

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I wouldn’t recommend an Album.

Had a few nice ones in the early teens. Service and turnaround were fantastic back then.
Had a few 2 years ago and the glassing (lights out) was a joke, and i’m fairly light on my boards. I think I was 155 at the time.
Also, the dims on one board came out differently from what I ordered which is very frustrating. Perhaps others have had a different experience, but if you value quality and the shaper getting your dims right I would avoid.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Aruka said:
Yeah I don't have facebook any more. I don't want to go on a whole rant but Zuckerberg can suck a fat one.
This is why I use a aka and never any personal info plus not trying hook up with ole friends tons of good skate and surf updated on spot because of ease :cheers:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
rowjimmytour said:
Aruka said:
This is why I use a aka and never any personal info plus not trying hook up with ole friends tons of good skate and surf updated on spot because of ease :cheers:
Good call and sorry I just re-read my comment and I came off as a bit of a dick. It wasn't directed at you jimmy, always dig your posts:cheers:

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
For the record, i’m sure people have had positive experiences with Album.

I just wanted to point out that my last few were not ideal, from a custom standpoint. If the shape interests you then go for it.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
daave said:
Aruka- my buddy just got an album asym fish (fascination I believe) - it looks really freakin good - pretty modern feel IMO. Not that that's constructive/helpful in any meaningful way - but I say go for it!
One for and one against! Haha. I guess as a new model I shouldn't expect much feedback yet but figured I'd just ask, see if anyone at least had some experience or thoughts on the design and Album in general.

I like that Album seems to focus on these "alt" shapes so it makes sense to try him for something like this.

I appreciate the comment on his glassing ltgiggles. I won't be going custom since the OTR dims look pretty good but I would hate to pay top dollar to have the thing not last a decent time. They are glassed 6/4+4oz. so shouldn't be too flimsy I'd think.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What's this Album guy's story?

Where did he start shaping boards?

He seemed to come out of nowhere with cool looking resin work and a two story shop on El Camino Real.

It seems like it would take a lot of shapers decades to get to this point.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Ltbiggles said:
Had a few nice ones in the early teens. Service and turnaround were fantastic back then.
Had a few 2 years ago and the glassing (lights out) was a joke, and i’m fairly light on my boards. I think I was 155 at the time.
I would suggest going XTR for an Album. A stringered XTR with color would be $100+ cheaper than the stock PU on their site.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Aruka said:
rowjimmytour said:
Aruka said:
Good call and sorry I just re-read my comment and I came off as a bit of a dick. It wasn't directed at you jimmy, always dig your posts:cheers:
No offense taken forgot to mention do fb with handle first post love looking at Bruce Fowler post dude also answers any ?'s :cheers:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
casa_mugrienta said:

He seemed to come out of nowhere with cool looking resin work and a two story shop on El Camino Real.

He also runs a marketing business which I think contributes to some of his success. I've had two boards from him, same model that I ran into the ground. Both held up really well.

He's a really good surfer from what I hear and at least for me has been nothing but great to deal with.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Album Matt paid his dues. Great shaper and Great surfer regular at uppers. Wouldn’t hesitate to order a boar from him. Tried silentnutdreadies album sub boar n it was magic. Want to try one of his asymmetric boarz

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
casa_mugrienta said:

Wondered this myself....seen his big ass sportsmobile in NOC last couple years

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Havoc4k said:
Album Matt paid his dues.
Where?

I'm asking because he seemed to come out of nowhere.

I tried to find out info about his shaping career but I don't see anything on the Google about Album Surfboards prior to 2014.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I feel like I've been seeing his stuff for quite a while?

Always thought he had nice aesthetics but none of the shapes quite spoke to me until now.

I mailed them and Shiloh got back quickly. Says the Townsend is what Matt is riding mostly right now. He's right around my size and riding the 6'8" in every day conditions up to pretty large surf. Says it's a fishy kinda ride which I can dig.

She offered a deal on shipping n they have a used 6'8". Pretty tempted.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
He’s been making boards for quite awhile, and has made customs for quite a few
erBB posters. Bought a Modtwin from ifallalot at one point and it was a damn good
board. Boards used to be very cheap, iirc. Seems to have lots of friends that Surf
extremely well, or he floats boards to great surfers, not sure. He’s def way better
at the marketing game than the vast majority of shapers and that, combined with
people like Kerr ripping on them, seems to have allowed even more success.
Hard to hate on that.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
casa_mugrienta said:
Havoc4k said:
Album Matt paid his dues.
Where?

I'm asking because he seemed to come out of nowhere.

I tried to find out info about his shaping career but I don't see anything on the Google about Album Surfboards prior to 2014.
well i’ve seen him for past 13 years grinding out boards and surfing uppers. prly more than that too. he used ro post here

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
It's the album agency

"After years of building other brands, it was time to build our own.
Album Surf was born from a passion of surfing
As Album Agency took off in 2002, co-founder Matt Parker was already
a year-deep into a newfound hobby —
surfboard shaping."

I'm guessing he's self taught, which makes sense....I'm guessing he's better than he used to be
Good for him