4/3 recommendations

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
that's how I feel the needs is. it got flexibile where it needed to and feels like a second skin

I have my mutant for the really cold air mornings. my wetsuit quiver is getting pretty stupid.

Reactions: MathDebater

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Looking to get Feral 4/3 back zip or Oneill Hyperfreak 4/3 Zipless - - for SoCal this winter. Anyone have one and care to give some feedback? Haven't had a Feral or Oneill for years - - true to size?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Looking to get Feral 4/3 back zip or Oneill Hyperfreak 4/3 Zipless - - for SoCal this winter. Anyone have one and care to give some feedback? Haven't had a Feral or Oneill for years - - true to size?
I just got hyperfreak chest zip hooded. Two surfs. It’s a ridiculously flexible wetsuit. It makes no sense really.

btw, I wear a large normally and got a large. Should have gotten a medium tall.

I’m 6’2 195 - 33 in waist.

Not the warmest 4/3 but good enough for around here. Warmer that my 3/2 Isurus and way more flexible.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I have a large HF and it feels loose after 2 surfs. I do think the legs on an MT would be tight but loosen up over time.
the most important fit to me is chest/back/shoulders. oneill larges spec 41-43.5 chest, mediums 39-41 chest. aint no way in hell my moobs are gonna squeeze into a medium

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
6-3, 180. I wore MT Oneill Psychotech's for years when I was more like 165-170. Best fitting suit of anything OTR. I got an MT Hyperfreak last year and it felt a little tighter in the shoulders but I had also gained weight so I thought that was it. I've gone LT on my last couple suits. Fit is all over the place. Rip Curl LT fits tighter than an Oneill MT. Buell is better but stretches out and has space after a month or so. Probably just going to do another Oneill MT if I can find a deal on black friday.

Reactions: emmohl80 and Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I just got hyperfreak chest zip hooded. Two surfs. It’s a ridiculously flexible wetsuit. It makes no sense really.

btw, I wear a large normally and got a large. Should have gotten a medium tall.

I’m 6’2 195 - 33 in waist.

Not the warmest 4/3 but good enough for around here. Warmer that my 3/2 Isurus and way more flexible.
TB3 is dank duffy scale.

I’m 6’1 160lbs with chicken legs. always worn oneil MT, fit above the waist is great, calves are the first to get loose. kinda wish they made these in ST.

Reactions: MathDebater

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
probably an LT for you, I'm just about 6'1" and thinner framed, the MT is a perfect fit (size 31 waist and usually hovering around 175)
Like I said I normally wear large or LT (if available) in O’Neill suits but The hyperfreak is so flexible/stretchy that it feels loose when I’m in the water.

Reactions: emmohl80

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Will pull the trigger on a Yamamoto based suit on black Friday. Either a 3mm isurus or matuse, will see if they'll even offer a deal .
On a side note, my super flexy RC flashbomb was great the first season but became broken down and leaky the next season with moderate use.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Will pull the trigger on a Yamamoto based suit on black Friday. Either a 3mm isurus or matuse, will see if they'll even offer a deal .
On a side note, my super flexy RC flashbomb was great the first season but became broken down and leaky the next season with moderate use.
FWIW, I have (and liked) a Matuse Scipio 3mil full, but it is nowhere close to the fit/quality/feel of my new Isurus 3mm zipperless.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Like I said I normally wear large or LT (if available) in O’Neill suits but The hyperfreak is so flexible/stretchy that it feels loose when I’m in the water.
as long as there is no sagging neoprene you should be alright, the suit needs to hug the skin to be effective. soon enough you'll adjust to the feeling and it won't even be noticeable.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
as long as there is no sagging neoprene you should be alright, the suit needs to hug the skin to be effective. soon enough you'll adjust to the feeling and it won't even be noticeable.
ive been surfing in cold water for 40 years. I know how wetsuits are suppose to fit.:trout: